WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: Re: Character Enlightenment
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

SunRein wrote:
I wrote that story you read before you, "Maria in the Wild"

I know, a lot of people not be used to the idea that I'm not my sister, but I didn't want to start over as a year 1...I might do it later, when I get more time during winter break, but all I really want to do is come home, and RP a bit, before going to bed, and going to work.

Dude or Dudette:

It doesn't take a zillion hours to create an account and new character. It might seem that people are against you because you: Flood, try to be interessting, don't understand IC, OOC and metagaming...
Also the fact that you seem to have at least 3 different people on the same account... What the shizzles?
Just make an account and live your life.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:39 pm 
Forum Troll King

TheSilvernight wrote:
SunRein wrote:
I wrote that story you read before you, "Maria in the Wild"

I know, a lot of people not be used to the idea that I'm not my sister, but I didn't want to start over as a year 1...I might do it later, when I get more time during winter break, but all I really want to do is come home, and RP a bit, before going to bed, and going to work.

Dude or Dudette:

It doesn't take a zillion hours to create an account and new character. It might seem that people are against you because you: Flood, try to be interessting, don't understand IC, OOC and metagaming...
Also the fact that you seem to have at least 3 different people on the same account... What the shizzles?
Just make an account and live your life.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:39 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Lots of people add "insights" into their character in their bio threads. It's easier to keep track of that way than a hodge-podge everyone-can-write-in thread. Was that what you were looking for, so if people wanted to get to know your characters more they'd have some information on her? Now obviously, there are limits, you don't want to spill your guts to everyone, but I do think that in general, at such a tiny school, a LOT of people would be aware of the more subtle aspects of people, even if we don't rp often together.

(Edit: I thought my post was positive, Dru! :/ )

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:19 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Last edited by =^_^= on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:05 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

This post is a general shout out to the server, not to anyone specific.

Sitting in the EH waiting for RP is the worst possible way to get RP. Well, no... sitting alone in the forest waiting for RP is worse, but the EH still isn't far from it. The fact that the character isn't played much just makes the issue worse. The more you sit around and wait for RP, I assure you, the more boring things will be, and the less RP you will get. If that's what your character -would- do, then by all means, do it, but please come to terms with the fact that you will end up with very little and very boring RP.

Ways to get RP:

Step 1: Go RP. (Yes, it really is that easy.)
Step 2: Walk your character around, and when someone is seen, don't just pass by them. If it's not IC for them to say hi, well that's your problem. Stop complaining that you're not getting RP.
Step 3: There are these wonderful little creatures called owls.
Step 4: Never, ever, ever, never, ever surf the web or do something else while your character just sits there and looks at a wall. At least, don't do that, then complain that you're not getting RP. If sitting in the EH without RP is boring, then see Step 1.

Please note that in step 1 I did not say "Go RP with someone." I just said "Go RP." If you want the "with someone" part, see steps 2-4. It starts with the ability to actually get IC, even when no one's there.

Understand that reclusive, shy, or loner type PCs will -naturally- (and ICly) have a lot harder of a time getting RP with others. That doesn't mean they can't be RPd, it just means you may have RP alone. If you don't like that, it's time for you to RP the character decided to change because they aren't happy with their lonely life, or just start a new character. Don't RP a character like this and expect to be included in all the social lives of other characters. That would be OOC.

Note about step 1: There is no possible character that this would be "OOC" for. "Go RP" means stop doing the other stuff that you're doing (like playing flash games or another game or watching the news or other TV show or just chatting with people on MSN) and -get IC-. RP your character, even when no one is around, and get IC. If your character is bored, RP that. Go RP that they are walking all over the school doing homework, even if all the 7th year homework is complete. It is completely possible for your character to continue existing, in full, when no one is near at the moment.

Another note about sitting in the EH looking at the wall.... anyone who can literally do that, for hours, every day, should be in Mungo's. It's not natural, or even possible for a meantally healthy person to be able to do. Just try it, without occupying your player's brain with the distractions of the rest of the internet and/or TV.

