WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Announcements

Post subject: New Main Plot
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:27 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

In the coming weeks, the DM team will be kicking off a new main plot. This plot will come with several changes to the server, including a major change to how the curriculum works, and changes to how the server operates. Please read this post in its entirety as what's said here is important.

Here's the gist of the changes: Yearing up will now be accomplished based on RP, rather than based on crafting. Each year, you will gain some core spells for your character, that will be automatic. To year up, you will need to "cash in" RP points which are handed out in classes, events, and non-DM'd RP that you are doing with other PCs. RP points can also be cashed in for various extracurricular spells. There will be general RP points, as well as RP points handed out for various specific topics like Ancient Runes or Transfiguration. Sometimes an extracurricular spell will require such points. (You can think of RP points sort of like XP)

Now on to the coming plot. I am giving an announcement about this, because I believe it would be a good idea in general for people to year up their characters if they wish to have the most participation in this plot. We will strive to include everyone, but in general it's simply easier for higher years to participate in this one.

Before jumping straight into participation, please understand that your PC is not guaranteed safety. While the DM team will not simply randomly kill off your character, you have our word, if your character puts himself or herself into a dangerous situation safety is not guaranteed. Now before running off and hiding to keep your character safe, understand that the reward is RP points, and RP itself as your character participates. They just need to be smart about it, that's all.

Before the plot begins, in addition to yearing up to a point you are comfortable with, please go out of your way to engage in RP with other students. This sort of interaction being fresh and recent with your PC will be very important as the plot begins. Don't wait for it to start, get the RP flowing in advance. Once the plot starts it's too late. RPing now, just amongst other students, is important now.

A few things that will help:

-Log in and make yourself available, even if no one else is. Chances are that everyone else also isn't logging in, or hiding in the commons/AFK room/some corner of the server because no one is available. Be available, and don't hide in the AFK room. If that's "what my character would be doing," time bubble it and imply that RP and move on to something that might be interactive.

-Go IC. Just because the people that are on aren't your typical RP buddies is no reason to hide your character. In fact, it's reason not to. RP with random people is just as important (arguably more important) as RP with your typical RP partner(s).

-Initiate RP. This doesn't mean your character has to do anything to initiate, it means that you need to engage the RP. Emote something, even if it's emoting that your character is doing nothing. Emote where they are looking, what they are doing with the book they are reading, that they had an itch on their forehead. Type -something- and type something often. Anything that would be seen by others around you should be emoted in talk channel. Even if you're in hushed conversation, OOCly engage others by emoting -something- in talk channel now and then.

-Turn off the distractions. Browsing the web or watching TV while no one is around is fine, but once someone is around please have enough respect not only for them but also for your own character to turn off the browser or other distraction. If someone is doing this to you, politely ask them to stop rather than joining in on the bad habit. If possible, run your NWN full screen and simply refrain from tabbing out. RPing distracted not only affects response time, it also affects how in character you are. Thing is that most people don't even realize how much it is really affecting them.

-Be here to RP. Make RP itself the reason you are here.

I would like to challenge everyone to take these into consideration as we head into the upcoming plot, I believe that it will greatly improve the experience.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post subject: Re: New Main Plot
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:53 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

I'm never sure if you're allowed to post questions on announcements, so sorry if you aren't.

I'm a little confused as to what is happening with the curriculum. Does this mean that the one that's been being worked on for the past several months is not being continued now, or is it part of the new stuff you're talking about?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

A different system. This one is going to be purely based on rp, earning tokens or some similar thing that allow you to year up, or cash them in for extracurricular studies(at least that's the intent, as I understand it). You'll get "core spells" for free as you year up, so we won't be stuck with the problem of 4th and 5th years only having a few firstie spells.

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:30 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Charity wrote:
...the one that's been being worked on for the past several months...

It's actually more like the past several years. The way the server work has changed, as have the dynamics of the player base. This system should work better, and be actually possible to complete.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:33 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Calan wrote:
The way the server work has changed, as have the dynamics of the player base.

I haven't been on lately; how exactly have things changed?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:57 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

I'm talking about long term change. The way things once were isn't how things are now, this is just a part of the process of keeping things up to date. The curriculum changes that had been planned were part of a years old plan that has come to be out of date.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:18 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Hmm, having to RP to "year up" guess anti-social maniacs are going to have to learn to be social, I like it.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:52 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

RP does not equal social, or the other way around. But this -is- an RP server.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:08 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Oh it is.... What am I doing here then :P

I really thought it was a kill everything in sight cause I am going to be king of server by dinner time server.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:28 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

PirenBlackheart wrote:
I really thought it was a kill everything in sight cause I am going to be king of server by dinner time server.

I remember getting booted by McGonagall because I just had to click on that to see what happened. XD

Are there many people on at different time zones? Finding people to RP with was always my problem.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:47 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

There's usually been a decent number of people online from about 10-11 PM my time, lasting for 3-4 hours, at least on event nights. That's 12 hours from the time of this post, roughly. May or may not work out for you, but I know I've seen you on late at night before.

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:20 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Charity wrote:
Are there many people on at different time zones? Finding people to RP with was always my problem.

It true that off-peak time zones have a tougher time of it, but my advice is still the same:

The surest way to make sure no one will be on is to not log in. I know several people have been complaining about this, yet I know only one of them that actually logs in during off-peak time zones. Instead of waiting for people to be available, be available yourself for other people. No one will ever be available for RP if no one ever makes themselves available for RP.

Also, when you're looking for RP and there's no one around, it never hurts to hit up Facebook or Skype and ask if anyone is interested in some RP. Tell them that your character would have sent theirs an owl, or if that wouldn't work just ask them OOC.

Also, while I have never had an issue with cliques and couples happening IC, when the clique or couple begins to form OOC as well that's an issue. That's been happening a lot lately, where people "see no RP potential" with anyone outside of their clique or couple. The best way to break this is to RP with -anyone- rather than waiting around for your buddy(ies). (Not saying you do that Charity, just saying it's been happening a lot)

In short, if you want RP: 1) Log in, and go IC, regardless of who is or isn't on. This makes -you- available. 2) There's nothing wrong with asking people who aren't currently on if they want to RP. 3) RP with anyone and everyone, refuse to be OOCly selective. (By RP, I don't mean make your anti-social character social, that's an IC issue. I mean interact, somehow.)

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:56 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Heh, nah my chars have never managed to get into a clique.

I didn't think of using Facebook. As long as it's okay to post RP pokes there then I might just do that!

Of course I have to get my [censored] back on first. I was kind of waiting for the curriculum to be complete, but I have no excuses anymore!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:08 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

ShalynArater and myself are usually on just about all day. We see the European players pop on and go to bed, and we see the American players pop on and go to bed. ShalynArater doesn't work and my work schedule gives me a lot of days off, so the two of us are nearly always logged in on the server.

The Basket Case - Drathil Vortec - Seventh Year

"Everybody prefers to see a nut - they're more fascinating." - Penn Jillette

Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:00 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Holy $*&!. After ages with no updates they're coming at an enormous rate of knots. XD

Board index » General » Announcements