WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: A Europe Day?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:15 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Hello folks,

I am sure many know why I am posting such a thing. And I don't think, only Europe should get it's "day" or whatever.

I am sure, that besides me, there are other players in Europe who are messing up their sleeping patterns, and hours of sleep only to keep up with the rest. I know the server is based in the US, I know we are out numbered, but what really makes me sad is that well, I have not yet seen an effort made by the otherside of the planet.
It is expected of us to just be up at certain crazy hours of the night just to keep up. I am not sure many of you realise just how tiresome that is.

I know we cannot do much about it, but, I've seen other players log on earlier sometimes, and it's great, us poor sodes get more role play with -different- characters. I also know that there is Real Life, I know that, I know we all have our jobs and things to do etc etc. We all do.

It just makes me sad to miss out on so much and there is really nothing I can do myself. I know this has been discussed, but I don't think it has been spoken of openly and if it has well, I am sorry to open a new thread. I know the DM's have made efforts to reach us Europeens, and still make them, I would wonder if it would be possible from players as well. =/

It seems to me that it is always the same people making efforts to rp with you (the big chunk on the other side of the world). And I think it is only fair that sometimes the favor is returned. :|

Post subject: Re: A Europe Day?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:39 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

I think the trouble is that the more desirable Euro hours fall into the day/early evening for the rest of us. Which means school and work. I think a lot of people give up sleep to stick around for RP, Euro or not. In this case, it's more about RL responsibilities being in the way and not about an unwillingness to try to accommodate.

JBMT wrote:
And am I the only one who fears the whole monkey-tiger thing will end badly?
It's like Ravenclaws dating Slytherins.

"If you don't like me, remember that it's mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter."
-Dr. Suess

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:05 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

SleepingSun7 wrote:
I think the trouble is that the more desirable Euro hours fall into the day/early evening for the rest of us. Which means school and work. I think a lot of people give up sleep to stick around for RP, Euro or not. In this case, it's more about RL responsibilities being in the way and not about an unwillingness to try to accommodate.

This is what I see it as cause during breaks I am on like 24/7 but during school I don't get home til early evening (Now I get home late at night) but honestly I wish I really could come chill with ya'll but I can only do it some days.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:00 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

This topic was brought up a couple years back... and at the time the DM's really went out of their way to schedule classes, do events in the US's early mornings, afternoons... PEAK time for the Europeans.

Guess what!

We got classes of maybe two, three... tops five. And unfortunately, that left most DM's, after having put in three or four or five hours of solid rp in the mornings, drained and wanting some space when the peak US hours hit. Me included. I was a solid morning/Euro peak hours DM for months about a year and a half ago. So I speak from personal experience.

We -did- reach out to the European crowd at the time with very poor response. :( So yes, ideally we all would adore having staff on hand that could make the server run at peak 24 hours a day! But saying from what I've seen happen IRL, it just won't happen.

We all really appreciate the way some of you have put off sleep or changed your schedule to accommodate events. That shows dedication! I may not have to redo my sleep schedules, but as a mother of a busy family, I -have- had to opt out of hard to find, difficult to procure babysitting nights for server events. But you must look after yourself first, if it's ruining your sleep schedule and making life difficult IRL, think about your priorities.

"I sense a costume opportunity!"

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:51 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

I will add to this that I believe Silvernight and Skullcleaver and the others have noticed and appreciated DM time during hours that work for them. Granted, many big events in the last few months have been poorly timed for them, but I think we've done alright. JB and I were just talking last night about how we very commonly are up until 3am and not so uncommonly 6 or 7am. This is not normal, but it happens to work for us.

I believe Silvernight is hoping for more PCs to be around at better times, though certainly no one would scoff at having more DM attention either. Correct me if I'm wrong, Silvernight!

Shifty are the eyes of the gambler...

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:18 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

That's what it sounded like to me, too. The main reason there aren't PCs around, though, is because those times typically conflict with work/school on this side of the world. It's a hard issue to tackle. But I know for certain Euro hours are more heavily populated during the school breaks/general holidays.

JBMT wrote:
And am I the only one who fears the whole monkey-tiger thing will end badly?
It's like Ravenclaws dating Slytherins.

"If you don't like me, remember that it's mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter."
-Dr. Suess

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:04 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Personally I have even had to sort of re-arrange RL schedule quite a bit to be on at normal "peak" hours because they often start at 9 or 10pm server time, and of course I'm supposed to be at work in the mornings, so I've had to get by often with very little sleep on my end of things, on the other side of the clock. And here I am, -at- the server computer. I know that since some of the plot type stuff has ended recently, I've often gone to bed a lot earlier once again.

I wish the whole world ran on GMT time or something, but unfortunately timezones are just a fact of nature- a card that people are relentlessly dealt based simply on where they live and nothing else. It's unfair, I have always wished there was something that could really be done, but there really isn't- other than simply a community effort by those who want to RP at that time to log in during those hours. I think a lot of people simply don't log in based on low numbers alone, assuming low numbers mean little or no RP. This causes a catch-22 because it assures people continue to not log in. That reaction (to decide not to log in because numbers are low) really needs to be fought by the players in those timezones, if numbers and RP is to improve at reasonable Eurpoean hours.

That said, while it may help, but probably won't be a full solution, for reasons that have already been mentioned in the thread.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:40 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Board index » General » Out of Character