WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Miscellanea

Post subject: First day/class at Hogwarts general stuff by Stingray888.
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:12 pm 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

Well, I have to say I'm impressed with a lot I saw/experienced today in the game. I like the look of the school interiors, clothes/uniforms and the detail everyone puts into role playing. Mind you, this level of role playing is kind of new to me so I found myself (in my head) bouncing back and forth between being totally engrossed to the point of not realizing everyone's role playing things (which are not actually there/visually happening) to the opposite extreme. Causing me a weird back and forth thing while playing.

I'll also admit that I'm not quick reading the text and I tend to miss stuff and find myself scrolling back occasionally. Hence, I take pictures. Even more than I normally would. I've found that when playing DM/GM run adventures, I sometimes miss things that are happening. Taking pictures during the adventure (I found) is a good way to help me go back and read what I didn't catch ie: names, places, maps, important information etc. This being the case, I decided on the fly that my character (Gretta) should have an interest in photography. It just kind of works. I'll eventually post these pictures to my PhotoBucket page and if anyone wants to check them out, I'll make sure to leave a link to it somewhere in this forums site (where would be appropriate?).

I also want to point out, if you notice (as I have today), that I'm missing capitalization at the beginning of my sentences, I'm not doing that on purpose. I keep holding the shift but apparently I must be releasing it before I hit the other character. This is something that I've noticed happening a lot in this game (NWN) and especially if I'm typing fast (to make sure I don't lag behind in the conversation). Hopefully this will not be an issue in game.

As far as the race went, I knew I had no chance of winning. Why you ask? Ever since I started playing this game online, no matter what character I play or what characters others are playing, (for reasons I cannot explain) I always seem to fall behind when it comes to keeping up in a foot race. I also didn't assume this server would be any different from the other I play on. HOWEVER...... if there is ever another race to be had, let's do the same thing but this time the characters involved use horses instead of running on foot. If that is ever the case, I'm betting I'll have a real chance at winning. Once again, I have no idea why my characters are a tad faster on horseback than on foot than everyone else. I'm open to suggestion on this of course.
(If anyone wants to do a 'who can cross game screens first type of race' I'm all in as I have yet to find anyone who can definitively beat me in this area. 8) )

Lastly, just want to say I had fun today and will be around for more (when I'm free and not on the other server I play on). Was nice meeting everyone! :)

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus van Pelt.

"We wouldn't want to corrupt the Romans!" - Peeves to Emily-Jade Hodgkins.

Post subject: Re: First day/class at Hogwarts general stuff by Stingray888
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:53 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I'm glad to hear you had some fun today!

As far as missing capitalization, no big deal. Not to me at any rate. :) You'll have one or two players that might pester you about it, but I'd just ignore them. Or find out if something's up with your keyboard, as in my case it's usually crumbs from the kids snacking and sneaking up to the laptop.

A few other people have issues keeping up during events when so much is being typed at once. The host (Calan/Liss) included! Just do what you can, and don't stress. Many of us try to type in whisper to keep the clutter down. And feel free to ask if you feel you've missed something, just send a tell or something like "What did she say her name was?" or "What did the teacher tell them to do?"

A while back we had a character that was always slower while walking than the rest of them! I never did figure out why, but it was fun because it became part of the roleplay. :D He would always just stroll behind.

As for the photography, it's great to have a hobby like that! Just keep in mind that she either needs to use a wizard/magical camera, or an entirely mechanical one. Since regular muggle technology (Digital camera, Polaroid etc) wouldn't work on Hogwart's grounds.

Was nice to rp with you as well. :) See you IG!

"I sense a costume opportunity!"

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:26 pm 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

Since I can't imagine using a monstrosity like Colin Creevey's camera while flying around on a broom, I guess it will have to be magical in nature.....and compact (for obvious reasons). :D

I'll say it was a gift from my father for making the 'cut' into Hogwarts.

FYI: I think I may have a interesting role play idea for the pointed ears on my character (if allowed).

I think I'm going to have to make a character profile page soon......

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus van Pelt.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:11 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

You do know that you can save the logs of your NWN sessions and go back over all the convos etc.?

