WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Miscellanea

Post subject: Weekly NWN D&D Campaign
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:27 am 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

Exactly what the title says: I'd like to start running a weekly, RP-centric campaign with 5 or so players. I will be DMing; custom world, with a focus on storytelling and immersion.

Would anyone be interested, perchance? We could probably start running as early as October sometime, my schedule permitting. It will ideally be long term with the same players, following their journeys.

Post subject: Re: Weekly NWN D&D Campaign
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:29 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

That sounds awesome! It'd be cool if this was done on HP (minus D&D), but like, five players (or more, whatever) who bump into each other and just get involved with some crazyness, DM permitting!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:15 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

WoHP is up all the time. You do have more options than just sitting in the EH waiting for something to happen, you know. :P

Sounds like fun, unfortunately I'm not really in a place where I can commit to the same evening every week. Good luck finding people though!

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:51 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

I could do this Thursdays and Sundays! :)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:35 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Sunday sounds good.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:45 pm 
Yendys wrote:
WoHP is up all the time. You do have more options than just sitting in the EH waiting for something to happen, you know. :P

In all fairness there isn't really much to do outside of the normal routine for some people. Players can't spawn creatures, NPCs, random props, etc. to use for their own adventure. Not everyone enjoys purely conversational play. Some people like the idea of doing things they -can't- do IRL, like casting spells, fighting monsters and other things that they'd never be able to do themselves.

Also, even if they could spawn props, it would be hard to control both your character and whatever other facets are required for what's going on. I've heard DMs say how difficult it can be to juggle everything that needs be done. Ultimately that's the point of a having a DM though, whether it's digital or on paper. To have someone provide a setting and situation for characters to react to. Otherwise they wouldn't have created the position and players would just have at it with their dice.

If you extrapolate it out, why do you even need other players or the NWN engine? You could just play out the whole story in you own mind without relying on anyone or anything. Demanding that players understand that there can't be a DM on 24/7 to run things is perfectly reasonable. Demanding that people create an imagined adventure with no props or control over the environment is not.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:48 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Yeah, we can do cool stuff on our own, no doubt! It'd just be easier if there was a DM involved so no one got overboard with what happened, or so that there'd be one say on what actually occurs should a group of students venture out to the FF (it'd be massively confusing if Brennan, for example emoted a huge spider coming out while I emoted, I dunno, a dementor (which likely wouldn't even happen) coming out, and then arguments of that never happening ICly later on when a DM catches wind and it's just off the wall) or something! :) Cause at least a DM could keep it organized, or OK the idea before it even happened. Of course, there's nothin' stopping any of us from PMing you guys with a thought for an outplaying of events and making sure that's cool. It was just a suggestion, though. Let's be chill! Oh, and we should probably stop derailing Ms. Erin's topic. Sorry! :P

Board index » General » Miscellanea