WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Announcements

Post subject: Server is back online!
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:30 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

The full server is back online! The temp server has been taken down, and the real server is now in its place, no password. All character files (including wand spells, character year, etc) should be back as they were before. (Thank you Nik for the files, and thank you for providing a home for the Harry Potter server for the past 8 months!) Also as a bonus, JB has provided the servervault from when he hosted as well so old characters are now back! (Thanks JB!)

Direct Connect remains "server.wohp.net".

Hopefully all will go well, but don't be surprised at a few glitches. If anything isn't working, please let me know.

IMPORTANT NOTE ON OLD CHARACTERS:

Characters from before Nik hosted do -not- have database entries. DO NOT enter the module through the statue, or you will lose all of your inventory. Instead go through the door to the right and go directly to get sorted. Once sorted, that character can then enter the module using the statue. Rebuilding these old characters is the responsibility of the players, but feel free to RP that they are in the year they were when they left off. This does -not- apply to characters that were created during Nik's host.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:32 am 
Game Master
Game Master

On that note, if anyone knows people who thinks the server and forums are gone, spread the word around and redirect them to here at www.wohp.net

It is a real shame the forums went down during this chaotic time, but we are alive and kicking, everything is how it is before the server went down, no one has lost anything, everything is intact. The server can be found in Role play.

Let me know if there is any problems, I should be around most of the time to help with any issues.

*Goes to finally get some well deserved sleep*

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:34 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

I have a little hint.. first import the ones you got from Jb, then the ones you got from nik, cause now it override's the new chars with the old ones.. :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:59 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Ray wrote:
I have a little hint.. first import the ones you got from Jb, then the ones you got from nik, cause now it override's the new chars with the old ones.. :P

That's what I did, characters from JB's server should have been overwritten by characters from Nik's server. Is this not the case? *gets ready to curse Windows*

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Last edited by Calan on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:31 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

For me it isnt, two of my chars have gone back to how they were in JB's server instead of Nik's

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:43 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

I checked several accounts at random, including yours, and this problem has something to do with how the characters were imported to Nik's server, causing them to not properly overwrite the old files. I will attempt to sort this out, but it is entirely possible that there will be a few side effects. There are a few possibilities:

-The entire server vault may be reverted, which means all changes to characters, or new characters, for the last day will be lost.

-Only the accounts this is affecting will be reverted.

-I'll fix them manually when I get a report from a player that this has happened.

I'll look into all three of these options and let everyone know which I am going with later on tonight.

Sorry about the glitch!

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:25 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Not trying to make it hard on Host or anything but I also have a few problems, nothing to major, but I have about 6 or so extra chars that I have not played in ages :? And characters that I didn't even know still existed.... ( Vladimir Ashby for example, No No No)...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:15 pm 
Forum Second Year
Forum Second Year

Location: Oh wouldn't you like to know? Mister crazy STALKER...
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, but...

Is the server up right now? I checked, and all I see is Harry Potter 2? Which I believe is the "sister server". But perhaps my computer is just being lame? :roll:

Thanks bunches!

~MS~

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:16 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

If you do a full server revert, could we give you our exported files so those with out problems don't lose any progress if we made any?

I don't want to lose any 7th year progress that I've done. :(
For those who are 7th year, you should understand the pain.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:48 pm 
Azkaban Warden
Azkaban Warden

MShadows wrote:
Is the server up right now? I checked, and all I see is Harry Potter 2?

Yes, the server is up right now.
Hmm...odd that you can't find it. Have you tried Direct Connecting?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:41 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

*shakes head at all this complains* First what the problem in having some extra chars around? just play the ones you like to play and thats it. Other a full server revert? only a few have problem, those should get fixed manualy, a rever would affect all players, and would have to make a full distribution of wand spells and such to all players, and thats a pain.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:07 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

By "revert" I mean "revert to yesterday's settings" not "reset." The only things that would be lost is inventory changes and XP changes for the last day. Any changes to wand spells will be remembered. My biggest worry would be new characters created over the last day, but I think I can retain those if a full revert is required.

I spent a long time trying to figure our the best way to do this, and I am going to attempt a script that will automatically correct the affected characters. So hopefully there will not be a server-wide revert to yesterday's settings. The server will need to be down briefly while this script runs.

If the script is successful, the affected characters will be current. It will be -likely- that a few still won't work, and if that's the case I'll fix those manually upon request. I am also happy to delete any old characters that you don't want cluttering your account, just send me a PM with the subject "Character Delete" with the characters you want deleted, and your account name.

If the script is unsuccessful, it is likely that I will need to revert the entire servervault, and I will not attempt a merge with the older characters if that's the case. If this happens, I will be happy to import your old characters manually upon request for those who want them.

It will be another hour to three hours from the time of this post before I can attempt the script.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:52 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Ok, I just talked to a bunch of players who appeared to have this problem from looking at the vault files, and they are not reporting any issues. The good news is that I think the best thing is to go with plan C, which is do nothing to the vault, and fix any issues on request. This is apparently not as wide-spread as I had thought. So Ray, I'll manually fix your account right away, and if anyone else is seeing this issue please let me know. If it ends up that it is more wide-spread, I may have to go back to plan A or B with the automated script.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:14 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

If you notice that your character is an old version back from JB's host, -please- feel free to ask me to switch it back to the more recent version. The recent versions are not lost, but because of file name issues the wrong character file bay be used by the server. If this is happening to you -let me know- because it takes me about a minute to fix your account. All I need to know is the account name and the character name(s), I won't need a bic file.

I do have to do this on request though, because I just don't have the time to examine 4000 accounts one by one.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Board index » General » Announcements