Post subject: Feargus MacDale
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:14 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

To know me is to know yourself...

House: Ravenclaw

Year: Sixth

Blood Status: Unclear
-- The number of people with whom Feargus will discuss this can be counted on the hand of a man who has had several fingers ripped off in an accident with a log splitter...

Wand: Hawthorn Dragon Heartstring -- ten and three quarter inches, gracefully curved in a distorted "S" shape. Lightly colored and unstained with some knotwork detail lightly engraved and darkened.

Height: 5'10"

Weight: Proportionate

Hair: Dirty blonde and messy

Eyes: Mint Green

Home: MacDale Estate, Inverness, Scotland

Birthday: December 21st

The MacDale Estate is modeled after "Leys Castle," a real estate south of Inverness

The MacDale Clan castle and estate are located south of Inverness, The Highlands, Scotland. The estate has been in the hands of the MacDale clan for generations. It was given to Lord Claernes Mac Daíhle in 1419 by Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany, Regent King of Scots for his family's service in the Garde Écossaise (Scots Guard) during the Hundred Years War in France.

Among the many tapestries in the castle, there are a few pieces of heraldry which are often and proudly displayed. Among these are the Flag of Scotland (St. Andrew's cross), the Royal Standard of Scotland, the pre-1603 union Royal Coat of Arms, and the MacDale Clan Crest.

Between the Royal Coat of Arms (this version used only before 1603 and a symbol of Scottish independence) and the various paintings and portraits of Robert the Bruce, King of Scots; Sir William Wallace; Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany, Regent King of Scots; and John Stewart, Earl of Buchan, among others -- it is clear that the MacDales have long been powerful supporters of Scottish independence.

Nearby Muggles know the Estate only as an area terribly haunted by ghosts. The castle and grounds are surrounded by the usual wizarding protections.

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei
Everything has an end, only sausage has two

Feargus Comes Home From Durmstrang

Last edited by Shifty on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 91 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:15 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Feargus Through the Ages

Feargus' Biography Archive

What follows below is an archive of the biography I created for Feargus upon "retiring" him. As he is back in play, and he is living before the end of this biography, I am calling this OOC. I know, I know. But hey, he's mine and I'll do what I like with him, hey? :) However, as it did take a fair bit of time to create, and I am rather proud of it, I am keeping it here, along with the archive of his growing-up pictures above.

A Hogwart’s Boy
The Story of Feargus MacDale

Excerpts from “A Hogwarts Boy,” an illustrated, authorized biography of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry graduate Feargus MacDale, by Chudley Kent, with clips from an interview with Mister MacDale

A Hogwarts Boy

Beloved by many and described by esteemed Hogwarts professor Filius Flitwick as “a boy with more brains and heart together than you’ll likely ever meet,” a portrait of Feargus MacDale is a portrait of everyday Hogwarts. The ups and downs, the triumphs and the heartaches will be familiar to anyone who has passed those hallowed halls.

Before Feargus first clasped the hand of Hagrid to board that bounding boat across the lake, he had a home and a family. Feargus grew up on the west coast of Scotland, near Ayrshire, with his mother Samantha, his father William, and his younger sister Siobhan. It was a quiet place for a boy to grow up, with ample opportunity for broom-flying and magical mischief alike.

The MacDales

Image Feargus’ mother was a Hogwarts graduate herself, a Hufflepuff in her day, and a potions expert like few to wear the badger's crest.

Potions master Horace Slughorn recalls her as “a bright, cheery lass – always the first to try something new. Not always with positive results.” She now owns her own bakery attached to her house, where she specializes in baked goods infused with potions.

Feargus’ father is a muggle who grew up in Glasgow, and works there still for the Ministry of Defense. A thin, militaristic man with a smile hard to distinguish from a grimace, he has grudgingly accepted a wizard’s way of life – without the wizard bit, of course. Feargus doesn't know much about what his father does; William MacDale is rarely home. Business trips all over the world take up much of his time.

ImageSiobhan is known from Scotland to Paris and back again as a mistress of mischief supreme. Supposedly asked to leave Beauxbatons Academy (where she studied for her first three years) after an incident involving a Permanent Sticking Charm, a toilet seat, and the bottom of a daughter of a prominent French noble, Siobhan moved into Hogwarts with relish to begin her fourth year of study.

