Board index » Server » Character Bios

Post subject: Mary Maywell
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:36 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Mary Celeste Maywell

"You've got to love everybody / Make 'em feel good about themselves"

The Presidents of the United States of America - Love Everybody

OOC Note: It seems the trend for many players is to make their bios more FOIC by the day. Mine is fairly open, since I have a wish that anyone who wants to OOCly learn more about my character should feel free to do so. It should be obvious that one takes Mary's relationship with one's character into consideration when using this information ICly. For instance, someone spending time with Mary on the server could presumably learn her favorite food or color. Use reasonable judgement deciding on what your characters would know and not. A final warning; this bio is painfully long and detailed. Don't strain your eyes reading it.

Personal Info

House: Ravenclaw
School positions: Former Head Girl.
Nicknames: With a reputation as a stuck up, anal-retentive, strict prefect, Mary's earned the rather unflattering nickname 'Mare'. Certain students do use it lovingly, though.
Year: 7th
Blood Status: Pure
Wand: Bethlehem Olivewood, 9 1/4'', core of Veela hair. A wand with strong spiritual and Christian symbolism behind it, her wand (Mary's second, replacing a lost one) fits her perfectly, augmenting her strengths with "softer" charms.

School results: Mary's been an -excellent- student for years. Despite not always being the most talented witch in all endeavors, she's always compensated with a rigorous work ethic, and her grades are for the most part fantastic.
Favorite Classes: History of Magic, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Astronomy. She's taken more to Charms recently.
Least Favorite Classes: None that she currently has. She used to detest Potions and Herbology, and dropped them both like bad habits after her OWLs. She has a thorn in her side for Muggle Studies, too, even though she never took it.
Favorite Teacher: Professor Lupin, Professor Binns, Professor Flitwick.
Least Favorite Teacher: Professor Snape, who she hates with a passion, and Professor Lockhart, who she thinks is a complete disgrace to the school.

OWLs: 10; History of Magic, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Astronomy (Outstanding), Divinations (Exceeds Expectations), Charms, Potions, Herbology, DADA, Adv. Transfiguration (Acceptable).

Trademark Charm: Expelliarmus; Mary's defensively oriented, and would rather disarm an opponent than attack with hexes.
Broom: Mary rides a firebolt, but regularly uses an old, battered Cleansweep Eleven, out of sentimental attachment.
Pet: A female cat named Tilly; it seems to detest Mary, regularly scratching her, but Mary has never given up hope on making her pet love her as she loves it.
Patronus: Wolf.

Career plans: Mary's formulated a few ambitious career plans, which she has discussed with her Head of House.

Height: 4'11'' / 149 cm
Weight: 117 lbs. / 53 kg
Hair Color: Dyed brown, naturally light blonde
Eye Color: Light blue
Blood Type: O+
Date of Birth: 10th of March
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Birthplace: Edinburgh, Scotland

Distinguishing habits: Cocking her head in a cutesy manner, whistling to herself.

Appearance

Where Mary was usually a very skinny girl, at 17 she still short for her age, but she's gained weight, both in female curves, as well as muscle. Her waistline and hips have all started to become quite voluptous, but she still remains very small and fragile-looking. Her light blonde hair is quite rich and curly. Mary's a cute girl with a pug nose and freckles. Mary has a rather nasty, four inch wide scar across her left shoulder, which she usually covers up. Her demeanor normally ranges from bright, friendly and helpful, to annoyingly chirpy and cheerful. When not in school robes she usually wears bright, colorful clothes, and her hands are adorned with several rings.

Personality

To most people, Mary'd normally seem incredibly bubbly, happy, and somewhat stuck up. She usually has tons of energy, and great enthusiasm. Anyone who observes her over time will probably come to note that she does have a fiery temper, although it's rarely unleashed. Knowing Mary closer, though, she has strong mood swings; when she's down, she usually hides out, brooding. Mary's core values are passion, love, friendship and loyalty, which take precedence over anything else in her life. Mary's a great friend to have, someone who takes great care of hers when they need it. However, she has proven a far less faithful lover; ruled by her passions, Mary's had a hard time not stepping on hearts in her years at Hogwarts. She is quick to love, but restless and spineless at times. In her dealings with others, Mary's optimistic and cheery, but she can be judgmental towards people she feels she shares little with. Also, she is quite sensitive, and can turn depressed or upset over slights. Since Mary's never been particularly gifted or talented in the ways of magic, she compensated early on with a strong work ethic, which has been showing in both her grades and her skills on the Quidditch pitch.

Family and relationships

Mother: Ella Maywell (b. MacAlpine), Ministry of Magic official (Dept. of International Magical Cooperation).
Father: Phil Maywell, freelance journalist and writer.
Siblings: None.

ImageImage

Mary Maywell is of pure blood family; While her mother considers pure blood an important trait in a witch, it's not in Mary's nature to look down on people. However, she does positively identify with her pure wizarding blood, which is getting exaggerated by the day. She is, however, mindful of voicing her opinions, as she knows not everyone appreciates her somewhat elitist views. She was born and raised outside of Edinburgh. One couldn't tell from her accent, though, as both her parents are English; the exception being when she gets very agitated, angry or patriotic, which often makes her Scottish dialect come pouring out. While her family on her father's side is of low status in the Wizarding world, her mother's side is quite influental and wealthy, her mother herself wielding some influence within her Ministry Department.

