WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: Behavior in classes
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:22 pm 
Forum Troll King

First of all, thanks to Grey for the class. I thought the speakers and what they had to say were pretty interesting (especially "the Widowmaker" and the squib wandmaker artist) and I was glad I could attend.

But, as always, player behavior in the classroom disgusted me. Players, like a bunch of yapping dogs, shouting out of turn and constantly raising their hands so they could regurgitate every, even only barely-related thought that came to them in the hopes that they'd get some attention and a pat on the head from a DM.

You guys ruin classes for me. Maybe I should be posting this in my Kudos thread.

To the majority who didn't act like attention-starved cretins, you have my thanks.

Post subject: Re: Behavior in classes
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:29 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Love you too.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:29 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Well, it's a good thing all the NPC kids behave, isn't it.

"I sense a costume opportunity!"

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:38 am 
There are plenty of books you could read or movies you could watch if you're not into interactive games.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:44 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

I won't fuss, and I won't complain about the events last night. I was too busy trying to be 4-8 npcs at once to notice much.

I will say, however, that, personal RP always being important, remember that there are both IC and OOC results to it. If your character won't hush, be expected to be called down...or, as some folks have learned, kicked out (of my classes anyway). Also, from an OOC perspective, if your character's antics are making it difficult for other players to enjoy the scene, keep that in mind as well. We've all got to share the stage nicely!

That being said, excellent RP makes it all work! Do what you do for the reasons you do it! We will do our best to reward you (good or bad ;) ) for it!

I hope folks enjoyed that class...and all that are yet to come! We love putting on the events and seeing where they go. Help us keep them great and just keep the Golden Rule in mind.

Play on!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:46 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

I personally have to ignore about 80% of the text when we get into a large group like that. (Everyone already knows that I am usually completely ignoring party.) But that's due to a language processing disorder that I have making it simply impossible to keep up. So to be completely honest, I simply don't know what it's like for everyone else. The only things that I was paying any attention to was characters immediately next to my character, the speaker, and who the speaker was talking to. I'd even ignore the latter two, if Liss was. Once in a while I'd scan text for "Liss" to see if I was missing something that pertained to my character. But that's just me because that's what I have to do... to survive!

I almost always keep emotes to whispers unless it's something -everyone- should or would see. I keep anything in the talk channel to an absolute minimum, just because there's 20+ people in the room all using it. If it doesn't need to be emoted in talk, I emote it in whisper. Usually no one past whisper range would have seen it anyway. If it doesn't need to be whispered, I'll even use an IC tell, because whisper in situations like that might even be spamming half the group.

However, as far as I know, in regards to the the class last night, the interaction was sort of the point. It wasn't even a normal class, and I took the hand-raising and attention-hogging as IC rather than OOC. Even the mad rush for professors at the end of class were about things that have been ICly building over a long time. I didn't really see much that was wrong, and I saw a lot of engaged RP. But I was also ignoring a lot, so I don't know, maybe I missed something. It all seemed IC to me, as far as I know nearly everyone was enjoying it. I'd just suggest keeping spam to a necessary minimum, whenever there are that many people in one place.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

I usually emote pretty sparingly during classes, though last night I was doing so even less than usual since Karen's brain was somewhere else completely. The only thing that bugged me about last night was the people using whisper to hold quiet conversations with the people next to them...I'd be three seats down, and I could still hear it. Tells, people. ;)

Admittedly, I did miss the last bit due to Karen having to chase someone down who was leaving early, maybe things got more out of hand in the last talk with the professors/speakers?

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:49 pm 
Forum Troll King

Yendys wrote:
The only thing that bugged me about last night was the people using whisper to hold quiet conversations with the people next to them...I'd be three seats down, and I could still hear it.

This certainly didn't help matters.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:27 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention this in my earlier post. I recall this topic being brought up a couple years ago, and either because people felt pressured or bullied or whathaveyou, the next few classes that where held showed how important emoting actually is. And the lack of emoting, yes, even those "annoyingly pointless" emotes, or the duplicates (Ex. "Opens his book" "Opens her book" "Gets to the correct page number in her book" etc.) resulted in a dry, dull atmosphere where the class seemed to lack life.

So be careful what you wish for, you just might get it... and it won't be what you want. Unless of course people enjoy silent classes with just the Professor droning on and on?

And if whispers bother you guys, er.... perhaps rp that your character is sitting next to loud whisperers and get up and move your character in a huff or something so it doesn't diminish your enjoyment of the class. :D Just a thought, yes.

"I sense a costume opportunity!"

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:11 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

I think I can TL;DR Ree's post.

If it bothers you... Deal with it ICly?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:19 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

West wrote:
I think I can TL;DR Ree's post.

Does that over-exert your attention span? Really?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:22 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Well if I could TL;DR it that means I had to read it lol. But when I just got off work sorta lol

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:31 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I have to agree with Ree on this. You cannot get annoyed with people because they are just rping what their characters would do, or if they raise their hands... It's like that irl too. Yes, there will be those with good questions, and other with stupid questions because hey, that person my be smart or dim.
There will be always annoying characters that act like dumbtards but thats life, in class you do not remember someone who was extremly unpolite towards teachers?
As Ree said if you don't like it, take it IC, move your pixel butt away from the noise. Sit next to Joki, she is a silent grave. :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:24 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I'd agree with the above if it's IC talk. If it's OOC then just leave the party; a lot of ppl spam party chat.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:47 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Just gonna toss this in one more time. Killjoy and all that fun....

Emoting is fine. Whispering is fine. Just like in the real world, if you start to offend your fellow students, they may chew you out or tell on you. There will be IC results to IC actions!

Also, just like in the real world, these classes ARE classes. Folks who disturb classes will get called out. These teachers teach...all day...multiple classes....and get filled up to the top with student antics. Your class may be at the beginning of the day or the end. Their willingness to put up with things may vary. Some professors...Snape, Moody, McGonagall come to mind....will have much less patience than others.

The only other point I should make would be around "cutesy" comment. A certain comment about the length and flexibility of wands comes to mind.... ;) That kind of stuff, while very possible (and even likely), will get you slapped and fast. So...just keep it in mind. RP the way you want! Pay the price or reap the benefits!

Other DMs may take things more or less seriously (I'm betting less. I tend to be the mean one ;) ). The bottom line, regardless, is still to RP the way you want. The results will be appropriate to the action. For better or worse, you get what you earn! <insert evil laughter>

Board index » General » Out of Character