WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: Queries re changes to the server
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:24 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Just some things that I've been wondering about lately. I know everyone is busy working on the curriculum and I'm not saying do these things now XD; I just wanted to know if they were planned or not.

Does the Durmstrang curriculum still work? Seeing as the animals in the woods nearby are gone I'm going to guess not. Is it going to be overhauled or canned?

Are animals going to be put back in areas? I know a lot of them were just there for homework and are no longer needed, but the place is so empty now. Even the bats in the castle eaves are gone. Hagrid lost his skrewt and the horklump in his garden. We can't go hunting for pixies and knarls anymore. Even a few non hostile magical creatures would give the place more atmosphere (I still await the Weasley joke shop item that allows you to release pixies in Lockhart's office).

Is the vanishing cabinet still around? I haven't seen it lately. I also noticed that Professor Trelawney's crystal ball where you could see the Grim was removed. Does noone want things like this anymore? I always thought that it reflected the mystery and unexpectedness of Hogwarts.

Are the Library Adventures still available and are they going to be available in the future? Sometimes you need things to do when noone else is on and being able to explore the books' stories was cool. Also, are there going to be more Terrortours?

Has anyone ever had plans to make a Room of Requirement? I can imagine how that would be cool.

Post subject: Re: Queries re changes to the server
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I've no idea about the Durmstrang curriculum, but if I had to guess, I'm assuming it's getting canned, or put into a pile of something akin to library adventures. And on the topic of those, there are certainly some still available: The Chamber of Secrets should still be there, although I'm not sure whether the spiders are still available. The Philosopher's Stone adventure is presumably still in the mod, but inaccessible to players. Which just leaves The Shrieking Shack, which most certainly is there, and does work.

Of course, you have TerrorTours which offer something akin to library adventures, and there's China, even if there isn't much of anything to do there.

As for the forest: Creatures will, at some point, be re-added, but they're not going to be quite as simple as they were. The forest is a dangerous place, it's not a place just any first year should (or should be able to) go and kill things for fun.

I think Yendys and Calan are the ones currently best qualified to answer this, or clear up anything I've misunderstood.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 am 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

Charity wrote:
Is the vanishing cabinet still around?

Yep!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:51 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

All old curriculum crafting recipes were removed from the database, including Durmstrang.

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

The plan for Durmstrang isn't to can it, but to revamp it with the Hogwarts curriculum.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:16 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Insanity wrote:
I've no idea about the Durmstrang curriculum, but if I had to guess, I'm assuming it's getting canned, or put into a pile of something akin to library adventures. And on the topic of those, there are certainly some still available: The Chamber of Secrets should still be there, although I'm not sure whether the spiders are still available. The Philosopher's Stone adventure is presumably still in the mod, but inaccessible to players. Which just leaves The Shrieking Shack, which most certainly is there, and does work.

Of course, you have TerrorTours which offer something akin to library adventures, and there's China, even if there isn't much of anything to do there.

As for the forest: Creatures will, at some point, be re-added, but they're not going to be quite as simple as they were. The forest is a dangerous place, it's not a place just any first year should (or should be able to) go and kill things for fun.

I think Yendys and Calan are the ones currently best qualified to answer this, or clear up anything I've misunderstood.

I think the book required for China no longer drops in the library (correct me if I'm wrong). And how do you get into Library Adventures?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:56 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Spoilers! (This is where we need that code, Calan. :D )

Chamber of Secrets is started by talking to Moaning Myrtle.

The Prisoner of Azkaban is started either in a tunnel or (preferably) a professor's office.

The Philosopher's Stone was started by talking to Hagrid, or simply going to the right hand corridor of the third floor. But, again, that one is no longer available. And the Hagrid step was not actually necessary.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:23 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Several of the scripts were broken when the curric changed, but I haven't gone through each one and found all of the broken parts. If anyone wants to try out the adventures and let me know where things are broken, we can try to correct the broken parts. At the same time, the starting point will be changed to begin with a book in the library. But that's not in yet, so just RP it.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:29 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Calan wrote:
Several of the scripts were broken when the curric changed, but I haven't gone through each one and found all of the broken parts. If anyone wants to try out the adventures and let me know where things are broken, we can try to correct the broken parts. At the same time, the starting point will be changed to begin with a book in the library. But that's not in yet, so just RP it.

Okay, I figured that I'd try and actually be useful, so I tried each 'adventure'.

Philosopher's Stone is undoable because there is no transition to the other side of the third floor corridor. Also, Hagrid is not in his cabin to talk to.

Chamber of Secrets is, as far as I could see, broken, because Myrtle wouldn't tell me anything whether I was nice or mean to her.

The Shrieking Shack seems doable. I found the key and made it to the shack.

The book that lets you into Library Adventures doesn't seem to drop in the library anymore (at least I couldn't get it to).

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:41 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Charity wrote:
Chamber of Secrets is, as far as I could see, broken, because Myrtle wouldn't tell me anything whether I was nice or mean to her.

She didn't give you a book? She can either give it to you following a correct conversation line, or I believe she drops it if you 'kill' her. I'm uncertain of the latter.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:57 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Insanity wrote:
Charity wrote:

She didn't give you a book? She can either give it to you following a correct conversation line, or I believe she drops it if you 'kill' her. I'm uncertain of the latter.

Well I was nice to her all the way through and nothing happened. The first time I was mean she went hostile and I had to kill her, but she didn't drop anything.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:08 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Myrtle's script hasn't changed, nor was it affected by the curric changes. So I'm not sure what's going on there.

The third floor's transition isn't there, because it wasn't there in the original mod. But I assume there was a Fluffy... I actually never played that plot even once, so I don't know.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:17 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Calan wrote:
The third floor's transition isn't there, because it wasn't there in the original mod. But I assume there was a Fluffy... I actually never played that plot even once, so I don't know.

It was there, it was just hidden behind a locked door in a locked closet and was nowhere near where you would normally put any kind of area transition.
But putting it in the mod, at the empty transition on the current third floor, does not entirely seem appropriate, unless it's actually properly locked.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:43 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

This is what I get for never having actually played through that adventure. So I assume that's where Fluffy was and all that? I'll have to pull that out of one of the archived modules from when it was still in there.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Board index » General » Out of Character