Siobhan was sorted into Gryffindor House and has always been proud of that fact. Feargus says he was never surprised at this:

"Sibby is the bravest girl I know, by a long shot. She's also the loyalest - once ye're friends with Siobhan, she'll be there no matter what."

Mischief notwithstanding (for what is Siobhan without mischief?), she's adapted to life at Hogwarts rather well. One year behind her milder brother, Siobhan has managed to begin her seventh year of study without getting caught breaking any major rules – hearts, of course, are another story.

”Ohh, those poor French girls,” Feargus laughs. “They didn’t know what they were in feyr – but I hardly doubt as they were askin’ feyr it. As feyr me childhood, not much te say really. Peaceful as ye’d like and expect with a sister like Sibby. Which is te say, not at all.” He laughs again.

Firstie

Well, Mister MacDale did eventually leave this “peaceful” childhood and walked bright-eyed and bushy-tailed into the front doors of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Ravenclaw House. And neither he nor they would ever be the same again.

ImageFeargus was known by many as “everyone’s favorite firstie.” He was an affectionate, pleasant boy with a lopsided grin and a dialect sure to disarm even the most hardened cynic. Being the first born, he looked forward to his chance to attend Hogwarts as a wonderful adventure.

He was never surprised by his own sorting either. Feargus was always the more intellectual of the MacDale siblings, though both he and his sister shared a taste for adventure and, as it would turn out, trouble. Feargus says he was just much more skilled at not getting caught.

An apocryphal story, which Feargus himself refuses to admit or deny, states that upon first meeting the notorious Priggo Seville during his first year, Feargus was able evoke a genuine smile and laugh – an act to which no one currently living can lay a claim.

Rocks in a Storm

In his first year Feargus also made many dear friends, some of whom have gone down in Hogwarts lore. He was inundated with friendly acquaintances and friends who came and went throughout his time at Hogwarts. But a few became close to him from the very beginning, and stuck by his side through whatever came at them.

One of the very first people he met at Hogwarts was his future Quidditch Captain Jack Amesworth. Jack and Feargus could be seen side by side nearly any time they weren't in classes, and Feargus says that nothing influenced his early years at Hogwarts more than having Jack with him. His friendship with Jack Amesworth is described by Feargus himself as “the most uplifting, enduring, powerful friendship a boy can have. People ask me if I have a brother. I say ‘Yes, and his name is Jack Amesworth.’” Enough said.

ImageFeargus also met fellow Scot Mary Maywell in his first year. She was the current Ravenclaw prefect and would go on to quickly become Head Girl. Feargus and Mary's relationship was a very emotional one, with tears often flowing freely on both sides. Mary's connection to his homeland and her familiar accent made him feel as if he was back in Ayrshire in front of the hearth. In fact, when Mary and Feargus talked to each other, their dialect would often become so thick that few outside of Scotland itself could have deciphered them.

Mary taught Feargus quite a bit, and many of his early triumphs in his classes were thanks to her tutelage. She also taught him many things you can't use in a classroom, about life and friends and Hogwarts. When asked to describe Mary, Feargus looks thoughtful for a moment. "Every tear I cried, I cried for Mary. Every time I laughed, it was with her. Every triumph I had, she had with me." There aren't many people who can do that to someone, and Mary Maywell was and always will be that person for Feargus.

Mary and Feargus had their trouble here and there, as any boy and girl who are as close as they were would. Even angry words flung from both sides on rare but awful occasions. But Feargus makes it clear that he and Mary are and will always be far stronger for the difficulties they faced.

ImageSara Lamander appeared rather suddenly in Feargus' first year, and she always seemed to pop up in much the same way. She was another friend he would remain close to throughout his time at Hogwarts. As often as not the cause of many of the times Feargus had to seek advice from his other friends, Sara would always hold a special, goofy, completely unpredictable place in Feargus' heart. Despite (or perhaps because of) her repeated leaves of absences, family troubles, werewolf attacks, and general drama, Feargus describes Sara as “always there for ye in a pickle, and tough as nails.”