One last thing, being -In- the Entrance Hall is not a bad way to get roleplay. Stareing at the wall or otherwise doing nothing is the problem.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:42 am 
Game Master
Game Master

This is just a personal feeling on things, but to add to Calans post, the forums are -not- a substitute for role-play. A -brief- character bio is an excellent thing. Roleplay posts are occasionally useful. If the post is any longer than a paragraph, I will completely ignore it, unless it has something specific to do with me or a plot I'm running. And then, I'm doing it very reluctantly. I see the majority of role-play posts and obscenely long bios as narcissistic and obnoxious.

Again, this is merely a personal opinion. More is -not- better.

Shifty are the eyes of the gambler...

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:58 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Just to point out...

I play an anti-social wall-staring character.
I have oodles of RP.

JBMT wrote:
And am I the only one who fears the whole monkey-tiger thing will end badly?
It's like Ravenclaws dating Slytherins.

"If you don't like me, remember that it's mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter."
-Dr. Suess

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Last edited by =^_^= on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

I would absolutely say it really matters who you rp with! I'm with you there. If I have a vested interest in a character, I'm much more likely to read something. Course, I'm also apt to be more annoyed if they're long winded ;). I read all day, I'm a grad student, and it hurts to run into a wall of text ;). That said, it's easy for me to ignore such things if I want to, and if there are people who -are-interested, good! :) Also, I need to be careful what I complain about - I may end up making role-play posts at some point myself! :)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:11 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

>.> I need to take off my grumpypants. I just remembered that I posted what may be one of the longest bios ever when I stepped away from Feargus last year, lol. I'm sorry.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:12 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Hahahaha. I love you, Shifty.

JBMT wrote:
And am I the only one who fears the whole monkey-tiger thing will end badly?
It's like Ravenclaws dating Slytherins.

"If you don't like me, remember that it's mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter."
-Dr. Suess

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

SleepingSun7 wrote:
Just to point out...

I play an anti-social wall-staring character.
I have oodles of RP.

That's because while it's true, Rowan stares at the wall... the following is also true:

-Step 1 is very often observed
-Step 2 is very often observed, at least in her own Rowan way.
-Does Rowan have an owl?
-Step 4 ... while I can't tell what you do outside of the game, you're at -least- paying attention enough to respond to something that happens, and do respond. I.E. see step 1. Also...
-As far as I know, you're happy with the wall-staring PC who can and does go for long stretches (hours, at times?) with no RP, which is why there are a lot of "if's" in my post (i.e. "if you don't like that..." If it doesn't bother you, then go for it.)

While Rowan is one that stands at a pillar and looks at a wall, she gets RP, because she RPs. You'll get out of RP only what you put into it. It won't happen to you. Standing by a pillar and doing nothing but waiting will not get you RP. This is true for both PC RP as well as DM RP. Actually RPing, being IC, be it in the EH or elsewhere, is the only way to get RP. That's why Rowan gets "oodles" of RP, even though the character is a type of character that would naturally fight the ability to find RP.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:42 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Viktor Wulffengraft likes long walks on the beach, barking at mailmen, and chasing cats.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:03 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Not to add a tangent to a tangent, but... on the topic of RP posts, I personally read nearly every single one that is posted. I enjoy them. I think they are a -fantastic- venue for character development. Even if only myself or one or two others read the RP posts that I write, I think they're still worth writing. Sometimes a RP post lets me see details about my character that are difficult to portray in active server RP. That may not do anything for anyone else who reads it, but it goes a long way towards helping me connect with my characters and stay IC when I'm RPing in the mod.

Most people here are very good about keeping what they know about characters from the forums and what their characters know about them through IC interaction separate. So long as that is the case, I'm a big fan and advocate of using RP posts for the purpose that I think the OP was looking for. :)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:11 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Last edited by =^_^= on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » General » Out of Character