WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: HP and the DH Part 2 (spoilers!)
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:10 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Because noone's extensively commented on it yet.

I just went and saw the movie. I liked it and disliked it.

tl;dr

I'm a canon Nazi and I dislike it when they change canon when it seems unnecessary and they've been doing that since the 3rd movie (grumbles again about Lupin's horrible werewolf form). DX

Things like the silly drawn out battle with Voldemort; there was nothing wrong with the way the book wrote the battle, so why change it (and what was with Voldemort turning into flakes once the snake was destroyed? That made no sense)? And I wanted to hear Harry explain to Voldemort why his wand didn't work and why he'd been wrong about Snape. Or Voldemort chatting to everyone twice; why did they have him do a broadcast before the battle had even started? Or Neville's rather cliched speech to Voldemort.

I could see why they left out some things like the Ravenclaw common room or the whole backhistory with Dumbledore's family due to time constraints (although it was a pity they had to leave that out; they dropped hints about it that were never explained, like Ariana's portrait and Grindelwald), but other things just seemed changed for the hell of it.

Then there were parts where they did stick to canon, to the point where I could even recognise the speeches which I liked (yeah, I've read the books too many times). The Gringotts scene was good and Helena Bonham Carter did brilliantly in making Bellatrix look not quite right. The dragon looked just like it was described in the books. Some of the action scenes were brilliantly done like McGonagall ordering the statues to defend Hogwarts. The 'King's Cross' scene with Dumbledore was good. Snape's memories were good too; I was afraid they'd mess those up. Snape was brilliant and I didn't think that the emotional scenes were inappropriate as Lily was the one thing that Snape did get emotional about.

The resurrection stone and Lily, James, Sirius and Remus coming to Harry was brilliant. Did anyone else get the feeling that they were the Marauders as they should have been (if James hadn't been such a prat to Lily at first)? Peter screwed up his right to be a Marauder and I got the feeling that the resurrection scene sort of showed all the Marauders back together again and happy, with Lily replacing Peter.

Teddy Lupin was so unmentioned I'd imagine that anyone who hadn't read the books would have said 'what Remus had a son?' during the resurrection scene lol. I did kind of miss the scene with Percy when Fred dies, but again time constraints and the scene with him dead in the Great Hall with all his family crying around him was good (George especially looked lost without his twin; were Fred and George played by twins or did the same guy play both?).

The corpses lying around after the first battle when Harry etc. were walking through the halls were a nice touch; they really gave it the feeling of being a warzone.

The kiss with Ron and Hermione turned out alright (I was worried that it would be insignificant because I already knew that they weren't sticking to the real version. I did miss Harry's comments though).

The Nevile/Luna bit seemed a little strange and I still feel the same about the Epilogue as I did about the one in the book; unnecessary and a bit annoying forcing them suddenly into happy families.

I thought everyone acted really well, especially Harry, Hermione and Ron but even those with less lines put it all out there for the last movie. Overall I thought it was a nice end to the movies.

Post subject: Re: HP and the DH Part 2 (spoilers!)
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:30 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Well I thought the film was brillant. Some things were changed and perhaps for the better. As for Luna and Neville there have been signs since the 5th movie. ;)
Lupin son was not in the epilogue, no, but Tonks mentioned "good news" in the begining of HP 7 part 1 and put her hand to her tummy, so you'd figure out the rest. I admit I was disappointed that we didn't get to see Lupin freak out and seem like a horrible person, and then Harry setting him back into his place... Along with the baby, I would have liked to see that. Along with the whole Dumbledore was evil plot that got COMPLETLY out of the picture! :O Once you got to the Hogshead part and see his brother and sister you don't really feel much because the movie lacked the Dumbledores backstory!
What I really liked, was the ending in Kingscross, with the Voldemort fetus, those who know me, know those things creep the crap out of me... Seeing the voldy baby was how I saw it in the 4th book in my mind, and I was glad they put that in.
Also Snapes death was far more violent then I had imagined.
MC G' made me laugh! :D "Oooh I've always wanted to use that spell!"
IN ALL:
The movie is awesome, the book is awesome.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:41 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

