WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Miscellanea

Post subject: Best Christmas Present /Ever!/
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:06 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Okay, so I was out on Christmas Eve with my mom doing last minute food shopping for our Christmas dinner when my phone rang on the drive home. It was my boyfriend so I answered it, ignoring my mom's irritated look when she realized who I was talking to. Apparently he needed to know my ring size, I told him, he then started muttering about quarters and what they're made of and what years the make-up changed. I didn't understand what he was talking about and he didn't explain at first, so we hung up and I helped Mom get all the groceries and assorted other crap into the house, carefully dodging the ice patches and yapping Papillion.

Several hours later he called me again, this time he just wanted to talk but he was still muttering about coins and years and metals, finally I asked him, "Babe, are you starting a coin collection or something?" I honestly had no clue what he was going on about, and he answered, "Love, earlier I asked your ring size and now I'm looking up coins that are mostly silver or gold, what do you think I'm doing?" I immediately said, in all my brilliance, "Oh..." facepalm

He had been looking for a quarter that was mostly or entirely made of silver so he could make me a ring out of it. He did eventually find one, but I didn't completely believe that he was going to make me a ring! I should have known better :P Christmas morning came, I was spending it with my boyfriend's family before going back home to have Christmas there. It was utter chaos, and in the middle of everything he slips a black velvet box out of his pocket and hands it to me while quietly saying, "Merry Christmas." I open it, and inside is a plain silver band, obviously hand-made. I was stunned for a second and then I was practically vibrating in my seat with excitement. I quickly tried it on, it was a little too big for my ring finger but it fits my middle finger perfectly. That's completely okay with me as he spent nine hours tapping a heated quarter with a weighted spoon to get the quarter into the right shape before drilling out the middle and smoothing the inside. This was after he had already spent 6 additional hours on a gold coin that turned out to be mostly copper and so worthless (not a fan of green finger bands). So he got like no sleep Christmas Eve so he could have it done in time for Christmas.

I am just in awe of this ring, it's nothing fancy, but it means so much more to me because of all the work he put into making it for me. When he gets me an engagement ring and later a wedding ring in a year or so, I think I'll still always wear this ring, if not on my hand then around my neck, because of what it means to me.

Post subject: Re: Best Christmas Present /Ever!/
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:23 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

This is the only thing in my head reading this:

Awwwwww. :3

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:04 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

That's sweet! Post a picture of it. :D I got a great Christmas present that just turned two on Christmas, that's my best present evar. :)

"I sense a costume opportunity!"

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:11 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Awww :) I'll do my best to get a pic, but it's strangely difficult to get a decent picture of a ring, on or off my finger it doesn't matter. :P

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:28 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

The pack demandes pictures! :lol:

Try getting a good camera, rings are small and generally need a good zoom to be seen correctly. Also try using a lamp for the light etc etc... :D
You are so lucky!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:46 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

My deepest apologies for not posting these sooner, I had to go out and get a replacement phone after a water incident and my phone is the only thing resembling a camera I own, thankfully it takes decent pics :) (Sorry for the super-sized pics :P)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:39 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

That is really adorable. :D

Board index » General » Miscellanea