WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Miscellanea

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Well... this sucks.
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:41 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Ever have one of those days where, while you're still waking up, you find out something has happened, or the like, which pretty much ruins the rest of your day? While no has been hurt (physically, at least), I'm having one of those days.

To explain quickly: I live in a home which houses two apartments. There is a small basement in the house, which we and our neighbers share - we put our washing machine and dryer down there, our neighbors have done the same, and we also use it for storage. They use the back of the basement. We use the corner that is tucked underneath the stairs. Our landlord did, at one point, tell us that we -could- use the basement for storage. We put my rabbit's old cage down there (the one we are currently using is basically a loan from a friend. If she ever needs it, she's getting it back ASAP), along with all of our christmas decorations (some of which are decades old and have a lot of personal meaning), plus the tree.

Well, not that long ago, our washing machine was apparently acting up, and would cause massive puddles in the basement around it - never going so far as to touch our storage. Eventually, our landlord and his lackeys came in, removed the washing machine, did some tests - they fixed the problem, and after several days, retruned the washing machine. Apparently, they decided to do something else as well. With no warning presented to us, they removed everything we had in storage there. They never asked us if it was of any value to us. They never bothered to hand it over for us to store in our apartment until we found somewhere else to put them.

So now, my bunny's original cage is gone, and more importantly, every single christmas decoration is gone, including the stuff from my grandmama, who died of cancer a few years back.

We tried earlier to contact our landlord about it. We don't think it'll be of any use, though. Christmas is gonna suck this year... I know decoratiosn aren't important - but jsut the way they were taken... its really disheartening.

So, now, for actual dicussion.

Any of you ever had something like this happen before? Anyone ever have a nasty landlord?

PS - My mother has been searching for a different apartment to rent since spring. However, certian requirements need to be met, and we haven't found anything that works for us yet. Otherwise we'd have been out of here before this happened. :(

[/rant]
[/whining]

[Edit]: I don't really expect replies to this. I just wanted to get it out somewhere, as its had me frustrated all day so far, and I don't like that feeling....

Post subject: Re: Well... this sucks.
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:27 pm 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

Pretty sure that that's illegal. You ought to threaten to sue. My landlord, once, tried to strong-arm me into paying the repair bill for a shared toilet when I wasn't even the one who broke it. My step mother is a lawyer. So I grab my cell phone, look him in the eye, auto-dial, and start speaking. When he asks me what I'm doing, I simply say: "I'm calling my stepmother, who is a lawyer." He backed down immediately.

I recommend that you get a lawyer's number in the phone book, and do the same.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:58 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

I've actually had something like this happen a month ago.

I was IG upstairs in my room and suddenly I hear my mom ranting about something, so she goes into my room and tells me what happens. My mom's ex-boyfriend sold my dad's canoe to his new girlfriend without consent from ME, its actual owner. Now my dad died when I was about 6 or 7 years old so I typically got pissed.

I can't sue him for what he's got because he has absolutely nothing. If we ask for the canoe back, my family would be threatened because my mom's ex-boyfriend's girlfriend is a crackhead and her ex-fiance just got let out of jail from a sentence for murder. I also find out that they moved closer to us, just across town instead of living a town away. The cops were called the day we found out all of this and nothing happened so we got screwed...

Sometimes he goes to our house when no one is around (or when he thinks no one is around) so the next time he intrudes I'll have the right to serve what he's got coming to him. That's how ~I'll~ settle it.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:23 pm 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

I'm having something like it now, although not on such a large scale.
Our landlord reckoned he had the plumbing fixed before we moved in. Now, 18 months later, we find it's been leaking for the whole time.
Pipes are fixed now, but the inside of the wall is stuffed. The landlord saw it, before it got fixed, and now we're being kicked out because "he will be using it as a personal residence" (quote from the letter).
We have 60 days (56 now) to find a new place. I looked and there was a total of 11 we could try... that's down to 5 now, I believe.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 am 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

I agree. Sue the living crap out of them. Or at least threaten to..or show that you are in the process of doing so.

One of my best friends rented out a place and at one point was going through a serious illness so much so that she and her husband stayed in the hospital for weeks and her kids were taken to her parents house to be watched. When she got better and came back to her rental house she found a whole new family living there..and half of her kids clothes, toys, property in trash bags on the lawn. All of the really -good- property she had in the house was taken by the landlord and either used or sold off in a garage sale. He had assumed apparently that the house was abandoned and went nuts on a free-for-all and got a new tennant asap. My friend still never got -all- of her stuff back.

Landlords suck. I hope you can find some way to get some of your belongings back! I say badger the hell out of him until he caves.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 pm 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

>.< there seems to be some mistake, Shea. We're being kicked out, not reposessed or anything.
Thanks though. :D

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:02 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Well, persistance paid off. They have returned most of the stuff they removed (At least part of the cage has be lost, although they promised to look for it.).

So... oh boy is that a relief. I hope things work out for you guys, as well! *Hug.*

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:19 pm 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

Arinu i have no idea what you are talking about. I was speaking of a friend that does not play this game or talk on these forums at all that lives near me. And any advice or well wishes was given mostly towards the original poster. I do not recall mentioning anything related to you. My post just ended up coming after yours.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:20 pm 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

Alesu wrote:
Well, persistance paid off. They have returned most of the stuff they removed (At least part of the cage has be lost, although they promised to look for it.).

So... oh boy is that a relief. I hope things work out for you guys, as well! *Hug.*

Also, grats on this! Keep pestering them for your cage or tell them they owe you money for it! ;)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:00 pm 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

Gah, yeah my bad. Was half asleep.
And congradulations on getting your stuff back. I hope you manage to get the rest back :) GL.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:18 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Shea wrote:
Arinu i have no idea what you are talking about. I was speaking of a friend that does not play this game or talk on these forums at all that lives near me. And any advice or well wishes was given mostly towards the original poster. I do not recall mentioning anything related to you. My post just ended up coming after yours.

This could have and should have been stated without attitude. Please keep it civil.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:52 pm 
Forum Troll King

I didn't detect any attitude or hostility...

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:13 am 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

wow. There was no attitude meant in my statement. I was simply puzzled by their response and was letting them know my first post was more aimed towards someone else as it seemed they misunderstood who I was speaking about.

Please try not to read more into words than need be on a forum. It is very hard to catch "attitudes" or "moods" simply by text someone writes.

If arinu feels I was giving him or her an attitude I apologize as that was not my intent. I was simply trying to correct a misunderstanding.

Thanks.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:08 pm 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

It's fine. I didnt detect anything. But then again, i've been half asleep for all three of these posts.
So, back to the topic at hand :D

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:35 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

If I read attitude where there was none I apologize as well.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General » Miscellanea