I liked the movie too! I can agree that I think the way they changed some things were for the 'better.' I was shocked they changed some things but have grown on them. Too me the changes I feel were needed to make it so that it wasn't all about Harry Potter. Sure Harry killed Voldemort but it wasn't all about Harry anymore. Nevilles speech I think put that into play. Thats just me though. I don't know I might not make any sense here. I thought the Movie was good! Besides I am sure there will be extended editions with more movie we can watch when the DVD comes out!

p.s- did ya have to abreviate the movie title? :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:06 am 
Game Master
Game Master

TheSilvernight wrote:
..."Oooh I've always wanted to use that spell!"...

I loved that, since when does she get a sense of humor??? She is half giggling in that statement. But anyway, I feel like the did both the movie and books perfectly, i mean we people who read the book know all those little things, but people who just watched the movie *my mom* said she had no problem understanding it all, except like many others she go the feeling Snape was Harry's dad, which i quickly corrected her. The poof supporting this James and Snape look completely different. I think they did the battle between Harry and Voldemort great, Because we get to see more of the destoryed hogwarts. :D I hate how they made Belatrix and Voldemort die in the the evaportation/decinagration way, which was really great in 3D if i might add. by and by this is one of those movies they cannot "be by the book" because you have to get the directors version in it. And if it did go by the book the movie would be like 4 hours long. *i wouldntve complained* So yeah...
R.I.P. Snape.... :(

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:49 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Quote:
*my mom* said she had no problem understanding it all, except like many others she go the feeling Snape was Harry's dad

Yeah, my mom thought the same thing at first. But also the movie -was- over 4 hours long, because the 1st part was 146 min and the 2nd part was 131 min...

Anyway, The books were great, but then after I watched part 2, I started remember some of the scenes that I read about was the supposed to happen in it, like that kid with the camera from the second film Colin Creevy was supposed to return but he dies, and I also thought it sucked that out of everyone that died, it only showed Fred die, for the rest, it only showed their bodies. That reminds me, and Fred and George really are twins in real life for the one that asked it. I thought the speech Neville gave out to Voldemort was really touching too, and what he did when he pulled out that sword from the hat and stood up to him like that was very brave, I also didn't hear the lines I wanted to hear like when Harry was telling Voldemort what was going to happen the second time he faced him in the Courtyard, and also the part where Ginny almost died was left out, they could have left most of the parts from the book inside the film, I wanted to see a lot of the final battle. There were parts in the film that did make me laugh though like Ron saying to Harry reaction when Ginny shows up "Wow, been away for 6 months and it's like they don't exist". Another scene I really wanted to see and they also left out was Harry was supposed to use the elder wand to fix his wand then get rid of it. But apart from all, the film was badass, I liked it.

P.S.: I'm sure everyone else knows the rest of the good scenes that wasn't put into the film.

Mitchel Mercury - First year Slytherin
Jericho Vice - First year Hufflepuff
Channing McIntosh - First year Hufflepuff
Whitlock Tsunami - First year Slytherin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:31 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

I just saw the film a few hours ago and I loved it overall :D I was a bit annoyed about the Eldar Wand as well, I liked the idea of Harry fixing his wand then putting it back in Dumbledore's tomb, but I guess this works. And who'd want to go into Dumbles' tomb again after all that? I was defiantly annoyed with the extended duel between Harry and Voldy. Harry doesn't have the experience to duel Voldemort, he never did one on one, and he wasn't that great at Non-Verbals spells. He spent the entirety of Part 2 casting non-verbally, he was crap at it in the 6th book and in the 7th mostly said his spells out loud. He won that duel in the books because Voldemort was using "his" wand, the Eldar Wand refused to work against it's master, the Expelliarmus hit and Harry was holding the Eldar Wand while Voldy's AK rebounded again and he died. As I said to my dad as we left the theater, "You know, you'd think Voldy would stop using AK's on Harry, by the third time it should be obvious it's not going to work against him."