Another unconfirmed tale states that Sara’s dog once saved Feargus’ life in the seventh floor hallway. Sources say some sort of monster attacked them both and the dog nearly died himself trying to save Feargus. Few, if any, seem to really know the story, but most people agree that Feargus always did seem to be extremely close to a dog who usually let no one close – when asked, Feargus merely grins and looks nostalgic.

”And the list goes on and on, of course. Ye’ll have te buy the book te hear about all of ‘em! I credit me friends with me sanity – they were rocks in every storm and comfort after every nightmare.”

Working the System

Feargus’ second and third years brought with them an increased familiarity with the school and its ways. He began to take a delight in learning the tricks of the hallways and staircases and became a decent guide for new students. He and Sara, being in the same year, were very often seen running around the Grounds working on schoolwork. These years also brought an increased familiarity of him by the school - Feargus became known by a myriad of nicknames relating, mostly, to his first name. Feargle, Feargy, Fear, Fearless, Gus, Gusgus, Furry…just to name a few.

Feargus chuckles “It got te the pint where I could tell who was callin’ feyr me just by the name they used. Jack himself generally used a different name every teyme we spoke, though he had a handful of favorites.”

This time in his life also brought his first love, with a young girl named Marta. Feargus smiles nostalgically again as the topic is brought up. Marta was and always will be an emotional subject for Feargus, and he concedes that she was his first heartbreak. He was also, most likely, hers as well. He says that after his roller-coaster of relationships in his middle years, he and Marta managed to take time to reconcile. Even, as the days drew closer to graduation, to become friends once more. When pressed for details, Feargus grins and says “Some people will always be a part of ye're heart. Some memories will always make you smile. And some things are between me and her, and always will be.”

Caught in a Whirlwind

ImageAs Feargus transitioned into his fourth and fifth years, he began to get serious about his studies. This time marks his first forays into the magic of the mind, which have brought him to where he is today. Moving through his assigned work with little difficulty (despite, in his time, fourth year being known as “Hell Year”), Feargus began to apply himself to extracurricular experiments and research. A third story, this one confirmed by the man himself, recalls Feargus practicing some new techniques and spells for protecting the mind while standing at the edge of the lake on Hogwarts Grounds. A spell gone awry sends him toppling face-first into the murky waters in front of a bustling group of passer-bys.

Feargus grins “I hauled meself sopping out of the water only to find about a dozen people staring in awe.”

This was, however, to prove an opportunity. It was after this incident when Feargus first met Zane von Mecklenberg, a man who would be his first and most influential mentor in the study of Mentalism. Feargus would continue to refine the techniques and lessons learned from von Mecklenberg throughout his career at Hogwarts.

It was during this incredibly busy time that Feargus was brought on board the Ravenclaw Quidditch team as a Beater – a position he’d been training for since he was allowed to own a broom. He was very competent and helped the team to a number of choice victories flying alongside his closest friends, Mary and Jack.

A Second Chance

These years were also punctuated by Feargus’ tumultuous relationship with a girl named Jenny Hathaway. He says that she allowed him to love again after the wreckage of his relationship with Marta, and he recounts many wonderful times with her. Their relationship would last the better part of two years, though not without its breaks. Near the middle of this time, Jenny inexplicably left Feargus, in a traumatic twisting of his breakup with Marta herself. During this break, Feargus dated a girl named Mai, of whom he says he is still very fond. “Mai was a wonderful girl, and I can’t say but I did wrong by her. Ye’d be hard-pressed te feynd a more loving, compassionate girl if ye looked.”

Feargus did indeed go back to Jenny when the opportunity arose, and they continued for some time together. It seems they never could rekindle what they once had -- eventually, their relationship faded to tatters and they both moved on.

After this final blow, Feargus vowed to refocus the energy he’d expended in vast quantities on girls to his projects and studies. Feargus collected a book of O.W.L.s worthy of any Ravenclaw, especially excelling in his Charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts exams – crucial fields of study for his future profession.

Determination

ImageIn his sixth and seventh years Feargus continued his research and projects with renewed fervor. Credited with creating the first reversible sensory memory charm to target smell specifically, he began interning at St. Mungos as an assistant in the Magical Damage to the Mind wing. It was here where he met his first contact in the Ministry, while assisting in a memory-retrieval operation. Feargus would go on to gain valuable experience and training during this time.

