WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Miscellanea

Post subject: Colorado fires
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

For those who don't know, Wolfcat (Jackie) and Shalyn (Kadaja) have been evacuated from their house in Colorado Springs because it is in an extremely high risk area for the fires. Shalyn is actually visiting me here in CA, but Wolfcat is still in CO and is staying in a safe area.

We don't know how far the fire will make it into the town, but it has already well into Colorado Springs. While there is a lot of hope that the fire will be stopped in time, there is a very real possibility that Wolfact and Shalyn's house will be hit by the fire. Many houses have already been lost, and many have been saved.

Prayers, and even well-wishes, are very greatly appreciated not only for Wolfcat and Shalyn, but for those who have already suffered the loss of their homes, and those who have homes that are in path of the fire- and perhaps especially for those who are on the front lines of the battle with the flames. I hear they have over 800 firefighters working tirelessly to save Colorado Springs. We have been listening to the scanner on the internet, and these people are doing absolutely everything within their power to protect lives, and save homes.

I can't really give frequent updates, but I'll post if anything changes significantly.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post subject: Re: Colorado fires
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:38 am 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

This is unfortunate. I hope for the best for everyone! Keeping a positive attitude all will turn out well.

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus van Pelt.

"We wouldn't want to corrupt the Romans!" - Peeves to Emily-Jade Hodgkins.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:21 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

It's good to hear that they're both safe! I hope that the firefighters and community members of Colorado Springs stay safe as well.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:21 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Colorado Springs is in my prayers, but it's a good thing Wolfcat and Shalyn are safe.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:30 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Just an update, the fire continues to burn its way into Colorado Springs, last I heard containment is still at only 5%. Wolfcat and Shalyn's house, to our knowledge, hasn't been reached by the fire yet. It's very difficult to tell exactly where the fire is based on the news, it moves much faster than can be reported. Last update showed the fire still was a distance away, but is heading in that direction. Thankfully, based on what I have seen in the maps, it does appear that the firefighting effort has put a significant dent in the ferocity of the flames, but it's far, far from over.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:23 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Yes, very far from over. I heard on the news about a week ago, a fire chief was discussing the fires. He said he couldn't even begin to estimate when they would have it under control, but if he had to guess, he would have said anywhere from three weeks to a few months. This was a week ago, the fires have grown much larger since then.

All my best wishes are with you and your family, dude.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:43 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

The last line of defense between the house and the fire is Centennial Road, a main road that forms a north-south barrier between their neighborhood and the fire. So far, the fire has not crossed the road, as of this morning. If it does, it is very unlikely the fire will be stopped in time before reaching the house.

Firefighters continue to save homes in the line of the fire, but many are being completely destroyed.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

The fire continues to burn but firefighters have made significant progress. News reports say that structure damage has for the most part been stopped. Shalyn and Wolfcat's home has been downgraded to "pre-evacuation" which means they are not currently evacuated, which is great news. A simple shift in winds could change that back to a full evacuation, but for now, this news is very good.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:22 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Sorry for the late post. Wish I would've known they were evacuated, would've offered wolfcat a place to stay. Uhm... I'm fine for those who were worried. I am on the other side of the city. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers for everyone here.

First Fire, now shootings... lets hope that's the end

Board index » General » Miscellanea