WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: Creativity
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:27 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Hi!

Maybe it's just me because my playing hours are kind of warped but I noticed that there aren't many (if any) players on the server. I have, however, noticed that the players who are on from time to time are new people.

I loooooove HP and have played for manymany years so please don't take this wrong or as a jab at the server.

I think the reason most people have stopped playing (as seen briefly in a few other threads with a similar subject matter) is because there's a lack of creativity. I know that as players it is our responsibility to keep our characters going and make fun for ourselves (and, of course, that no one can pop out of the wood work and immediately make your character come to life and that is solely your job), BUT.

It might be a decent idea (?) to pool together the players (in this thread) who still play, or have an interest in becoming active again, and thinking of some good plots that we can build up that involve a wide spectrum of characters. I would do this in game (preferably, of course), but there is rarely anyone on most of the times I try to hop on, yet, some of them are on Skype. So the next best thing (imo)? Plot something vaguely on the forums, plan a date and time to let it unravel and take it from there!

--IMO, These ideas should be ideas that do not involve a DM on the client (originally, anyway). That kind of hampers the whole idea if every step taken revolves around a DM playing, or if that DM can not involve their character because they have to take on the burden of guiding everyone.--

In the book ideas would be cool, with our own twist to make it server-acceptable! Or just any crazy thing. If you're going to post an idea though, try to post something that has the potential to involve players from all houses should the player want to become involved. I guess what I mean is - while "let's pick flowers and roll in them" is a cool idea for maybe Hufflepuff, it kind of leaves a void for characters who are very Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and possibly Gryffindor. But still do it! Activeness is good!

Post subject: Re: Creativity
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

While I'm afraid I don't really have anything to throw on the board myself, at least at the moment, I'd definitely like to try join something, if it comes up. Both as a player and a DM, if such is needed, without being an essential part of whatever's going on.

Edit: I dunno if this counts as a good 1024th post, Yendys, but I always miss these things. :(

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:14 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I'm definitely interested.

One of my chars is currently trying to start up a duelling cards club, but so far one one person has shown any interest.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Jade would probably be happy to jump into something like this.

Quote:
Activeness is good!

This too! A lot of the reason for the problem, as others have brought up to me in the past, is that people aren't logging in and being patient, plus others are discouraged from coming on because no one else is on, so it leads to a nasty cycle of "no one's on, so I'm not staying."

If you want population back, your best effort is to be a part of it. Make RP if you can, join others' RP if you can't (even if they're not characters yours is familiar with, sometimes!), and sometimes just waiting can help too. I know how painful the waiting part can be, especially if others logged in are constantly AFK or engaged in their own thing already, but it's really the only thing that might bring more people on.

Ana Celine - Took her revenge and vanished into the night.
Space Dog - Some say it still roams the halls of Hogwarts in search of petting.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:13 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

I support this.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:53 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Insanity wrote:
Edit: I dunno if this counts as a good 1024th post, Yendys, but I always miss these things. :(

Woooo! \o/

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:54 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

What iiiiiiif everyone (teachers, students, etc) all wake up one morning and no one has any magical ability, potions taste like grape juice & brooms have no use? Like absolutely everyone has been batty for the past however long because someone is playing a prank over everyone in Hogwarts.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:35 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

That's the sort of thing that would need a DM involved, because it affects everybody in the mod. In fact, IMO, such a plot would really be undoable, because no DM could be online all the time to police it(and not everybody reads forums, plus it wouldn't be very fair to new players, etc). If it just affected your character, though...go for it.

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:12 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Oh, true! I didn't think of that.

Hmmm! I'm just brain storming here, so...I'm not entirely sure if these ideas are doable, or feasible, or if they'd even achieve the end goal. Hopefully, though, one of these ideas may spur a gem from someone else! So if anyone else has an idea post it pleeeeees!

This, despite being contrary to my original post, might be neat? I'm not sure.

What if a DM roleplayed a muggle famous person (Britney Spears?) who happened to be shoved by a malicious wizard who absolutely loathes her/him into the platform to get into the wizarding world?

I dunno what kind of side-plots players have going on, but if one of them involves whacky experiments what if one of their experiments goes wrong & lurks through the school? (Also requires DM precense. :( )

What if we create a new sport for students to participate in that is completely player ran after the initial thing of some teacher introducing it to the students (whether that be via the forums, in game, or both?) Quid is really neat, but from what I've seen it's a little hard to implement into the server and it's sorta dead.

We could also create a cool holiday that JK never spoke about. Something completely WoHP created! Maybe a holiday where wizards and witches (regardless of house) -try- to get along with one another fully and celebrate their magical finesse? And good behavior is rewarded with..I dunno, something as incentive (ICly) for characters to be persuaded to be cordial? With lots of festivities, games, food/drinks etc? Kinda like a witchy xmas!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Double-posty, cause this idea is probably better than the others and deserves its own post.