Feargus graduated from Hogwarts and continues to pursue his expertise of the mind. He now works full-time for the Ministry in training as a special adjunct to the Obliviator squad. He also assists when required at St. Mungos, a job he always enjoys.

”I’m a happy man, I really am. And I was a happy boy too. There were lots of rough spots in between,” Feargus laughs, “but it all brought me here and I’m happy. Hogwarts will always be a home te me, and I’m looking forward te goin’ back feyr me sister’s graduation. The friends I made there will be with me forever”

Shifty are the eyes of the gambler...

Last edited by Shifty on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:46 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Code:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b8w4iTBPXn4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b8w4iTBPXn4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The code actually is on the YouTube site. On the right side of the screen, next to the video itself.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:51 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Thanks!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:38 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Minor overhaul due to roleplaying time spent in game and fleshing him out in my head.

Post subject: Re: Feargus MacDale
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:41 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Update again. Removed the friends list, finding that it would be impossible to actually keep it active. He loves you all though! :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:40 am 
Game Master
Game Master

Second year update, finally! Thanks everyone!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:30 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

3rd year update

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Attempt at colorizing the new pic just a bit. What a process!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:00 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Added new songs and made them all forum-friendly.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:45 am 
Game Master
Game Master

Updated appearance and pasted the info here, so you don't have to go looking for it.

"**Anyone who knows Feargus will have noticed a distinct change in his appearance, starting very recently (time being so fluid, I can't pin down an exact date. Suffice it to say that as you read this, your character is probably noticing it for the first time)

Feargus looks very clean and well-groomed. Far more so than usual. His hair is combed (for the first time ever, practically) and is parted nicely in the middle. His robes are smooth and clean, no longer having that "just picked up off the floor" look. He actually looks very much like the profile pic at the top now.**"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:22 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Updated year, just a tad prematurely. And took out a couple things which made it hard to deal with the time-bubble bit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:57 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Updated his year and associated information. Also updated a few other things, which I'll post below as well for convenience.

Girlfriend

Feargus has made it no secret how happy he has been since Marta Chesfer decided to return to school. They are known as a pleasant couple and are often seen here and there together. They have now been dating since Marta's return, mid-winter his 3rd year.

Appearance

Feargus has retained his more-well-kept appearance into his 4th year. His dirty-blonde hair is usually parted in the middle and still falls in his eyes regularly. He is usually seen wearing brightly colored clothing with lots of white and blue, and bronze trim. He always has his trademark tartan cloak on, with proud Ravenclaw house coloring. It is clasped with a small silver brooch bearing the MacDale clan crest.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Removed the "Girlfriend" section, as it is no longer relevant. Changed a couple others, posted below.

Appearance

Feargus has returned to his classic House Ravenclaw robes, again just slightly rumpled. He always has his trademark tartan cloak on, with proud Ravenclaw house coloring. It is clasped with a small silver brooch bearing the MacDale clan crest.

His hair has been cut shorter than it was and is now bushy and slightly wind-blown most of the time, hanging down just past his ears.

Personality and First Impression

Feargus has relaxed a lot since coming to Hogwarts. He is known as someone you can talk to and is rarely judgmental. He often gives people a second chance when they've slighted him, but never a third. He is fiercely protective and loyal to those he calls friends. He often seems to have insight beyond what one would expect for someone of his age.

Feargus is fond of helping younger students, perhaps remembering the help he did and still receives from his own older friends. Feargus is not -known- for being a rulebook person, and often will simply shrug and smile if a situation comes up.

He tends to be lax on his homework, often waiting until the last minute to complete it. He is extremely intelligent, however, and rarely gets less than a top grade on any class work. He picks up new spells quickly and enjoys showing them off.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:52 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Updated Career thoughts:

"Career plans: Having spent a lot of time recently mentoring students, counseling students (even much older ones), and helping out the younger kids, Feargus has recently taken to the idea of perhaps teaching. Or maybe a counselor-type job of some sort."

Board index » Server » Character Bios