WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: What made you start playing your character?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:39 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Last edited by =^_^= on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What made you start playing your character?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:18 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

I had no plans for Rowan beyond her House, some information about her family, and her general appearance. She's a product of her own evolution with minimal nudging on an OOC level.

Olivia was created as part of the year-up-together group. Now, she's an instigator. Again, I never intended for Olivia to be who she is, she just is.

JBMT wrote:
And am I the only one who fears the whole monkey-tiger thing will end badly?
It's like Ravenclaws dating Slytherins.

"If you don't like me, remember that it's mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter."
-Dr. Suess

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:58 pm 
Forum Fourth Year
Forum Fourth Year

Right now I don't play a lot...I'm just spending some time on the forums, hoping to get some idea on how to RP my characters...Generally what makes me RP my characters are ties to them...I don't care too much for socializing RP, I need some motivation, and choices to be made. I'm not a very social person.

Me and my sister created Alexia to change the server, and get people drawn to the dark arts...and I planned to get people motivated enough to where I could make a new faction, and new students who are dedicated to creating mayhem with the good wizards...and have fights...but yeah, I pretty much have no clue anymore, I don't care about 1/2 the people who play dark arts, no one works together...It's just every dark wizard for themselves. It's just pointless practicing the dark arts, other than to say, "My character is a jerk."

Anyways I've kind of gotten off topic.

What made me play Alexia? Ambition.

What made me play Maria? Background.

Rei Fukui - Year 1 Hufflepuff

Jillian: SunRein -

Alexia Kroft - 3rd year slytherin

Maria Antollow - 4th year ravenclaw

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:08 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

What made me play Red? Mmmm.

I mostly made Red french to make my english skills better. But I never knew what she would be like. I just had a few things in mind: Loyal, good hearted, fun. And out came Roselyn M Synders! I like Red, well, when she isn't all goody-goo-hoo. :wink:

Tristan Durie came from an idea with Samantha Hathaways player, we wanted to play cousins or something. All I know about him is that he is a smooth talker, he is talented with music and a clever troublemaker.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:33 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Zane started out, believe it or not, as a Gryffindor. I remade him soon after, though, in his currently Slytherin form. I wanted to play a character that bent the rules. As Slytherin as they come...but polite. As smart and potentially bookish as the best (or worst, depending) Ravenclaw.... As brave as any Gryf.... And who had nothing at all to do with Hufflepuffs. Sorry, it's just hard to be a sinister Huffle.

I made him German to give him a different background from most of the Hogwarts students.

That was it. What he is now is an outgrowth of those characteristics and the wonderful backstory that RT/Joki have drug out of me one line at a time. He may have started with a plan in mind, but he has grown into what he is now as the result of simply outstanding RP partners from all around the school.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:37 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Last edited by =^_^= on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:45 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

When I first came on the mod, my character was Argus Filch. I had no idea what I was doing, I was just being silly probably. Then I read the rules sign. (This was back on the first server.) So my first HP character lasted about five minutes.

All I created for Jack going in was his name. We didn't even get to choose our character's House back then. It was random. I made decisions for the character as I went along, but for the most part he is a product of all the great interactions and interesting events that shaped him.

I'm really glad he's not Argus Filch.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:02 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Well, back in 2006 when I made Amber, I was looking to a play a character that was in several respects, completely different from my other characters. I came up with a few very loose ideas, and went on from there. The only thing I was very firmly set on was that she was going to be called Amber.

To me, at the time, the most important part of her was her first name. I had chosen the name Amber because of a necklace my Grandmama had given me - a sterling silver chain, with a pendant that has a piece of amber shaped almost like a tear-drop set into it. It was the last gift I had received from her before she succumbed to her cancer. She meant a lot more to me then most people realized.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:06 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Necrolissica is a name that I made up one year when I was joking around with my sister, Melissa. Necrolissica is her "vampire" name. :P Melissa even often goes by the name Liss in RL. Thankfully, she's nothing like the IC Liss. ;)

I too had very little for Liss, but I did start out with a bit of history. Even that, to some degree, was invented on the spot when people asked her questions about her past, until it was solidified over time.

About her personality: I started her off to be completely her own person, I didn't want her like me. It's one of the biggest reasons (but not the only) that she's female. Over time she's mellowed out a ton, as I suspect would be the case ICly anyway over 7 IC years. One thing for sure that I wanted in her was I wanted her to be of strong will, even if it hurt her. And it has, repeatedly. Another major thing with Liss is a [nearly artistic] expression of the concept of opposites. I'll leave it at that to avoid anti-FOIG, you'll have to get to know her deeply to really get that at the level that it is intended. That's something that remains a part of the character to this day.

