WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: "Broken" Character. Can it be helped?
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:10 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Okay so after mulling several things over in my head, I think I've essentially "broken" a character of mine. Amy Valerine.

See, Amy and Kyli have specific personalities which I'm trying to integrate into their RP here. The problem is, I didn't spend enough time on Amy. Kyli got most of the attention, therefore I got her set up perfectly. She's developed greatly and stayed within her own personality. Amy however, she's become rather weak in comparison. It was supposed to be that Amy was the star sister. She was the brave one who stood up for her friends, had good magical knowledge, so on and so forth. Now, she's been kinda gimped in her education (only taken 6 OWLs, mistake No.1 right there), due to the "hot and cold" playing routine I had with her, her social circle is largely broken. Most everyone she knew is either not around, or the players have moved to other characters.

Long story short, she's almost the exact opposite of how she was supposed to be to fit her personality. I didn't focus hard enough, therefore I slacked, and she suffered. Fixing this seems be either insanely difficult or impossible right now. Plus, I can't just remake her and start again. She's Kyli's twin sister, but she's always been a year behind because I didn't play her enough. That right there doesn't make sense.

So guys if anyone has any insight here, throw it my way please. I'm really stumped on how to proceed with her and get her to be how she -should- have been from the beginning.

EDIT: Oh, and to help clarify something, Amy was supposed to start out the star sister like I said. Kyli was the rebel, who later decides to take after her sister and become better. Kyli did that in WoHP, in a way, but then as she was improving my lack of attention to Amy made her start to downgrade. It's my fault for not splitting up my time between them accordingly, and thats why I'm stuck at this point right now.

Post subject: Re: "Broken" Character. Can it be helped?
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:38 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

I'll give my two cents, based on my beliefs about RP.

First, there is something that (in my humble opinion) that is being done right. When a character is being truly RP'd, they will not obey the player. They will even disobey. They will be their own person, no matter what it is that you had originally intended. When this happens, you know that your character is truly alive.

Second, while the first is true, the fact is that most of this probably comes from the simple fact that one is played more than the other. Simply putting some more time into Amy might help. Still, I would not call this "broken" just because it isn't what you intended. Let your characters be who they are. It makes them real.

Again, just my two cents.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Last edited by =^_^= on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:00 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

There is still one issue, the OWLs. Is it even possible to backtrack and finish the others? I went against what Amy was like when I only did the 6 easiest ones to just get it done. That was OOC interference on my part, which was rather dumb.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:37 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

You don't really need to do the OWLs. The amount you've got in your Inventory is totally OOC.
For example, I just did the easiest five with my characters, but RP them as having more and in different subjects.
RP, RP, RP. :)

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:06 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Calan wrote:

When a character is being truly RP'd, they will not obey the player. They will even disobey. They will be their own person, no matter what it is that you had originally intended. When this happens, you know that your character is truly alive.

Simply putting some more time into Amy might help. Still, I would not call this "broken" just because it isn't what you intended. Let your characters be who they are. It makes them real.

+2

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Elemental Priestess wrote:
There is still one issue, the OWLs. Is it even possible to backtrack and finish the others? I went against what Amy was like when I only did the 6 easiest ones to just get it done. That was OOC interference on my part, which was rather dumb.

If the OWLs are out of character talk to a DM and we can swap out OWLs or grant or take OWLs. The new scripts I've been working on (and am very frustrated with because they aren't working yet) will allow you to take tests if you want, or just pick your OWLs. The reason is because actually taking tests may be more IC, or more OOC, so we're going to let the player pick. (This is an aside, this thread isn't about OWLs.)

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:12 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Most of what I was supposed to say has already been said by better people than me. Calan and Dru has pretty much covered it. I'd just like to add something. You seem to have laid a lot of plans into how your characters are going to develop. I'm not going to call this a mistake, certainly, but in my experience characters often tend to not end up exactly where you plan them to, and this is a good thing. Give Amy more attention, and let her go the way she wants. And if she still doesn't end up the way you originally wanted her, well, that's actually okay. Good luck, and have fun. :D

Board index » General » Out of Character