As to McGonagall, I loved seeing that side of her, the other teachers as well. I think she always had a sense of humor, she never expelled the Maraurders did she? Or the Trio for that matter ;) I hated that the students weren't evacuated. All they do is run around like chickens with their heads cut off for the first 3/4ths of the battle >.<

Overall, a great ending to the series! Like all the films I missed bits (Trelawny chucking crystal balls on Greyback's head or Peeves helping the Hogwarts staff in the final battle) but I knew there would be things left out back when they released the first film :)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:10 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Well actually the way it was is that Voldemort uses the elder wand in the final battle and Harry uses the wand he won from Malfoy, and like Harry said at the end of part 2, he become the true master of the elder wand when he disarmed Malfoy in Malfoy manor. So overall, when Voldemort casted the killing curse and Harry casted Expelliarmus, the spell would backfire since the elder wand doesn't attack it's true master which was Harry, which also during the battle is when Harry was telling Voldemort that only one was gonna go down for good. And I also just realized something else just now, they also [censored] up on the final film because they didn't put Peeves in it like they were supposed to.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:47 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Was I the only one that thought the book ended when Harry casted Confringo on the snake, and then it jumped nineteen years later?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:14 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Kingsean12 wrote:
Was I the only one that thought the book ended when Harry casted Confringo on the snake, and then it jumped nineteen years later?

I don't remember Harry ever casting anything on the snake in the book. She was always protected in that bubble, which they didn't show in the movie. Neville killed the snake in the book as well.

I forgot, one thing I missed was Harry telling Voldemort at the end to think about what he'd done and have a little remorse and Voldemort's wtf response.

Everyone in the theatre with me was definitely caught up in the film; there was cheering and clapping at things like Molly kicking Bellatrix' [censored] or Neville killing Nagini and awws at Snapes death. Everyone clapped at the end which always seems silly to me in a movie. It's not like a play where the actors can actually hear you lol.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:23 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Well technically both Ron and Neville killed the snake, Ron cast'ed the killing curse at her and Neville Sliced her with the sword.

Quote:
I don't remember Harry ever casting anything on the snake in the book.

Well whether it was in the book or not, they still added it in there, Rowling was on set of all 7 films being made, she wanted to make sure everything in the film went exactly the way it was in the book, but she also gave the film makers permission to add scenes in the film that -aren't- in the book. So yeah, right when Neville gave Voldemort that speech and stood up to him when he pulled the sword out of the hat, then Harry jumped out of Hagrids arms then casted Confringo at the snake which in other cases didn't work out that well and the spell bounced off and hit the group of Death Eaters, then he took off. I just didn't see why Harry would really try a spell on the snake when he knew that only basilisk venom can kill a horcrux.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:37 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Jigsaw wrote:
Well technically both Ron and Neville killed the snake, Ron cast'ed the killing curse at her and Neville Sliced her with the sword.

Ron didn't do that in the book.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:10 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Jigsaw wrote:
I just didn't see why Harry would really try a spell on the snake when he knew that only basilisk venom can kill a horcrux.

Actually living horcruxes can be killed normal ways, thus why the AK killed the horcrux inside Harry.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:33 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Quote:
Actually living horcruxes can be killed normal ways, thus why the AK killed the horcrux inside Harry.

Well, yeah, but Harry cast'ed -Confringo- at the snake, Voldemort cast'ed AK at Harry, and since it was a killing curse, it killed the Horcrux, plus like Dumbledor said "Yes, Harry must die, and Voldemort himself must do it"

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:02 pm 
Forum Troll King

Jigsaw wrote:
Rowling was on set of all 7 films being made, she wanted to make sure everything in the film went exactly the way it was in the book

lol

In any case, reading's stupid! USA! USA!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:20 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Odds are, Voldemort can kill his own Horcruxes without needing anything overly special. It's just suicide, right? That said, Avada Kadavre may simply be en league with Basilisk venom/Fiend Fyre.

Also, funny, Nik. :P

Board index » General » Out of Character