WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Miscellanea

Post subject: Portable NWN
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:44 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

I had a brain wave today and I don't have the equipment to test it out. I've always been interested in Portable Apps, they seems like really nice, convenient things. You can install a program onto a USB stick or an SD card and run it from anywhere, never actually having to actually install it. Particularly nice for people who go from a desktop to a laptop often and don't want to lose any settings or anything.

When I had the realization about being able to drag and drop your entire NWN folder to reinstall, without ever having to have the disks (see here), it got me thinking. I bet you could just drag and drop that whole folder onto a USB stick or an SD card and play it from anywhere, even an office computer that doesnt allow you to install programs (not that any of the hard working people here would dream of doing that). My NWN folder is nearly 10GB, so it would take a hefty disk to copy it to. But flash memory has been getting cheaper and cheaper. Also, I don't have a windows machine to try it with, lol.

This has been a ramble, courtesy of Shifty's brain [/ramble].

Shifty are the eyes of the gambler...

Post subject: Re: Portable NWN
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:03 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Might work...unfortunately, my NWN directory is 14 GB in size. My biggest flash stick is 8 GB. Shall have to investigate! Muahahah

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:41 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

I'm reminded, by myself, that a test could easily be done on a traditional rotating media HDD, to see if the concept works. Before anyone goes out to buy a 16 GB USB stick. I am also reminded, by myself, that my only currently working external HDD is tied up with Time Machine...

Shifty are the eyes of the gambler...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:30 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

I'm run the toolset off of my 300GB external HDD before. There were technical issues here there but it worked for the most part. I haven't tried running the game though. Perhaps one day. *shrugs*

Board index » General » Miscellanea