WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Announcements

Post subject: General Announcement about access to DMs
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:26 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Perhaps I don't say this as much as I should, but it's been brought to my attention that it needs to be stated again (and mostly for our veteran players), so:

If you need help with your character's advancement in something that requires a DM, like advanced or custom magics or some non-standard RP, please speak with a DM. We'd be happy to help. No you aren't bothering us, it's why we are DMs. If something is taking too long, yes there's a possibility it slipped through the cracks, it's perfectly fine to ask about status once in a while, as reasonable. As long as it's not 3 times in one evening, you're probably fine.

The DMs have access to the DM channel even while on PC (in most cases- there are times that's not true like during plots and classes sometimes that's often shut off). Anyone at any time is -always- welcome to send something to the DM channel. If a DM is on, they will take care of it. If all the DMs are PC-side, we'll still take care of it with a ruling for you, or at least address the issue in any way we can at the time- we also don't want to be rude to the players we are RPing with. If it's urgent, we'll even skip out of our PC RP if/when possible to address it. In short, we encourage you to at least ask- and if we can't deal with whatever it is right then and there, we'll let you know. The only exception to this is if a DM's PC is directly involved in an incident, we make every attempt possible to use a different DM to DM anything for that incdent for "bias" reasons. We don't want DMs DMing for their own PCs for obvious reasons. And yes, this includes yours truly.

On learning spells: Most NWN spells take about a day to learn. If you're teaching a spells to a fellow PC, you don't need a DM involved in almost any case. Many wand spells (which need to come from a DM anyway) are more advanced and take longer to learn, if you have questions about any in particular ask a DM. The -only- thing we ask is that you RP actually teaching the spell, and RP practicing it before your character becomes proficient at it. A more comprehensive scripted "practice" is going in on the next update, so until then it's the honor system. We -encourage- player spell-teaching RP. That's why I force-scripted all characters to automatically have the Craft Scroll feat.

Lastly, on getting "DM approval" for something. This one I've quite honestly been pulling my hair out over for a long time. In general, you don't need DM approval. Just go RP. If you don't know the lore, either Harry Potter or the custom lore of this server that's developed on its own, or are worried that something may be over the line- please just ask so that you can then go RP. It is better to ask first if you can so that we don't have to retroactively adjust RP to make up for an error in lore and/or policy, but in general if it's not one of the pre-stated things that are no-nos (rape, murder, suicide, non-human characters, etc, which always, -always- need approval first and will likely be denied), just about everything else within reason doesn't need pre-approval. Just go RP. We can't see everything that's going on so we appreciate a communication with us so we can make sure that your RP is tracked in your super secret DM-side bio so that it can be honored later on by all DMs.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post subject: Re: General Announcement about access to DMs
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Calan wrote:
one of the pre-stated things that are no-nos (rape, murder, suicide, non-human characters, etc, which always, -always- need approval first and will likely be denied)

You forgot pregnancy. There's new players, it needs to be said. No knocked-up students please. :P

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:42 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Yendys wrote:
Calan wrote:
one of the pre-stated things that are no-nos (rape, murder, suicide, non-human characters, etc, which always, -always- need approval first and will likely be denied)

You forgot pregnancy. There's new players, it needs to be said. No knocked-up students please. :P

Well damn.
There goes my hopes and dreams of spawning an evil successor.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:01 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Yendys wrote:

Calan wrote:

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:56 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Calan wrote:
Yendys wrote:

Calan wrote:

And what's wrong with making sure it's clear?!? :P

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:12 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Yendys wrote:
Calan wrote:
Yendys wrote:

Calan wrote:

And what's wrong with making sure it's clear?!? :P

Let me answer that with another question.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:44 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

D_Black wrote:
Yendys wrote:
Calan wrote:

Well damn.
There goes my hopes and dreams of spawning an evil successor.

Oh ye of little imagination. You have a potions lab and the restricted section of the library and I don't see making evil clones forbidden anywhere in the rules. :P

Oh, you also forgot marriage (although, really, marriage isn't exactly up there with rape as a heinous thing that should be avoided lol).

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:45 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Charity wrote:
Oh ye of little imagination. You have a potions lab and the restricted section of the library and I don't see making evil clones forbidden anywhere in the rules. :P

Clones...bad idea!(scroll down, the first half of the comic is irrelevant)

Charity wrote:
Oh, you also forgot marriage (although, really, marriage isn't exactly up there with rape as a heinous thing that should be avoided lol).

Yeah, but it is post-grad only. No married students running around. Feel free to exchange promise rings or whatever though!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:53 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

The official list can be found in the OOC book in game. And yes post-graduation characters may have one or two of the restrictions lifted, like marriage. Kids is still a question, mostly because of the time issues:

Lance Silverston: "Oh, hello there, I see you're a new student. As the school's 7th Year Happy Ambassador, I welcome you to Hogwarts. Here, have a lolly."
Kid: "Thank you! So happy to be here, my parents went here!"
Lance: "What were their names?"
Kid: "Karen Bonoa and Drado Bolton."
Lance: "What a coincidence, I was the official 7th Year Happy Ambassador back when Karen arrived at school, and I remember when she graduated! And it gets better because Drado Bolton was the 7th Year Happy Ambassador when I arrived at the school!"

See? We already have "time" issues that murder the brain, this one would make brains completely explode.

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:45 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Calan wrote:
The official list can be found in the OOC book in game. And yes post-graduation characters may have one or two of the restrictions lifted, like marriage. Kids is still a question, mostly because of the time issues:

Lance Silverston: "Oh, hello there, I see you're a new student. As the school's 7th Year Happy Ambassador, I welcome you to Hogwarts. Here, have a lolly."
Lance: "What a coincidence, I was the official 7th Year Happy Ambassador back when Karen arrived at school, and I remember when she graduated! And it gets better because Drado Bolton was the 7th Year Happy Ambassador when I arrived at the school!"

See? We already have "time" issues that murder the brain, this one would make brains completely explode.

I'm not sure if it's time or the the alternate realities you speak of that murder the mind.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Calan wrote:

Designated Happiness Ambassador of Warm Welcomes, Lance Silverston

The Basket Case - Drathil Vortec - Seventh Year

"Everybody prefers to see a nut - they're more fascinating." - Penn Jillette

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:05 am 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Kids would also be kind of hard to do as once you get past the stage where you can just use the baby holdable you'd need someone to play them.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Yeah, and then, like siblings, they'd inevitably take on a mind of their own and you'd end up upset, or you'd end up trying to control somebody else's RP and they'd end up upset. Best just to avoid it altogether. No babies, people!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:34 pm 
Azkaban Escapee
Azkaban Escapee

Yendys wrote:
Yeah, and then, like siblings, they'd inevitably take on a mind of their own and you'd end up upset, or you'd end up trying to control somebody else's RP and they'd end up upset. Best just to avoid it altogether. No babies, people!

Although I agree with the no kids, I don't agree with no siblings. I've always wanted to find someone to play siblings with. You just have to accept that the sibling is their char and that you have no control over their personality (just like a real sibling).

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:41 am 
Game Master
Game Master

Charity wrote:
Yendys wrote:

Although I agree with the no kids, I don't agree with no siblings. I've always wanted to find someone to play siblings with. You just have to accept that the sibling is their char and that you have no control over their personality (just like a real sibling).

No siblings? There has been several siblings before (played by separate players) and iirc there were little to no difficulties.

Board index » General » Announcements