WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: New Curriculum for Dummies.
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:36 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

I am having a tough time with this New curriculum. It getting frustrating. So I wanted to open up a place where we could get tips to make it a bit easier. I have figured out the essays I think for the most part.

Example:

Lumos:

1) Got to the Card Catalog in the Library. Search for 'Lumos'. You'll be then told where to go to find it. It varies on each spell.
2) In the aile you must find the book clickable. Click on it and a dialogue will come up with the research of the spell.
3) **Read it carefully and click the option that is the same as the description. This step is important because if you don't click the right one it WILL NOT WORK.
4) Now go to the nearest scribing table. (Charms Classroom-3rd floor).
5) Place the proper items on the table. DO NOT CLOSE IT YET.
6) Speak the spell in chat. so for instance, Lumos. DO NOT CLOSE IT YET.
7) Use your wand unique item and click on the table.
8 ) **Select the proper wand motion that the research told you to do. For instance Lumos I think might have been circular. It will only work with the RIGHT wand motion.
9) Click it and then *Success* Will appear above you.
10) Repeat for each spell.

Hope this helps somebody out there. I am still unable to figure out the potions. If anybody knows it would be great to get some tips. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New Curriculum for Dummies.
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:27 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Confirmed: You can do multiple assignments at a time. (I would just write down what the proper wand motions and incantations are.)
Confirmed: You can actually use the Essay desks in the library to do assignments. Note that there are some assignments that only work on a scribing table.

In order to do the potion portion of the homework you must Scourgify! your cauldron before use. Learn the spell first. The set up is very similiar to the spells, just following the instructions. Note that it will say *success* if done right and explode if you did something wrong.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:57 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Update: Regarding the 'Sleep' spell. You must use the unique power of the valerian root mix in a bath. There are some in the dorms and there are some in the bathrooms. You have to physically wait on the server for the 24 hour cycle in order for this to work. You can't log out or it will reset (trust me I have tried several times.) It is approximately 7 hours in real life time. There are other element involved that I am not sure of, like when you can actually use the root mix. I used it at Hour 22 just because it stats before bed.

Anyways, hopes this helps!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:55 am 
Game Master
Game Master

ChanceFerrin wrote:
Update: Regarding the 'Sleep' spell. You must use the unique power of the valerian root mix in a bath. There are some in the dorms and there are some in the bathrooms. You have to physically wait on the server for the 24 hour cycle in order for this to work. You can't log out or it will reset (trust me I have tried several times.) It is approximately 7 hours in real life time. There are other element involved that I am not sure of, like when you can actually use the root mix. I used it at Hour 22 just because it stats before bed.

Anyways, hopes this helps!

:|

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:48 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

ChanceFerrin wrote:
You have to physically wait on the server for the 24 hour cycle in order for this to work. You can't log out or it will reset (trust me I have tried several times.) It is approximately 7 hours in real life time.

This isn't true. I did not stay on the server for 8 hours after I made the craft on Sam, and I could finish the spell the next day. You may have done something differently, or been using a different bath(it's possible calan missed one zone or something), but you do not have to be logged in for the timer to expire. You merely have to wait for 8 RL hours for the IC clock to circle around, and then finish it the next time you're online.

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:33 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Yendys wrote:
This isn't true. I did not stay on the server for 8 hours after I made the craft on Sam, and I could finish the spell the next day. You may have done something differently, or been using a different bath(it's possible calan missed one zone or something), but you do not have to be logged in for the timer to expire. You merely have to wait for 8 RL hours for the IC clock to circle around, and then finish it the next time you're online.

Hrm that could be the case. The Valerian Root said it worked everytime I used it in a bath. So I am not understanding why it worked for you and not me. The only thing I changed from the three previous times was the 24 hour clock and it worked.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:37 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Key tip for getting the homework completed: Stop thinking about it as an OOC process, as much as possible, and actually RP what's said in the homework. While there's always "OOC-ish" steps you'll need to take, such as "place item X into the cauldron object," -thinking- about it in an IC manner will help tremendously. That's the whole point of this system, to be as not-OOC as possible, within the limits of NWN. There is no amount of scripting I could do to make RP a requirement, but "IC-ing" the homework in your head will help a lot in figuring out how to do it. RP while you're doing homework. Given where the server has been in the past, that's a new concept, I know.

Example: Sleep spell says sleep for a night. So, RP it, and it would work. Don't think of it as a set of OOC hoops, but rather something that you can actually get RP out of. I can't script RP, so that's up to you.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:33 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Calan wrote:
Example: Sleep spell says sleep for a night. So, RP it, and it would work.

But the school is full of insomniacs! D:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:49 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Sleep is for the weak!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:33 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Sounds like yet another good RP opportunity. "I am trying to make the sleep spell, but it's not working." "Well, did you take that bath, and sleep through the night?" "No, I don't sleep." "Looks like you're going to fail this year."

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:51 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Ok since my last post apparently gave the impression I was suggesting solo RP of snoring away in a bed for several hours....

How to RP sleep:

Step 1: RP that it's late at night. Generally this is done at curfew.
Step 2: RP during curfew. This helps if people don't curfew log, including yourself.
Step 3: RP that your character just made this wonderful Valerian Root Satchel that they can't wait to try, because sleep is awesome. Or that they doubt it will work because they are an insomniac.
Step 4: RP other things as well during curfew.
Step 5: Around 4:59 IG time, have your character state that they are getting tired and they are going to go try out their wonderful new satchel so they can write their report.
Step 6: Walk out of the room to send your character to bed, then head straight to breakfast and RP the next morning, talking about how wonderful the sleep was and they now can combat their insomnia.
Step 7: RP writing a report. Talk about it IC.

There, sleep has been RPd, and so was the homework.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:09 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Hahahahaja, Chance, Drogo probably kept stealing your roots.

Board index » General » Out of Character