WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: Character Names
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:42 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

One of the hardest things to do is(imo - beyond story building, picture finding, character building or cloth-making issssssssss) figuring out what to name your character! Sooo many times I have looked at Dru's name and cringed, or I've been reading through bios and sighed that someone else found such a fitting, cool name for their character that I completely over-looked and instead settled on most common British names 2011.

SO.

If you happen to hear of, think of or see a cool name that you would name your character given the re-opportunity, post it here! It will probably help people (including me. I am so bad about this. Seriously)

<3

Post subject: Re: Character Names
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:24 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Edith Piaf

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:36 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Actually, some people really like Dru's name.

Dru wrote:
I've been reading through bios and sighed that someone else found such a fitting, cool name for their character that I completely over-looked

To be fair, you should choose names that are realistic, not super awesomely cool. So that's why I sometimes pluck names from books and people I know and squish it together to make a name. Or you find out where your character is from and choose a name combination from the list of popular names. The latter is what I would recommend for surnames.

Also, the name has to actually fit. If you ask lots of people to throw names they think sound good at you, you're probably going to not like them because they won't "fit" your character. It's just a better idea to think it up on your own or actually explain the character before asking for suggestions.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:56 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I read baby name sites (probably lucky I don't have a boyfriend or I might have given him a heart attack lol). You can look names up by meanings, so think of a word that describes your char and try to find a name that matches. I'm horribly fussy with names; it takes me ages to choose the right one.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:19 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

For Karen, Josh and Lily I just picked common names that kids living in the UK might have. Hogwarts in the books wasn't totally populated by Dracos and Severuses, most of the students had mundane or ethnic names. So for every Drusilla or Necrolissica walking around, we need a good handful of people whose names we can actually pronounce and spell! ;)
For Jabari, I just googled names(first and last) that were ethnic for the region of Africa that his family was from. I probably screwed up the research, but if you don't look too closely you won't notice. I think his name sounds nice. I couldn't imagine just making up a fantasy-style name for one of my characters on this server, like I would a fantasy RPG. That just feels weird to me!

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:55 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Madsqueaky wrote:
To be fair, you should choose names that are realistic, not super awesomely cool. So that's why I sometimes pluck names from books and people I know and squish it together to make a name. Or you find out where your character is from and choose a name combination from the list of popular names. The latter is what I would recommend for surnames.

That's what I do! Yay

..... Cray Calcifer Fencrow - Xabriel Seth Raventongue
Gryffindor - Gryffindor
Image Image

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:36 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

My thought process, "I wanna play some deutschbag whose name sounds European and at the same time as 'Wolf' in it." Thus was born the infamous Viktor Wulffengraft.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:53 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Kingsean12 wrote:
deutschbag.

lmao

Thank you MadSqueaky <3 I don't like her name though! I have been forced to make it fit over years!

I was more or less kinda sorta asking for people just to post lists of cool names that they think are neat. :P Like, OKTOBER VALLENTIN (wtf, cool), or Kestrel Chimaera Francesca Maevenici (If I could warp 2-3 years back I would just to change Dru's last name to Maevenici!), or 'Necrolisscaaca Crest' (it sounds so snobbishly Slytherin!) or of course "Wilde" (She is wild and her name is wilde, wtf fitting)

Speaking of Joki, LOL I just found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
Tell me that replacing Hitler with Joki and Nazi with RT is not so suiting! (it made me laugh I'm just playing but seriously! And I am not comparing RT to a nazi or Hitler.)

Anywho, I guess I will derail my own self a little more. I want to make a new character who is not a snobby snob Slytherin because I've played that out way too long. I want a pureblood Ravenclaw! I want a name that sounds suitable to Hogwarts and not Muggle Elementary.

I want to use Seraphina ________ but I can't think of anything that even sounds remotely fitting. D: So if you have ideas, lemme know! (Sarah for short!)

--I searched websites of Mythical Surnames frantically for a few hours before posting this! I just don't get where you guyses brains are pulling these cool, unusual names from! Maybe I should read books more often or something.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:02 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Dru wrote:
Speaking of Joki, LOL I just found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
Tell me that replacing Hitler with Joki and Nazi with RT is not so suiting! (it made me laugh I'm just playing but seriously! And I am not comparing RT to a nazi or Hitler.)

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving RT or Joki approaches 1."
That's cra-...um, actually, kind of true. More so for the latter than the former, but still. 8O

Dru wrote:
--I searched websites of Mythical Surnames frantically for a few hours before posting this! I just don't get where you guyses brains are pulling these cool, unusual names from! Maybe I should read books more often or something.

For a fantasy name, I hit the random name button several times until I find something that inspires me, then I tweak the vowels/syllables until it sounds pretty. This has served me well through ten years of MMORPGing.

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:42 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Dru wrote:
Seraphina ________

Too easy.

Seraphina Serendipity
Seraphina Sephiroth
Seraphina Montecheli
Seraphina Linguini
Seraphina Prodigialis
Seraphina Adipiscing
Seraphina Van Die Stomgepraat.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:47 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

You could go for a plain name, you know. Sirius' last name was Black.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:04 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

I decided on something totally different but in the process of hunting I found some neat names:

Montesquieu
Nox
Amaranth

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:54 am 
Forum Fifth Year
Forum Fifth Year

Mmm, I generally just collect a bunch of letters and jumble them together into something that sounds cool-ish.

For example, my main character's surname I invented by just sticking 'Le' on the front. Since she's French. :-)

Amélie Le'Rouche

Adrian Palicki

Alejandro Garcia

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:53 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

I must admit, i just used the random name generator on nwn and lucked out. Tomar sounds close to Tom but far enough away to have a bit of magicalness and Webber is an actual surname.

Board index » General » Out of Character