WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Server » The Room of Requirements

Post subject: Race?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:34 pm 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

hi i am new and having a rough time getting started. is there race restrictions? i seen a post saying no wolfs. but what about the dwarfs and the elfs and orcs? im also having other issues but i will plop them in the right forum areas.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:38 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Im not certain but i believe Dwarfs and Orcs are allowed. I know that Elves are allowed but they still have to be RP'd as Human. The no wolf refers to the summon because i think all the NPCs used to attack them on sight.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:40 pm 
Forum Third Year
Forum Third Year

cool thanks for the info!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:39 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Starting PCs are human kids at Hogwarts. Some start out as halflings and other smaller races in order to seem more like little kids at first, and then "grow up" into other skins at later years. We've had dwarves and orcs before, which is fine if you don't mind playing a big, ugly kid.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:24 pm 
Forum Fourth Year
Forum Fourth Year

What the builders should do is, start out with a Halfing skin, then go gnome, drawf, elf, and then human throughout the years. This way it is easier to see what year everyone is about. It is kinda funny walking around Priggo while being twice his height.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:44 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Priggo is -supposed- to be short >.>
It's his character.

He's ... 3'2" I think.
And about 30lbs.

It's got nothing to do with his year >.>

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:45 pm 
Forum Troll King

Priggo is not a halfling, nor is his height a reflection of his age.

I chose the halfling build for a reason.

Felien is correct, he's 3'2 and 29lbs. So if you think it's comical, good,
because that's how big he actually is. >.<

As for the others, you'd have to ask them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:26 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Priggo is, however, an exception to the design the builders have been working on for years, because he is abnormally small by any measure. We have always encouraged players to start out with smaller skins and then "grow up" into larger ones as they progress through the years.

In New Rise, one of Sho's early projects intending to revise and improve upon the original hosted version of the mod, I believe halfling skins were going to be required for all students. As recently as a few weeks ago, Kaz was experimenting with scripting to change PC appearance to make all lower-year students smaller. Kaz and I discussed having First and Second Years being halfling, Third and Fourth Years being elves, and Fifth and up being human sized, while the normal appearances which were smaller would override the growing up so that players like Priggo, Drado, From, and others could choose to remain small, if they so wished. That scripting experiment didn't pan out.

There have been many visual inconsistencies created by random skin choices--more than just giant, First Year humans towering over ancient, tiny Priggo. We have also had Sixth and Seventh Years hitting on, or dating First and Second Years. Now, I don't know about everyone's schools, but that would not have been at all cool or socially acceptable where I grew up. A visual distinction in size might reinforce the difference in age, and, we have always hoped, enhance role play.

I still encourage anyone who is interested to follow this plan. I have in the past helped many players rebuild their characters to take them through the traditional "growing up" process. I will gladly Leto any characters to facilitate players' intentions to do so.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:37 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

Well, as for the hitting on first and second years part... age is a very... fluctuating thing on this mod, one year someone can be a 7th year, while a first year comes in, then a week or so later depending on how fast they work, the other is 7th year.. thus the 'same age' by technicality.

Now, that doesn't mean you should hit on lower years because they'll sooner or later reach you, but yeah... *Coughs, waiting for Priggo to call him a cradle-robber again.*

But eh, yeah... you already have my opinion in some thread about the whole halfling bit. Granted, I base it off of the technical size of halflings, and that doesn't necessarily have to hold true. But, eh, yeah... *shrugs.*

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:28 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

You're right about fast progress and fluctuating differences in PC ages, Zach. We had hoped to address that with the new curriculum redeployment.

And as far as halflings go, there are none in HP. Priggo is a mutant. We've only hoped in the past for some relative visual cues as to PC age, with what NWN gives us.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:30 am 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

I know.. I meant the model is "halfling" thus would be the height of said non-existent creature.

Edit: I thought I'd add something.. >_>;

My school is 7-12.. and, well, the 7th graders seem shorter every year.

So I guess this -does- have a valid point after further thought. XD

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:51 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Hmm.... perhaps if people can't seem to fathom being short for a while as they work... and to not conflict with those who are supposed to be short.

Maybe have specific robes for each year.
Robes could be handed out much like the curriculum is, which is year-sensitive, to avoid people buying higher year robes, just to look cool.

Of course, you'd have to make sure people didn't try and edit the looks to make them higher year, either.

...But it's just a thought :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:25 am 
Forum Fourth Year
Forum Fourth Year

Quote:
We have also had Sixth and Seventh Years hitting on, or dating First and Second Years.

As a second year, I think I've hitted on a couple of seventh years before. It's funny, but also kinda embarrasing.

As for it being socially acceptable, at my school a sixth year went out with a third year, and a seventh year went out with a second year!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:44 pm 
Forum First Year
Forum First Year

Alex_May wrote:
Quote:
We have also had Sixth and Seventh Years hitting on, or dating First and Second Years.

As a second year, I think I've hitted on a couple of seventh years before. It's funny, but also kinda embarrasing.

As for it being socially acceptable, at my school a sixth year went out with a third year, and a seventh year went out with a second year!

isnt that a little like cradle robbing?

i mean seriously, 5 years is ok.. when your like 25 and 30, but thats like an 17 year old going out with a 12 year old.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:20 am 
Forum Fourth Year
Forum Fourth Year

Well, I don't think they last very long. I do know the second year was 13 at the time though.

Board index » Server » The Room of Requirements