WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: Religion on HP
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:40 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

I've been curious about this for awhile since one of my characters is extreme about an alternative religion:

What is the main religion on HP? Like, if the WoHP were actually real, would they be mostly Christians, Catholics, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhists (and so on) or is it just a big cesspool of different philosophies/religions? Or do you think that witches and wizards would believe in something else entirely that JKR never wrote about? Moreover, what does your character believe in (if anything)?

Post subject: Re: Religion on HP
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:55 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I think that JKR made a specific point of making HP witchcraft as secular as possible. There are already whingers out there that complain that it's promoting paganism; there would be fundamentalist lynch mobs if HP was even slightly religious. DX

The only remotely religious thing seems to be Christmas and that's solely suits of armour singing 'o come all ye faithful' lol. The rest is all Santa. Even the afterlife is careful to remain non religious, as in it's never specified in ways that you could attribute to a RL religion.

However, I would presume that HP chars had the same religions as Muggles and the same mix of those religions and/or atheism, seeing as there is no wizarding religion mentioned (for the reasons I mentioned above). It's really left entirely to our imaginations as the books are so distinctly non religious.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:02 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Yeah. One time I got sent to the principal's office for wearing a pentagram when I was like 10 and rebelling and I told them it was from a Harry Potter gift set and then there was all this drama about free religion practices etcetc.

But anyway, I can certainly see why JKR didn't want to impose religion. She'd probably be killing herself. D;

It would be interesting if people could handle a children's book with class and take it in stride that fictional characters may have an alternative lifestyle. But hey.

I dunno. With what exists/doesn't exist in WoHP it has always been a struggle for me to try to find a realistic religion for run of the mill characters (like on realistic RP servers you can pretty much just grab one of the aforementioned faiths and roll with that thoughtlessly). I wonder if JKR sat there like, "Harry is a total ______" but couldn't write it. :< Hm!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:45 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

I read an interesting internet article once upon a time that broke down the demographics of the UK and applied them to Hogwarts, showing how many students would be of certain ethnicities, religions, etc. However, I can't find it now. :(
It would totally have been relevant. *cries*

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:15 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Aye, brilliant thing about the UK is that no one realy cares what religion you are since there are so many different ones, its normally described by politicians as a "mixing pot". So basically, the religions at Hogwarts would likely just be a conglomeration (I love that word) of every and all religions, even the obscure ones like "Jedi" or maybe Squirrels in Drathil's case.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

The main thing to keep in mind while rp'ing a religion is how quickly religion crosses from IC to OOC in people's minds. Simply put, it falls into the category that usually should be avoided. Or if done, needs to be kept more of a personal 'plot' style for the individual character... handing out tracks, trying to 'convert' other characters just won't be allowed. We do not allow mocking of religions, and it's happened before. We've requested that the character discontinue that line of role play.

That being said, I can name a few characters that are openly religious, or rp that their families are/have been. Angel and Zane, I believe are both Catholic, Sierra was raised protestant by the muggle half of her family, and we've had a few Atheists. Maybe even a Buddhist. The "Bible" simply does not function within the world Rowling established.

Does your character -need- a -real- religion? Is this something that your character will strongly hold to? Will this be a personal growth issue for them? If so, rp a religion. But be aware that it can quickly get messy. And we won't allow religion to be dragged through the mud, same with racism, etc.

"I sense a costume opportunity!"

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:36 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Reebober wrote:
And we won't allow religion to be dragged through the mud

Well that just kills the fun.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:20 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Just to be tactful of other people's beliefs it should be pretty common knowledge not to overly do it infront of anyone unless you know they won't get offended. Either way, I guess I was more or less alluding to the question of: I wonder if witches/wizards would have their own religion none of us have even heard of? That'd be pretty neat. Like...I dunno. It'd be cool. Like Scientology.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:09 pm 
Forum First Year
Forum First Year

Tomar_Webber wrote:
even the obscure ones like "Jedi"

I'm sure there was one year where the UK census actually recorded that Jedi was one of the most common religions listed, if not the most popular.

Maybe that was just an old school rumour, never really paid attention to this stuff. I'd like to think it's true, though.

TheSilvernight wrote:

Right?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:35 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Well i can say not jewish, not to be mean or rude to any of them, but to me HP relates alot to the Holocaust, and how to kill jews(muggles), Hitler(Voldemort), and Dumble , ect.(Allies) and death eaters/followers (Axis). Hmm strange huh.

Anyone ever notice that?
Or just me, cause i shouldn't be given free time.
By the way sorry for the forest fires, my mom gave me a box of matches :P

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:18 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Dru wrote:
Just to be tactful of other people's beliefs it should be pretty common knowledge not to overly do it infront of anyone unless you know they won't get offended. Either way, I guess I was more or less alluding to the question of: I wonder if witches/wizards would have their own religion none of us have even heard of? That'd be pretty neat. Like...I dunno. It'd be cool. Like Scientology.

There is nothing cool about Scientology. DX

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:46 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

TheSilvernight wrote:
Reebober wrote:
And we won't allow religion to be dragged through the mud

FYI: I was kidding.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:49 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Reebober wrote:
We do not allow mocking of religions, and it's happened before. We've requested that the character discontinue that line of role play.
And we won't allow religion to be dragged through the mud, same with racism, etc.

Charity wrote:
There is nothing cool about Scientology. DX

I'm just [censored] with you, woman. But anyway, I meant it'd be cool if there was some invented religion within HP, the same way that Scientology was invented.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:05 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Feel free to invent a religion, just as long as it's done tactfully... and it sounds like a ton of work to me. But if that's what your character is into, go for it. :)

"I sense a costume opportunity!"

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Zane wouldn't be Zane...or half as ironic...if he were not a practicing Catholic. If you want to play a religious character, then go for it. Weird is good, too. Can you imagine Luna in church?

Actually. I think I can!

Board index » General » Out of Character