You know how in high school (in the US, anyway) you're required to do a senior project before you can even fathom graduating?

Well, "back in the day" my senior project was exploring all future paths I could take my life in. Army, college, or a job. We had to explore every possibility, write reports on all of them and the pros/cons.

I doubt people really have the time or desire to submit essays to the staff, and I doubt the staff wants to become OOC teachers, but!

It might be a neat on going idea for all 7th years to have to begin exploring their future. Maybe a once a month field trip to a certain place (muggle world jobs, wizard world jobs, wizard army (?), muggle army, muggle college and wizarding college)? I guess someone would have to build little areas to make this happen right, but it'd be pretty cool. It could also lead eventually into post-grad stuff! Maybe!

Like the entire future graduating class of Hogwarts all have to work together in an office building and fathom the odd world of telephones and computers! Then the next week they all have to go to Diagon and pick up jobs there. I dunno. Could be cool! The only problem I could foresee is players who aren't roleplaying 7th years not getting to join in. Buuuut, they could go visit, order stuff, or maybe tag along for extra credit!

It'd be a lot of work but I have a feeling a lot of people would assist if this is something interesting!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Dru wrote:
What if we create a new sport for students to participate in that is completely player ran after the initial thing of some teacher introducing it to the students (whether that be via the forums, in game, or both?) Quid is really neat, but from what I've seen it's a little hard to implement into the server and it's sorta dead.

I want Quidditch to be reawoken! We don't need a DM to play it (correct me if I'm wrong), so all we need is for people to actually hold tryouts and practices and matches.

What happened to that project someone was working on to make brooms look real and able to be hovered on?

Is it possible for anyone to go down to the Quidditch pitch and hold an impromptu game? Someone said that only the Quidditch Captains were able to spawn the Quaffle and Bludgers? Well if that's true then it shouldn't be!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:32 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

No you don't need a DM to play or RP quidditch.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:20 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Charity wrote:
I want Quidditch to be reawoken! We don't need a DM to play it (correct me if I'm wrong), so all we need is for people to actually hold tryouts and practices and matches.

Tom held several try-outs and had a rather full team at one point or another. The problem is that just because one house has a full team, doesn't mean the others do, either. Then there's also the problem of some people leaving and others joining, which makes the whole roster of players less-than-stable. And to have a full-size Quidditch match you'll need at least 14 PCs online. At the same time. So that's why there haven't really been any house vs house Quidditch matches, unfortunately.

Charity wrote:
What happened to that project someone was working on to make brooms look real and able to be hovered on?

Yeah, I still have said 3D broom (and wand) designs lying around. I remember getting a tad stonewalled at one point, though, and integrating these custom models (and potentially animations, later on) is much more of a chore than you'd think. It isn't simply creating the object in 3D...it's the integration process into NWN that is really unfriendly.
Add to that the fact that this server is strictly anti-mod past the CEP and you can see how things may become a little difficult. I had been working on a separate extra custom mod file within CEP, which would be an optional download, but not a requirement for the mod.

The models that I had posted on the forums ages ago are still around. If people are actually interested in this, I might have another look at it, but I'd have to be sure it'd actually get through this time. I have plenty of stuff to do when it comes to 3D modelling. I don't feel like wasting my time with something that won't go anywhere. So far I have created the Nimbus 2000 & 2001, and I also made a Firebolt model, though I wasn't pleased with the texture just yet. I also made 3 different kinds of wands as well. I just noticed Calan posted a custom mod link in the room of requirements section, so it may be possible to add my stuff to said file. Time will tell, I'm sure.

~Hope that answered your questions, Skull

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:10 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Skullcleaver wrote:
I remember getting a tad stonewalled at one point

You weren't getting stonewalled. :roll:

Skullcleaver wrote:
Add to that the fact that this server is strictly anti-mod past the CEP

I came up with a way to do this just for you. :roll: In fact, I went live on a test for this just a few days ago. It's an optional hak. It apparently has some technical issues that are odd, but it still may work.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:23 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Calan wrote:
Skullcleaver wrote:
I remember getting a tad stonewalled at one point

You weren't getting stonewalled. :roll:

I came up with a way to do this just for you. :roll: In fact, I went live on a test for this just a few days ago. It's an optional hak. It apparently has some technical issues that are odd, but it still may work.

Then you seem to have forgotten I had already sent you a file with the two finished brooms and three wands back when I first finished creating them. If you don't have those anymore I could resend them, if you're actually ready to use them this time around :roll: :wink:

Board index » General » Out of Character