WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

How interested would you be in an Acting Group for the school?
Very interested! 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
Sounds okay. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I'm not sure. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Eh, not my thing. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
We really don't need one. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Post subject: Hogwarts Acting Troupe?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:34 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Since this is something that is very likely to start given how Zack's RP flow is going, I figured I'd get the OOC response first to see how interested people would be.

An Acting Club for Hogwarts students, how interested would you be?

Feel free to leave any additional comments or concerns.

Post subject: Re: Hogwarts Acting Troupe?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:35 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

:wink: I shall quote Professor Dumbledore:

The Fountain of Fair Fortune” is a perennial favourite, so much so that it was the subject of the sole attempt to introduce a Christmas pantomime to Hogwarts’ festive celebrations.

Our then Herbology master, Professor Herbert Beery,* an enthusiastic devotee of amateur dramatics, proposed an adaptation of this well-beloved children’s tale as a Yuletide treat for staff and students. I was then a young Transfiguration teacher, and Herbert assigned me to “special effects”, which included providing a fully functioning Fountain of Fair Fortune and a miniature grassy hill, up which our three heroines and hero would appear to march, while it sank slowly into the stage and out of sight.

I think I may say, without vanity, that both my Fountain and my Hill performed the parts allotted to them with simple goodwill. Alas, that the same could not be said of the rest of the cast. Ignoring for a moment the antics of the gigantic “Worm” provided by our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, Professor Silvanus Kettleburn, the human element proved disastrous to the show. Professor Beery, in his role of director, had been dangerously oblivious to the emotional entanglements seething under his very nose. Little did he know that the students playing Amata and Sir Luckless had been boyfriend and girlfriend until one hour before the
curtain rose, at which point “Sir Luckless” transferred his affections to “Asha”.

Suffice it to say that our seekers after Fair Fortune never made it to the top of the Hill. The curtain had barely risen when Professor Kettleburn’s “Worm” – now revealed to be an Ashwinder** with an Engorgement Charm upon it – exploded in a shower of hot sparks and dust, filling the Great Hall with smoke and fragments of scenery. While the enormous fiery eggs it had laid at the foot of my Hill ignited the floorboards, “Amata” and “Asha” turned upon each other, duelling so fiercely that Professor Beery was caught in the crossfire, and staff had to evacuate the Hall, as the inferno now raging onstage threatened to engulf the place. The night’s entertainment concluded with a packed hospital wing; it was several months before the Great Hall lost its pungent aroma of wood smoke, and even longer before Professor Beery’s head reassumed its normal proportions, and Professor Kettleburn was taken off probation.*** Headmaster Armando Dippet imposed a blanket ban on future pantomimes, a proud non-theatrical tradition that Hogwarts continues to this day."

--The Tales of Beedle the Bard. JK.Rowling.

* Professor Beery eventually left Hogwarts to teach at W.A.D.A. (Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts), where, he once confessed to me, he maintained a strong aversion to mounting performances of this particular story, believing it to be unlucky.

** See Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for a definitive description of this curious beast. It ought never to be voluntarily introduced into a wood-panelled room, nor have an Engorgement Charm placed upon it.

*** Professor Kettleburn survived no fewer than sixty-two periods of probation during his employment as Care of Magical Creatures teacher. His relations with my predecessor at Hogwarts, Professor Dippet, were always strained, Professor Dippet considering him to be somewhat reckless. By the time I became Headmaster, however, Professor Kettleburn had mellowed considerably, although there were always those who took the cynical view that with only one and a half of his original limbs remaining to him, he was forced to take life at a quieter pace.

Just quoting here! Reminded me of that story :lol:

Post subject: Re: Hogwarts Acting Troupe?
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:18 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Board index » General » Out of Character