WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Server » The Daily Prophet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: OOC -- A group to 'year' together...
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:37 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

I dont think the rolling so much needs to happen, but I just think it would add a certain amount of fun if the player had as much worry about their house as the character. Perhaps we don't need to go into these characters with as many expectations and pre-determined ideas as we've done in the past. I think it would be a nice challenge for people to get to make up a lot of that as they go along, much like the character would.

Shifty are the eyes of the gambler...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:45 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

The Hat used to function that way on it's own—randomly, that is. We changed it for good reason. I'd be very opposed to leaving House sorting up to dice.

However, it could be fun for everyone to submit a brief bio and statement of intent along with their character's hopes, if any, for getting into a certain House. And then we could actually sort everyone before the event and surprise those who are interested in being surprised.

We will not give an official ETA for the new curriculum launch, except to say hopefully soon(TM)!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:55 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

@Fear ::

I agree to that completely, but there are different levels of pre-determination. I don't mean to think of everything, but at the same time a little bit wouldn't hurt. It all depends on how you want to do it really. :) When it came to Kris I pretty much came up with everything as I went along, family, backstory, etc. So, when I decided to create a new character (Who turned out to be Veronica,) I wanted to put more thought into it, because there was something about Kris that has always bugged me.

To give a quick summary of my walkthrough on how I created her (or what I have of her so far) I started with a simple concept of... well, nothing. I decided I wanted to play someone away from the way Kris is, so I considered a somewhat 'dark' character, like a Joki or Zane vM. Now, you can argue that Kris can be a bit dark, but that's not the point... so to conitnue... it started out rather slow, but when I layed down for bed one night I got a series of inspirational thoughts that led to this pureblooded witch (who I originally layed out as a wizard, but she changed my mind!) who comes from a rather poor family.

I would go into it more but I'd like to leave her backstory very FOIG. I also have a feel for which classes she may be interested in, and those she won't, along with possible things she may do or study based on the original concept and her developing personality in my mind. For me it's pretty much like another person evolving inside my head, which I assume is how it is with most people and their characters. But ultimately, I leave it all open, and I allow it to change. I never set anything in stone unless the character does and allow open influence from whoever she may meet.

One last point, that I may or may not have touched upon... I feel it a little necessary to at least have a general personality, or else we may play our characters too much like ourselves. How else are we to know who or what they would like? How they would get along with fellow classmates, etc. :)

@JB: That could be a fun idea. =] And hopefully soon, eh? ;)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

JBMT wrote:
The Hat used to function that way on it's own—randomly, that is. We changed it for good reason. I'd be very opposed to leaving House sorting up to dice.

However, it could be fun for everyone to submit a brief bio and statement of intent along with their character's hopes, if any, for getting into a certain House. And then we could actually sort everyone before the event and surprise those who are interested in being surprised.

We will not give an official ETA for the new curriculum launch, except to say hopefully soon(TM)!

in this case can i still use Charlotte & just 'rebuild' her? all thats been done is shes been sorted but i think id rather have a random sorting

Shilo Carter - first year

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:28 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Of course you could! I think that would be a great idea.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:35 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

I think that's awesome! And so much more like a "real" Hogwart's experience. Yayy!

(Jennie-Bear plays Samantha Hathaway, seventh-year Hufflepuff)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:58 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Jennie-Bear wrote:
I think that's awesome! And so much more like a "real" Hogwart's experience. Yayy!

so if we say um forgive me what date was the first day of school?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:45 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

We don't know yet. I propose beginning Sept. 1 like Hogwarts does in the books, and going with the current curriculum. Just because I think it's an awesome idea, and Sept 1 is just a few weeks away, giving us time to plan and prep.

Some folks would like to wait for the new curriculum to be in place. The new curriculum, from what I understand, may be added in on a year-by-year basis and of course, would affect the whole server, not just our group. I also think it's gonna be quite some time before the new curriculum is in effect, even in it's beginner stages. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. I DO know it's being worked on by a bunch of hard-working people, and no one should expect them to rush on a major project like that. :-)

So I guess it's a group decision. Depends on when you wanna start and what curriculum you wanna go with. We'll experience the new curriculum sooner or later, at the same time the rest of the server does. Personally, I'm all for Sept 1 and going with the current curriculum! I'm excited about the Hogwarts Express and the Sorting Ceremony. Group discussion, though, is what this thread's for. :-) Ideas?

(Jennie-Bear plays Samantha Hathaway, seventh-year Hufflepuff)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:46 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Term for Hogwarts begins on September 1st. Always that time.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Lol... I hate to sound stubborn but I'm rather set on waiting, with no plans on rushing it at all. ^^; I guess depending on what everyone else wants to do I could always come up with another character for this... *Shrugs.* I just think the new curriculum will make the RP all the better.

Another thing we have to decide is how long between years we wait. (Depending on how the new curriculum works, too, but for now we can still think about it.) At first when I started this characters idea I was thinking at least 3 months, and then the more I thought about it that is a rather short period of time and something more like 6+ would seem cooler and less year-rushy.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 am 
Game Master
Game Master

No offense meant in the least man, but I'm thinking you might want two different characters here. Correct me if I'm wrong everyone, please (I often am! :D), but I can't see many people looking to be involved in this who would want to go 6+ months between years. Now, this is coming from someone who's done nearly that! Sometimes. But I think 2-3 months between years is much more reasonable for a project like this.

Just a thought, and again, not ragging on you at all, but maybe make one character for this project and one for the new curriculum? Both would be very fun in their own ways, and let you try different things, I think.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:58 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Seems like that may be the best idea, Fear. Lol. To me 3 months just doesn't seem like enough, after playing Kris again... the time just goes by so fast, and it could allow for some nice events/RP progression. :P

But yeah, based on how everyones talking that wants to be involved it seems I"ll have yet another character on my list... XD

Edit :: Also, I don't necessarily think there should be a strict schedule on the amount of time between each year. It should be generally agreed upon by everyone when we all go to do it. =]

Edit 2 :: So I'm pretty sure I've decided to make a totally different character for this, but we still need to work on a lot and figure it all out. :) Go go gadget ideas!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Jennie-Bear wrote:
We don't know yet. I propose beginning Sept. 1 like Hogwarts does in the books, and going with the current curriculum. Just because I think it's an awesome idea, and Sept 1 is just a few weeks away, giving us time to plan and prep.

i think given the different timezones we all start to arrive at hogwart from the 1st of sept to the 4th (just cause of the time zones & just have it roleplayed we started together)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:13 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

The whole point is to do it together, otherwise this is kind of a wasted effort.

Πάνω απ 'όλα, φύλακας καρδιά σου, επειδή είναι η ανεξάντλητη πηγή της ζωής. Παροιμίες 4:23

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:29 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

well say 1st of Sept/2nd because of different time zones. heck if i started on the 1st here id be starting the 31st of august in the states. get what i mean? besides if you chose it to be say such & such a time some will miss out.
the 1st in the states (2nd here) is a Wednesday which is fine for me but it may not be for others who work & go to school or have kids to look after get what i mean hun?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next

Board index » Server » The Daily Prophet