WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:58 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Alex_May wrote:
No offense, but that last post was quite condescending to us Europeans.

I honestly apologize if that's how it sounded. :( That's not what I indended, I wasn't clear on what was jokingly "jabbing" there and what was serious, even re-reading my own post. Poorly worded.

EDIT: "Other country people" is a reference to another post from a while ago. Too lazy to look it up, though.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:45 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Alex_May wrote:
Quote:
Calan meant our three favorite European players.

And who might they be? :wink:

Ooh, pick me, pick me! :D

...seriously, though, I don't think Calan came off as condescending, and I'm saying that as a European. As Calan notes, "Other Country People" refers jokingly to an earlier post by someone else (yeah, I've been backreading the forums. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?)

Of course, there -is- a certain overlap between US and Euro players. An event planned for 20:00 EST on a thursday, for instance, would be hopeless for any of us, probably. However, one set to 15:00 on a Sunday, for instance, would be easy for any players, US or Euro, to get to if one so wanted.

I'm not saying all events should be set to times when both groups are available; the overlap on weekdays is probably so short including both are difficult, and given the choice, I understand why the more numerous Americans are given priority (aside from the obvious fact that the DM team is mostly or completely American). However, events set -fairly- early in weekends would be nice.

On the topic, I was really wondering if there were any plans of looking for a Euro DM?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:06 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Tsunami wrote:
On the topic, I was really wondering if there were any plans of looking for a Euro DM?

Yes........

And you are correct, the overlap is logistically a very difficult thing to work with. Even trying to hit the peak times with events, we are often off by hours from when we had hoped. Weekends are a possibility, but as I made a [very poor] attempt to point out, major events usually don't happen at times when only three or five people are logged into the server, which is very often the case at the "prime" times in Europe even on the weekends. Especially when our energy is really sucked up with other major events during the server's peak times. It's when the server naturally peaks in its player count that we try to hit with the most events, simply because we want the most people to be able to enjoy them. Still, we don't want the *shifty eyes* "other country people" neglected, and yes, we have put thought into that, and are continuing to.

The GM team consists of, and they will have to correct me if I'm wrong, two Canadians, five Americans, and an Aussie (who is our Head DM), at the current time.

And thanks for the support, but honestly, even I think my post sounded bad. :P

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:13 am 
Forum Fourth Year
Forum Fourth Year

Damn, why did we give up the colonies so easily? Curse you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:52 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Calan wrote:
And thanks for the support, but honestly, even I think my post sounded bad. :P

Eh. YMMV, and all that. I still don't.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:04 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

*Is obviously one of the 3 favorite Euro's. Sarcasm intended.*

The late events usually isn't a problem for me, though I too would love to see some more Euro-friendly events.. I saw a few before my departure, though it was mostly just random professor-encounters in the halls.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:32 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Hmm yeah i'm another european and well everytime i log on, i get so bored cause i see nobody:p It only gets entertaing if i log at 2 or 3am. You guys should have a european DM and not a builder european DM but a events european DM. But well i have been saying that for almost a year so meh.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:01 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Looks like server's down. Anyways, all things considered, I'm not too unhappy with the way things are re: euro members. I'm not sure how many Europeans are here compared to Americans, but I think it's fair that events in general are arranged so that the most players have the easiest time of attending. If that means we Euros have to stretch it a bit (or even miss it), that's a pity, but I guess that's simply the result of being a minority. I'd like to see a European event DM, though, that focus more on our time zone. And, when possible, that some events are arranged early on weekends, so that we have a chance of attending. Still, as I said, arranging events entirely so Euros can attend at the expense of the more numerous Americans not attending, of course, wouldn't work without a DM in the time zone.

Anyways, back on topic. You guys rule. And thanks for not being on right now, I had to get a few levels under my belt, not to mention getting Mary her Patronus; bitterly enough, the server went down just as I was about to finish the wand spell. :D

Edit: Yay, server back up. Patronus, here I come!

Hmm, White Stag. Sounds okay. I'm actually not sure if the server was down, or if the problems was somehow on my end. The server wasn't reset, at least; I started in the same place I was when I was booted.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:22 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

I think I said 'other country people' simply because we have more then just European, American, Australian, and Canadian players, but meh... I've always poorly worded things.

Anyway, It's not to hard to do player things for fun. You don't always need a DM to run something. You got an idea you think might be questionable, ask a DM to see if you can get something approved so you can RP it and what not. If you have simple fun ideas do them. The DM team has grown nice and big, we've honestly been putting our best feet forward for everyone else. Timezones are extremely difficult tricks sometimes, We don't expect you all to accept it or be happy with it... but it is hard to streach ourselves out for unlimited times but we do try, and I don't recall ever "Refusing" to RP for any Europeans. Quite a few of us are newer to DMing so give us a chance to pick up and we'll do our best to make our server better for every single one of our players, all things take time... and good things come to those who wait.

"Hey, you... CATCH!" ~Iris~

"Awooo? Werewolves of London!?" ~Nina~

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:34 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

What's wrong with just saying "Non-American's"? =p It's shorter and makes you look super-pro-leet, just like me... and who wouldn't ant to be more like me, eh? ;-)

Ravenclaw's Unofficial HP Trivia Champion.

Paul Millington - Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:20 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

I think "Other Country People" is a wonderfully charming way of putting it. I'm proud to be a citizen of Other Countristan. :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:21 pm 
Forum First Year
Forum First Year

Here is my two cents. :D

Why is it that people always seem to think that they need a DM to run an "event"? Yes, it is fun, but frankly, we can do alot ourselves. Just as an example, I heard OOC talk on the server the other day. A few players were saying that they wanted the DM's to hold more balls. (Where you dress up and dance you perverts!) My question is, why use a DM? Post on the forums that you are holding a ball at such and such a time, and do it. I think that I can safely say that the DM's will let you know if that overlaps with something they have planned, and I doubt they are going to shut you down if not. (Please, correct me if I am wrong)

In closing, my last contribution... when in doubt, RP it!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:30 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Holding a ball... Now thats just odd. *Stares at bowling ball.* ... Actually this is awesome! Seril... Hold this!

The word Ball for dances is a little much. Maybe party is a better terms, or camping... or hiking... or exploring... You can also enjoy the beach, chase butterflies... pick flowers for your sweetie... Go on dates. Get wasted. Chase little kids with sticks. Run from inferi and cower in the corner and pray they go away. You could consume your time with specific rivals you have made, or simply gather potions and scrolls to get an upperhand. Not to mention, digging in egypt, exploring egypt, staring at the stars, explore the forest(Which may or may not have new extensions sometimes.) Brawl leprachauns, hunt centaurs, rig traps for Filch. Rig traps for various NPC's. Step on defenseless animals and pets. And dance around in circles like an idiot. There are a million things you can do without the aid of a DM.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:29 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

But people consider that "normal" RP. The kind of thing you do all the time.

Everyone knows it's not cool RP unless you're doing the RP equivelent of grinding for a new wandscroll. JEEZ, DMS! Get with it.. ffs.

*Sighs and shakes his head, wondering where they find these people*

Ravenclaw's Unofficial HP Trivia Champion.

Paul Millington - Seventh Year Ravenclaw

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:18 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

So far the normal RP i have seen from some people is just sitting around EH all day. :-p But hey I've been doing alot more DM stuff then was done in the past Paul. I don't see you taking the time to play and see... so to put this politely... come on and actually earn the part to complain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » General » Out of Character