Hobbies

Mary has been a big Quidditch fan for years. Her room is decorated with banners and scarves of the Montrose Magpies, her favorite team. Beside them hangs a large poster of Eunice Murray, legendary Magpie Seeker, that Mary likes to make small talk with before going to bed. In general, her free time is spent having fun with her friends, occasionally practicing Quidditch (although certainly not in the excessive amounts she used to) and keeping up with her homework. Being an intellectual, she has always been fond of reading and studying, and has a basic command of Latin, as well as knowing a smattering of French. She's started spending a lot more time in solitude, though, disappearing from the castle for hours at a time.

Lucky number: 4.
Flower: Daffodil.
Edibles: Chocolate (preferably white) and strawberry ice cream. For breakfast, scones, pie and pumpkin juice.
Music: The Weird Sisters.
Quidditch: Montrose Magpies; her favorite player is Eunice Murray, legendary Magpies Seeker.

Dislikes
Fears: Speaking in crowds, enclosed spaces.
Pet peeves: Being interrupted in conversation, pranks.
Color: Browns, grays and black, which she finds dreary and dull.
Edibles: Fish.
Quidditch: Wigtown Wanderers.

Biographical Music

Some of this - lyrical or video content - may not be appropriate for anyone underage or generally faint of heart. If this includes you, just avoid it.

On her own identity: Meredith Brooks - B*tch

"I'm a b*tch / I'm a lover
I'm a child / I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed"

On Liss: El Caco - Substitute

"So you're now my heroine
I wish you well
I wish you everything"

On moral values: The Hours - See the Light

"Break open my head then
Fix it
I just feel panicked and sick and full of dread
It's about time I face the truth
Somewhere within all of the darkness there is a light
And I need to find it"

Last edited by Tsunami on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:59 am, edited 172 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:17 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

For the record: Anyone who wants to are welcome to post here with comments or w/e. If the unlikely scenario happens that it becomes a problem, I'll simply edit/remove any problematic posts.

Last edited by Tsunami on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:11 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

A LOT of changes done, obviously. Added an entire section of hobbies, getting clear what a Quidditch nut she is. I also stole a lot of ideas directly from Erin's bio for the snappy facts at the beginning. Thanks.

I did a pretty large update now, including a changes in the personality part (this character really got a life of her own), a complete revision of the Family/Friends, and other miscellaneous changes, plus a new Song of the Moment.

Last edited by Tsunami on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:43 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

4th year update. I'm glad to see Mary's finally stopped crushing on every single person she meets. Good for her. ;)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:54 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Big update. Changed the friends part around to make it more structured, dealing with each of the important people in her life in separate bullet points. If anyone feels left out, I'm a forgetful person; remind me.

I also, obviously, added bits about Angelique, as she's the single most important thing to ever happen to Mary.

Finally, Song of the Moment changed to something far more appropriate.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:17 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Major pre-5th year update. Added a few things, some changes to the personality part. Updated the friends part (adding Evie, among other things), and entirely removed the people on her enemies list, as she's gotten a bit of distance on her problems with the people in question, and Mary rarely if ever carries a grudge.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:53 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

...aaaand update. >_>

Changed the relations part, the song of the moment, and made some other minor changes.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:50 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Bit of an update. Also, moved the horrendously big friends section to post 2.

And subsequently removed the whole thing, tired of updating it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:35 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Updated the picture and told none.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:41 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Added a second new bio pic. Credit to Feargus for the recolor job; I struggled with them alot, so thanks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:26 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Monstrously huge "views of others" section added. I'll never learn. *cries*

Also, I've edited the bio throughout, bolding headlines to make it more eaily read.

...And rewritten the Personality section to somewhat more accurately describe Mary at the moment. The old one was starting to get a bit outdated.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:00 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Added pics of Mary's mother and father, as well as adding the older bio pics I've used, mostly for the curious at heart. Sorry for the humongous size, but it can't be helped.

I am also, as may be apparent, obsessive about this bio (131 updates or so at this point). So I added links to other character's bios next to their names, in case someone wants to surf her friends list.

Huh. I'm probably in violation of forum rules. Oops. I hope JB can forgive me.

Quote:
Although not required or even officially encouraged, it is permissible to include details about ongoing, in-game events and inter-character relationships as they develop and evolve. However, if the level of detail you included necessitates daily updates of your bio, consider reevaluating the content of your bio.

[ More of a piece of free advice than a rule. If you want to drive yourself insaner, have at it! ;) -JB ]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:11 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

7th Year Update. Wow, time has been flying.

Post subject: Re: Mary Maywell
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:43 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Did some changes, particularly to the music section.

Post subject: Re: Mary Maywell
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:03 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Update: Mary's disappeared, which would be common knowledge by now.

I swapped out her picture, and top quote; she's in a new phase.

Board index » Server » Character Bios