Here's a very interesting fact that few know: Kalara was actually my first character, the same Kalara that I have on this server. I started Kalara on one of the interim servers between JB's and Nikblade's hosts, which was a disaster of a server (I don't know who was running it, but even player shout was on, and someone was asking Kalara in shout to find his character and date him, while she was still shopping for supplies in Diagon, they hadn't even met IC... total twitch.)

Like the others, the most interesting thing with them both is they went directions that I did not expect. I never had a plan for the future, but I didn't expect them to be where they are now, either of them. Liss, while she was intended to be not an opposite, but vastly different from me, has actually grown with me, and me with her, for three years. So we are (in -SOME- ways) more alike than we were three years ago.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:39 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Calan wrote:
*Story about the kid asking Kalara out in shout* they hadn't even met IC... total twitch.

Hahaha! Gotta love those ones.

Seril Kane is a name I came up with one day on a server that has nothing to do with RP. But my shifter was a beast! :P
Before WoHP I didn't know a thing about RolePlay. I joined the server because I loved the HP books. Seril is the first PC I made, and all I knew was his name and a bit of his personality. I didn't even know anything about Seril's family when I created him. He didn't really develop until I finally understood what RolePlay is really about. In a way he's grown up into the kind of character I've always had in mind, but he's done a lot of surprising things along the way. I would definitely say Seril and I are more alike than we were four years ago. :D

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

My first character... Hmmm... Was Charles Ringer. He lasted about 15-30 minutes or so before something took me away and I decided I would try again later.

I came back some time later (not sure how long), but as Durious Black. All I had in mind for him 3 years ago was I wanted him to be Slytherin and just went with the flow. I was brand new to RP servers then and must admit it was a different experience. Especially considering that I had been playing single player, online PvP, and creating hacked characters since the game was first released.

But that's besides the point. Durious believe it or not started off a lot like the "early" Drathil (which I am unsure of how many current players may have had the luxury of interacting with). But as life went on, his background grew some but not much considering that he became half-perma'ed about 6-8 months later but that's FOIG. ;)

A couple months before Durious' perma, I made him a little brother named Xander Black. Who believe it or not was very much so like the "early" Drathil. In fact, Xander and Drathil were probably holy terrors at the time. Eventually RP lead to happy go lucky Xander turning into serious Xander. Funny how RP can completely 180 the original concept behind a character. As far as the name goes, I was watching the show "Frisky Dingo" while making Xander and used the main character's first name since it sounded nice and had a nice ring with Black. Believe it or not, his father and uncle's names, I grabbed them both from video game characters and not celestial bodies like the canon Black family did. I got Vega from the game Street Fighter, and Tarvos from .Hack//GU.

Somewhere along the lines when I didn't feel like being a complete goof ball with Xander I made Jason Ringer. I wanted to try my hand at a slightly more developed yet dramatic background instead of complete improvising everything, but not over board and sparkly poo. Started off quiet and brutish, much like Lance. Though Jason wasn't a prick (love you Lance ;)) But again, RP came and changed him.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:57 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

My memory of first starting on the server is a bit hazy cause I swear I started before I graduated High School then came back to it after a time when I actually had another computer to play on and not my grandfather's. ((WARNING: I have way too many PCs so this is a very long post))

Though it is no question that the first character that I created was Mai Roarke, later I finally decided to lengthen her name to Máiréad Chloë Roarke. I started her off totally not knowing what I was doing at all. Mostly all I remember of her earliest creation time was that I knew what her name was and that I really wanted her to be a Hufflepuff. I shortened it cause I couldnt remember how to spell it at the time. Her first name come from Máiréad Nesbitt of the Celtic Women and her last name I absolutely loved from JD Robb's In Death series, the handsome, rich, Irish gentleman Roarke. It took me a while to get into the swing of RP cause I had really just started getting into it, and when I had more time and access to play the server when I could was when I really started thinking about Mai and where I wanted to go with her. Basically Mai is me, at least in personality and interests. Everything else developed over time. It was kinda a spur of the moment thought that drew me to Mai's Curse, that I am glad people were able to help with RPing, when I started thinking....Why did I want Mai's hair to be white? and it just hit me!