Just go into the NWNplayer.ini file in your NWN folder and put:

ClientEntireChatWindowLogging=1

Then the log of the most recent session will show up under logs. You have to save it under a different name before you open NWN again though or it will be overwritten.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:27 pm 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'm looking into it right now. :)

Still, I have to admit it's more fun reading them as they are happening with the visuals of the pics. For example, the person wearing the green Quidditch robes was saying she 'reaches out putting a hand on his shoulder to help steady him'. In the picture I see her arm extended. How is that possible? A specific kind of emote? Curious minds want to know! :)

And 'Football's is for sissies' ..... I have to agree because HOCKEY is where it's at!!! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:34 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

You can also download a program that you can use every time you logout of NWN (or crash). A window will pop up and automatically save the current log under a name of your choice (you type it into the window) with the added tag of date/time which you choose the format for. It's called the Gnomish Log Rotator and I love that thing to death. I tend to leave for weeks, sometimes months, at a time when school or RL gets to hectic and being able to go back and read the logs of RP that happened ages ago is very helpful to get back in character :)

Here's a link to where you can download this:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=other.Detail&id=155 (the one I use)

OR

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Other.Detail&id=184 (the updated version)

Have fun!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:32 pm 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

You people rock! Even more good reason for my being here! I'm going to look into this right now. Thanks!!! :D

Oh and nice race the other day. Next time I get the inside lane.... :p

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:14 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Kristina wrote:
You can also download a program that you can use every time you logout of NWN (or crash). A window will pop up and automatically save the current log under a name of your choice (you type it into the window) with the added tag of date/time which you choose the format for. It's called the Gnomish Log Rotator and I love that thing to death. I tend to leave for weeks, sometimes months, at a time when school or RL gets to hectic and being able to go back and read the logs of RP that happened ages ago is very helpful to get back in character :)

Here's a link to where you can download this:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=other.Detail&id=155 (the one I use)

OR

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Other.Detail&id=184 (the updated version)

Have fun!

Yours automatically pops up and saves? I have to remember to call mine up and save it. What did you do?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:13 am 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

Oh my god, what didn't I do! I spent nearly (headless Nick) a half hour trying to get it and the game to start up properly on my windows 7 machine. In fact, it was working long before I could figure out why the game wouldn't start up using the .bat file.

I set the .bat file for compatibility with Windows xp service pack 3.
I edited the .bat file and mine looks like this:

@echo off
SET GLR_PATH="C:\Program Files (x86)\Gnomish Log Rotator"
D:\Games\Fantasy\NeverwinterNights\nwn.exe
cd %GLR_PATH%
glr.exe

Hope this helps you out.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:47 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Charity wrote:
Yours automatically pops up and saves? I have to remember to call mine up and save it. What did you do?

No, I have an icon on my desktop that I click to bring up the window, it's habit for me now and I hardly think about it anymore. Sorry about the confusion.

stingray888 wrote:
You people rock! Even more good reason for my being here! I'm going to look into this right now. Thanks!!! :D

Oh and nice race the other day. Next time I get the inside lane.... :p

Lol! You caught me ;) Sara had a Slytherin moment I guess -grins-

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:41 pm 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

Who is this Zoe Petrova I'm seeing popping up on Charity's posts? Could she be the latest incarnation of the Petrova doppelganger? If so, she better watch out because when Klaus finds out, he'll Huffle and Puffle and blow her 'house' in!!! (Hufflepuff house) :mrgreen:

Here is the link to my Photobucket page where I have posted pictures from the game (Gretta's perspective).
http://s1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5 ... %20Potter/

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:17 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

stingray888 wrote:
Who is this Zoe Petrova I'm seeing popping up on Charity's posts? Could she be the latest incarnation of the Petrova doppelganger? If so, she better watch out because when Klaus finds out, he'll Huffle and Puffle and blow her 'house' in!!! (Hufflepuff house) :mrgreen:

There are other Petrovas? I haven't played Zoe in ages because the person who was playing her sister was never on.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:12 am 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

That was kind of joke on my part. I thought someone might be familiar with The Vampire Diaries tv show. That's where I got the reference from. Too much to explain, you'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about. Good show though.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:48 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

stingray888 wrote:
That was kind of joke on my part. I thought someone might be familiar with The Vampire Diaries tv show. That's where I got the reference from. Too much to explain, you'd have to see it to know what I'm talking about. Good show though.

I used to watch the show, but haven't watched the most recent season. Last thing I remember was Damian's girlfriend getting bitten by a werewolf and getting sick.

Zoe just has Russian ancestry. Petrova is a common name.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:53 pm 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

I remember that episode. Rose didn't make it but Damen can't be tied down to anyone for long. Third season is all about the 'originals' dating back to the days of the vikings.
Nice to know there is someone else who has seen this show. :)

Board index » General » Miscellanea