WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Out of Character

Post subject: Current Portraits
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:32 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

The entire Portrait pack is a massive behemoth that takes up a lot of room (and forces you to scroll endlessly when making a new char).

Is it possible to make a list of current chars only, so we can pick out the portraits that are actually still being used? 90% of the Portrait pack are people I haven't seen in ages or have never heard of.

I'm not asking that the Portrait pack be redone at all. I'm just thinking that people could post the chars that they're currently playing here and then anyone who wants to can cut down on the amount of portraits that they need.

The only char of mine who's current (and didn't miss the cut off for the recent PP update) is Anastasia McLaren.

Post subject: Re: Current Portraits
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:24 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I tried making a new character recently and my game crashed every time I got to the portraits. :D I ended up deleting 1710 portraits, and now it works fine again (none of them from HP). The portrait pack really isn't that bad.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:59 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

You can always manually prune character portraits who you haven't seen in years(or who you don't even know who they are) if you're having trouble with that screen. It would be pretty difficult to determine who's active vs inactive, and it would take a lot of work of constantly updating the "active" portrait pack to make it reflect that list, so it's not really a practical solution to do from this end. For what it's worth, I've never had trouble - all of my base nwn portraits sort to the front of the list, and I just pick one of those when I create the character, then activate the custom portrait through the /e command in game(I make my own character portrait, so I don't have to wait for the pack to update).

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:38 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

it would actually be possible to set up a "script" (presumably via NWNX) that detects characters logging in, then checking if those character have a custom portrait. Then you have the portraits in a database of some kind and a download link which enables you to only download the latest used portraits. It's possible, but probably more work than anyone's willing to do, considering the rather minimal payout in the end (cough cough Calan, since he's the only one with the necessary access as far as I'm aware).

The only real benefit, in the longer term, would be that each individual player would have an easier time uploading their own portraits to this database (or whatever it'd be called, I'm not a coder). That'd save time for Melissa and anyone else who updates the pack, but at the same time the pack is also likely to get bigger overall.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:52 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Have you seen the to-do list? We still have no way for people to request RP points for RP that DMs didn't witness(other than tracking down a DM and badgering them for it, which doesn't help if your RP partner logged out by that time), something that's been needed(and planned out!) since the big update went in. There's also the CEP stuff, and the ongoing issues with owls eating messages(leading to RP being lost, if you happened to send an offline owl). There's pretty much no way anything of that scale(constructing a database) is any sort of priority right now, when there's an easy fix(go to folder, delete filenames that you don't recognize, only download the "update" pack from now on, win) for those who are effected.

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:50 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Noone listened to me say that I wasn't saying change the Portrait pack at all. XD I'm aware that there are far more important things to do.

What I said was that maybe people could post their current chars here and I could make up a list to put in the first post, so people could manually edit their portraits if they wanted to. Buuuuut, noone did that, so ...

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:00 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

You're right, critical failure at reading your post on my part. Sorry about that. :P

I'd just go by "if I don't know their name, and they're not on the front page of character bios, they get the boot." You can always keep the removed portraits in a backup folder, in case you need to add any back in.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:24 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Yendys wrote:
You're right, critical failure at reading your post on my part. Sorry about that. :P

I'd just go by "if I don't know their name, and they're not on the front page of character bios, they get the boot." You can always keep the removed portraits in a backup folder, in case you need to add any back in.

Damn ones lol. Yeah, that's probably the best thing to do.

Board index » General » Out of Character