Soon after Mai's creation I wanted to make a PC in honor of my little sister, who also at the time played on the server. No shes not like gone or anything, I just wanted to do this for her. And therefore, Willow Moran was born! I always enjoyed playing her cause she was bubbly and bright and I tried to be alot like my sister as I played her. Her quidditch love came around cause of my little sister being more active than I am >.>

Eien Hansen was created to be the twin of BitexMe's Gabrielle. My first dood! I'm still getting used to being him but I dont have much reason to play him.

Ashlee Dawn Gardner is the combination between my first name, best friends middle name, and other best friends last name. Also our personalities are intertwined to create her. I had half an idea when I started her but other than that she was created to be the twin of Zimarra's Aurora and to be in the Yearing Up Group that disappeared! Her fear of dogs was so Rana's fault cause she had a dog in Diagon on that night we started it and I was like BAM! there it was...I love playing her when I can and how shes developed.

The newest addition to my extremely long list is the youngest of the Grant Quintuplets, Evelyn Reneé Grant! I absolutely feel like I am on a hyper sugar high or something everytime I play her. In fact I do tend to eat chocolates and drink too much caffine when I play her. I'm glad that those involved asked me to join because its really been great playing her and trying to tap into the inner 11 year old within me. I cant wait to see what happens to all of the Grants!! ♥

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:19 am 
Game Master
Game Master

You do have too many characters ;). My favorite was always Willow, she's the best.

I am Feargus MacDale. I've tried playing a rather wide variety of alternate PCs over time, yet none of them have ever captured my interest or my heart like Feargus does. I often talk about how I started Feargus knowing nothing other than "Friendly Scottish kid." I also knew I wanted him to be a Ravenclaw because, ever since I read the series, I've felt that my spiritual House is Ravenclaw. When I first started playing on the server, I couldn't grasp the concept of yearing up whenever you finished the work, yet IG time was supposed to be connected to RL time. So I decided to remain a Firstie for an entire RL year. This didn't last nearly that long, but I was a Firstie for two months before deciding that it just didn't work that way. I would say that Feargus' long time as a Firstie, and his long time in each successive year, really helped me to focus on his personality and friendships.

I've always taken great pride in the fact that, due to my misunderstanding of what you could and couldn't use on the server, I finished his entire first year using nothing but wand spells -- primarily Jelly Legs and Sting. I also never once summoned his familiar, because I was afraid I'd get banned :D. To this day, I've never used his familiar in combat.

His first, strongest, and most enduring friendship has always been with Jack Amesworth. He's been shaped by that probably more than anything else. His other close early friends were Mary Maywell and Sara Lamander, who also had a lot of impact on him early on. He has also had some turmoil in relationships with girls, but then, who hasn't on this server? (Edit: Who hasn't ever? Anywhere?)

I've come to realize over time that Feargus is, essentially, an idealized form of me. He is what I would often like to be; me without the really rough spots. I chose Scotland because of my enduring love for that land. I visited there for two weeks a few years ago and the beautiful landscape and glorious people have been indelibly imprinted on me. I love being able to connect in some way with that through Feargus.

Little known fact: My first PC was named "Fehrgus Dale." He is still on my account, and sometimes I accidentally click on him instead of Feargus. I realized within minutes on the server that I wanted a different spelling, and I wanted a wizard instead of a sorcerer.

Another interesting note on names: MacDale is a clan which does not exist in real life, which I did not know when I started. This allows me to do what I want with it. "Feargus" also happens to be the name of Obsidian Entertainment's CEO, a man who has worked on some of my favorite roleplaying games (including Balder's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and others. These games were my gateway drug into roleplaying ten years ago). I also did not know that when making the name.

Shifty are the eyes of the gambler...

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:25 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Calan dragged me kicking and screaming onto NWN. He knew the only method to get me to online game was to use Harry Potter, since I was a HUGE fan. I thought all online gamers were *Insert stereotypes here*. Sierra was a DnD name that I got from a drink, either the water or the soda, can't recall. Tillery was my maiden name, since I really never thought I'd stick around. She had no background, but ended up having to be a pacifist and a bit clueless because I didn't know how to roleplay or play NWN. :) She grew because of interactions with others. Early on, within the first day or two, I decided to give her a stable, loving family and clearly not be a dark wizard. :P Too many of those were around at the time.

The others characters have just been me trying to find another pc I enjoy playing.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 am 
Forum Troll King

Priggo's based on a real person who actually attended Hogwarts in the '80s.

Board index » General » Out of Character