WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Announcements

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Calan's RP Points
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

I've been thinking about starting a thread for a while, mostly to get everyone on the same page with some of the more obscure RP on the server. For example, how far can you apparate? How far can you floo? How long does it -really- take for an owl to travel? In addition I'll discuss some RP habits that I see on the server, both good and bad, in hopes to improve everyone's experience.

I'll actually start out with a rather long post because since I've been thinking about starting this for a while, there are several things to discuss! Mostly what I've already said above.

How long does it take for an owl to travel?
The current standard is nearly instantly. The RP is that owl magic is a lot stronger than it was in the books, that owls magically are "just there" when called, and while they do get tired from long flights, the flight is magically nearly instant to the wizards, but long for the owl. This RP is in place for two reasons. First because that's how the scripted owls work, and second because fast communications are needed to facilitate RP. However, as time goes on, this RP is feeling more and more outdated and may start to get phased out in favor of something more like what happens in the books. Time will tell. As an aside, owls can be intercepted, but they magically cannot be followed. Owl magic is inexplicable, even to the wizarding world.

How far can you apparate?
Apparation cannot happen over long distances. People apparate from Hogwarts to Egypt, but that's not what happens. They must apparate in much shorter jumps. To get to Egypt, it would likely take at least 10 jumps or so. This is usually implied and that's fine, but everyone should know that's what's happening. As such, apparation across the ocean is not possible.

How far can you floo?
The floo network is free to use, other than the cost of floo powder. Floo can happen over much greater distances, and in one jump. However- trans-Atlantic floo is not available freely, nor is it cheap. The floo network across the ocean is overcrowded, so you need to purchase special floo powder for the trip. The cost is akin to a trans-Atlantic airplane flight, only less TSA and much faster.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post subject: Re: Calan's RP Points
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:31 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

When you log into the server, or when your character walks into the room, you may see that your primary RP buddy is there. Or not, but for a moment, let's assume they are. Obviously, your character will seek them out, and that fine, because that's IC. However:

-Remember that when you are on the server, you are not there only to RP with the person you are immediately with, you're there to RP with everyone logged in.

-Remember that when your character is in a room full of people, but your character is in a hushed conversation with someone, that doesn't mean they are the only one you are RPing with. You are in fact actively RPing with everyone in the room. Engage everyone in the room with RP, even if that simply means emoting what your character is doing- or not doing.

As such, when you log in and don't see your RP buddy on, you might want to consider RPing with someone you don't usually RP with, or someone you think you have no RP with. You might be surprised how things turn out, and how much it might add to your own character. (By this, I don't necessarily mean your character should seek out the other person, I mean perhaps you should- with their OOC permission, and only in a way that is IC)

Along these same lines, While your character's significant other or best friend may be the most important RP to your character, to you as a player it's important to see all RP, even random encounters in the hall, as equally important to RP with your character's significant other or best friend. Even if it's not as important to your character.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » General » Announcements