WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: Re: What is there to do?
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:13 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

bigfoot&illuminati wrote:
a text description left behind by another player or a DM can have the same effect just as well.

Proposal: level 1 ooc wand spell that creates an invisible item(don't we have one of those in the toolset that's just a spot that you can hover over and examine?) which works like an easel and can hold an ooc description. Players can use this to note temporary changes in the world. Casting the spell again on top of an existing ooc description item will delete it. Would be lovely to be able to have our non-conjuring students be able to leave notes, as well as have it more ooc and less getting icly excited about an easel that turns out to just hold an ooc note.

I am still strongly opposed to permanent objects being added, but I think we can do more with temporary things...DM -and- PC-side.

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post subject: Re: What is there to do?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:32 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I actually do think that the server has a good mix of imaginative RP and visually inspired RP. We're probably arguing over nothing here lol and I wasn't really suggesting that the server be changed.

Regarding squirrels or other animals, I admit that I like to see the physical animals. And yeah, not every place needs to be overrun with them when you want to RP somewhere empty. But I forget that the forest is empty at the moment because everything is being redone, so it isn't really representative atm of what the mod will look like at the end. I'm sure eventually there will be some animals around in some places.

Ok, looking back at my original question, we have gone a little off topic.

Thinking about it, I guess I went looking for stuff to do because I didn't have any ideas when I was sitting in the Entrance Hall with people my char didn't really know. Unimaginative probably, but I've never been good at small talk and noone else ever brings up conversation topics either, so I presumed that they were equally out of ideas. So I went looking for something tangible to RP with. If there's all this imaginative RP then why do people just sit around in the Entrance Hall silently? I assumed that they couldn't find anything to do.

What do people do when noone their char knows well is online and people aren't even around the main thoroughfares. If you can see where people are on party, is it okay to just drop in on them? I was always taught that using party like that was metagaming. But RPing with yourself is no fun; you might as well go play single player.

Oh, and an OOC spell to do wand writing would be useful. It means that lower years aren't limited in what they can describe happening or having done because they haven't learnt the spell yet. Actually, has anyone seen servers where they have an in game messageboard where people can post anything from lost pets to clubs to important announcements and people can reply to them? Yes, there are the forums, but sometimes it's useful to have something in game as well.

Board index » General » Out of Character