WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Server » The Room of Requirements

Post subject: Skills
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:11 pm 
Are there any particular skills or feats for that matter that should be avoided for this mod? It seems to me trap related skills are pretty pointless and with most PWs Persuade is most likely useless. Likewise if there are no healing kits Heal would be a poor choice. Any information would be appreciated though I guess I could always hold off on skill points until I see a chance for a skill to be used.

Not that in reality you don't have skills you don't use regularly its just that I've always found NWN's system to be unforgiving and often find myself regreting many of my early choices as I gain levels.

<edit spelling>

Last edited by NeoMandalore on Wed May 21, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:23 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

NPC interactions skills are a waste of skill points (persuade, intimidate, etc.)
You can still put points in the trap skills and heal skill and whatever other unique skill (except craft 'item' skills).

Healing kits are in the game but only are +1 Healing kits and sold by a merchant in Pinboria.

As far as traps go. There are plenty of traps in this mod but you'll need the "Disable Trap" skill to acquire them. So if you want to build a 'trapper' student then go ahead. There are already a couple that I know of on the server.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:31 pm 
I see. Thank you.

Wonderful avatar btw.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:32 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Overall, I suggest Concentration and Spellcraft as two that you should get. Unless you want to be utterly crippled in some aspects, that is. Other than that...it's really just up to you.

Edit: Lore is, also, useful. Some people don't get it though, and just use the merchants to identify items.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:42 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

D_Black wrote:
As far as traps go. There are plenty of traps in this mod but you'll need the "Disable Trap" skill to acquire them.

Wait...there are traps you can buy in the mod? 8O
And you can only get them by having points in Disable Trap?

I wish I had known that earlier.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:44 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Pein wrote:
Overall, I suggest Concentration and Spellcraft as two that you should get. Unless you want to be utterly crippled in some aspects, that is. Other than that...it's really just up to you.

Edit: Lore is, also, useful. Some people don't get it though, and just use the merchants to identify items.

Concentration is good.

Spellcraft is good to have. Commonly used to identify spells being casted ((if you've played NWN long enough you know what is being casted just by the casting animation and the sounds made during casting)) but lately spellcraft has been used in RPed classes with our latest DM, Captain Morgan aka Zane Von Mecklenburg. ((I probably messed up his PC's last name))

As for lore, its up to you. Could be handy or a waste of skill points. Just examine the item and know its function or go to a merchant and pay 100gp (5gp if you know where to look) to have something examined.

Seril_Kane wrote:
D_Black wrote:
As far as traps go. There are plenty of traps in this mod but you'll need the "Disable Trap" skill to acquire them.

Wait...there are traps you can buy in the mod? 8O
And you can only get them by having points in Disable Trap?

I wish I had known that earlier.

...and no, there are no trap merchants IG. Though that has been suggested to the mod squad; along with a trap wand scroll. Also you apparently misread what I wrote. There are plenty of traps IG unless someone casts "Find Traps" on them. Also with plenty of of points in the "Disable Trap" skill you can recover those traps and reset them where ever you want. :P

Last edited by D_Black on Wed May 21, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:49 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

D_Black wrote:
Pein wrote:

Concentration is good.

Spellcraft is good to have. Commonly used to identify spells being casted ((if you've played NWN long enough you know what is being casted just by the casting animation and the sounds made during casting)) but lately spellcraft has been used in RPed classes with our latest DM, Captain Morgan aka Zane Von Mecklenburg. ((I probably messed up his PC's last name))

As for lore, its up to you. Could be handy or a waste of skill points. Just examine the item and know its function or go to a merchant and pay 100gp (5gp if you know where to look) to have something examined.

Mecklenberg.

Also, don't take lore if it isn't a class skill. It's a waste of skill points at that point, especially considering you can ID them at a shop. I took lore /only/ because it was a class skill, and I had points to spare.

Again, it's mostly up to you, but I /do/ suggest Concentration or/and Spellcraft due to the uses in classes.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:50 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Yes, you can get several traps around the mod, several more powerful then the others, through the disable trap skill. You have to find them and 'recover' them. One of my characters, Sofya, has a lot of fun doing that. :P

But yes, Spellcraft and Concentration are really really handy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:56 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Pein wrote:
Also, don't take lore if it isn't a class skill. It's a waste of skill points at that point, especially considering you can ID them at a shop.

The skill 'Lore' is available to all classes; including the melee classes. Which are forbidden on this server unless you have a very good RP reason to have a level or two of a melee class.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:02 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

D_Black wrote:
Pein wrote:
Also, don't take lore if it isn't a class skill. It's a waste of skill points at that point, especially considering you can ID them at a shop.

The skill 'Lore' is available to all classes; including the melee classes. Which are forbidden on this server unless you have a very good RP reason to have a level or two of a melee class.

*Shrugs* I don't pay attention to whether it is or not, and most of my characters are Wizards/Sorcerers, so...yeah. :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:03 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

For a long time now, we have discussed the opportunities for and problems with the utilization of NWN skills. We have talked about correlations between skills and class subjects, even. If it could be done (without a HAK), we'd have renamed the skills long ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trend of using certain skills for classes and events continues and develops further. Bearing that in mind, I'd select skills based on character and RP, rather than thinking of them in traditional NWN PC-build options.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:05 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

*nods* Which most of us do... Or I would like to think most of us select our feats and skills depending on how we RP our characters. >_>

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:28 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

D_Black, unless you RP your character knowing the difference between PCs and NPCs, you may have contradicted yourself or missed my point.

Even the crafting skills have RP value, in theory, even during periods where we have had crafting disabled. At least one PC (Gabrella) was "built" around the idea of being interested in clothing design, and even went on to own her own shop in Paris after graduation.

Lore, it seems to me, is a no-brainer for any student at Hogwarts who pays any attention at all in classes. It has nothing to do with whether or not one wants to be able to identify items in the NWN sense. It just makes sense in HP/RP terms.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:29 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

D_Black wrote:
NPC interactions skills are a waste of skill points (persuade, intimidate, etc.)
You can still put points in the trap skills and heal skill and whatever other unique skill (except craft 'item' skills).

Healing kits are in the game but only are +1 Healing kits and sold by a merchant in Pinboria.

As far as traps go. There are plenty of traps in this mod but you'll need the "Disable Trap" skill to acquire them. So if you want to build a 'trapper' student then go ahead. There are already a couple that I know of on the server.

Personally I have Bluff for a character. I've had a chance to use it, too, in RP. But I forgot. Next time!

And.. there're healing kits +1 for sale in Egypt aswell. *Nods.*

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:33 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

JBMT wrote:
Lore, it seems to me, is a no-brainer for any student at Hogwarts who pays any attention at all in classes.

I would actually think Concentration would be more suited to that, JB, but that's just me. :P

But yeah, I agree with you there. I build the attributes around what the Character is like, as well.((Even had to remake a character, due to attributes not being spot on perfect for the character.))

Board index » Server » The Room of Requirements