WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Miscellanea

Post subject: What was wrong with NWN2?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:30 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Looking around the RPGs lately, there really doesn't seem to be anything that compares with NWN for the ability to make your own stuff (and DMing).

I remember when NWN2 came out, noone seemed keen to transfer to it, despite better graphics etc. What was wrong with it?

Post subject: Re: What was wrong with NWN2?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:07 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Did you even try multiplayer on it?

I did.

It was horrible and it barely worked.

I can't remember very many specifics but the main thing that drove me up the wall was that whenever my partner moved to another area, I was dragged along behind. We literally could not be in separate parts of the module; not to mention the fact I could barely stand the interface.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:01 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Multiplayer was dismal. It was designed to compete with WoW, and wasn't nearly as customazable as NWN1. It also simply couldn't handle a module the size of WoHP, which would not transfer to NWN2 anyway, it would have to be rebuilt from scratch. All these in combination is why NWN2 was something of a flop, at least compared to NWN1. I never played it, but I hear the single player was actually rather good and it's only really redeeming factor.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

The multiplayer was too finicky for me to handle. Hell, I didn't even download any PWC files, or whatever they're called, so I can't actually say if it was any good.

The single player was okay, I guess. I liked the warlock class. Infinite Inferal Blasts ftw! The camera was a pain in the [censored]. It'd go too far in the wrong direction, and then I'd have to pause the game just to get it in the right angle. The story ended up being too much like the one in Planescape: Torment, so I got too nostalgic and ended up playing that instead.
Isometric 2D <3

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:42 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I never did try Multiplayer, pretty much because the server I'd been playing on in NWN1 took one look at it and said, [censored] this, I'm staying with NWN1. XD

I did try the single player campaign, but I never finished it. It was pretty and the story wasn't bad; it was just too long and I was sure I'd already beaten the big bad guy 3 times but he still kept coming back.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:45 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Same as what the other people say. Multiplayer wasn't done great, but singleplayer was rather good, and the expansions added some interesting stories. But, as with all/most singleplayer games, the value diminish fast.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:18 pm 
Forum First Year
Forum First Year

I actually bought the game on Steam last week, it seemed decent to me. I had tried it out back when it was first released but there were a few issues, most of which seem to be fixed now and the Multiplayer feels much more polished. Perhaps people's opinions would be different if they tried the game recently; it seems like the patches released over the years have actually improved the gameplay.

I haven't had a chance to really get into NWN2 as of yet, whenever I play something it's usually NWN on this server but I plan on exploring the sequel sometime in the near future, just don't know which servers to go for. It seems to me that there are a lot less servers on NWN2, although they seem to be slightly more active. I imagine it has to do with the fact that module-building on NWN2's somewhat more complex, although it offers more options.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:06 pm 
I just got NWN2 as well, not from Steam though. From the NWN Complete set, which includes like my 4th copy of NWN Original Campaign (one copy was given to me). It's not bad so far. Takes some getting used to though. I find the different "Modes" nearly useless, opting for the one most like NWN1.

I haven't tried multiplayer, so I can't comment on that, but I thought I saw what looked like persistent worlds when I quickly browsed the games online. Either way, there aren't enough improvements, that I've seen, to in any way justify rebuilding WoHP using NWN2.

It has been pretty fun playing the campaign so far and the crafting system reminds me of the new system in place here. You put items in the workbench and use your smithing hammer or cast a spell on the bench.

Board index » General » Miscellanea