WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: Re: Character Enlightenment
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:54 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Rp that you do in game is often off the cuff, inventing things as you go. It's great stuff, but... It can get to be confusing at best. Writing bio entries and rp posts has several benefits that are pretty obvious.
1. They are a shout out to anyone who has been involved in the RP you are covering. Showing that your character was affected by someone else is praise. Even if the thought is puuuuure hate.
2. Writing carefully and slowly gives you a chance to get into your character's head. You get to see how they see...think how they think...and process things in a way that will make the whole effort of getting "MORE" in character all the easier.
3. They document where your character is. That may not be a great thing now, but in 6 months or a year? It's nice to have.
4. They can give other players a chance to have some insight into your PC. Yes, almost anything they see should be OOC knowledge, and they should NOT walk up and start talking PC-to-PC about it. Even still, though, it gives the PLAYER a chance to better understand the character their PC is dealing with in any given situation.
5. They are fun to write.
6. They are fun for others to read!

I've invented most of Zane's backstory on the fly. It's difficult, and other characters have pulled it out of me one detail at a time. Writing it down helps me remember it and make sure that I get it right next time.

So write! Be sensible and remember that your PC is not some godlike figure who can save or damn the world on their own. Enjoy the RP you've had and build off it. GET TO KNOW YOUR PC!

It all gets better after that.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:48 am 
Forum Fourth Year
Forum Fourth Year

You know, this is not a blog channel...and I've been reading this entire blog all the way down and it is irrelevant to what it is...It's not "What do you think about character enlightenment." It is "A forum to get RP - a self note, so that you may get better RP if you are having trouble-

-Please-

Rei Fukui - Year 1 Hufflepuff

Jillian: SunRein -

Alexia Kroft - 3rd year slytherin

Maria Antollow - 4th year ravenclaw

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:32 am 
Game Master
Game Master

It's also not your forum. That said, to get back to the original topic and to say something which had already been said and which, apparently, you didn't get -- If you want to do this sort of thing, we already have systems in place in which to do it. Start a RP thread for your character in the right forum, and keep any forum RP for your character in that thread. It makes it far easier for people to find information on the character they want, without having to scroll through a jumbled-up topic.

For good examples of people using a diary-style RP thread, see Star's, Rowans, and Madeline's, among others (clickable url's). For a more novel-esque or poetic style, see Zane's, Joki's, Red's, Liss', Dru's, and even your own for Maria is a step in the right direction. To go to the correct forum itself, click Roleplay.

Shifty are the eyes of the gambler...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:11 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

I haven't read everyone's RP Threads, for plenty of reasons. There are others I've read a lot of.

Edit: Joki's is fun to read.

As stated previously in posts..
Forum Thread RP Posts are full of rich detail you can't or likely won't, find in game. While your PC may not benefit directly from it, you the player will understand the PC a little better. While this shouldn't effect how your PC see's them directly.. at least then you won't go out of your way to spread OOC that the PC is.. any number of negative things and not worth RPing with.

Anyway.. Good luck.

P.S. Shifty, you're silly. (Refering to the large bio posts and then you complaining about it. Lol)

"Up yours Hogwarts, Scotty the man!" - ASoL to RT on Porting

Board index » General » Out of Character