WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Announcements

Post subject: A note from SHO
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:22 pm 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

Hey everyone,

The other day, while in the game as a player, I sent a tell to someone. I asked them to refrain from swearing, as it could be offensive to some of our players.

Now, the response I got wasn't all that nice. I can certainly understand that No one likes to be told off for having a "potty mouth" and, I also see how my bringing it up could be a indication of my spiritual beliefs.

Now I feel it necessary to say, that as a 36 year old, who served in the U.S. Navy for 4 years, there is nothing that any of you could type, that would offend me. I could show each of you how to peal paint from a wall with foul language. I choose not to use it on the server, as it would be disrespectful. I don't know everyone well enough to know whether they would be offended, or not. I choose to be respectful, and show some caution.

With all the new players we have had lately, sometimes as many as 40 on at once, please, please set a good example and show what our server is about. Refrain from possibly offending someone, by just not typing something that could be offensive. If you have an absolute need to swear, log out of the server, swear 'til it's out of your system, then come back in. This will not only help you avoid annoying tells from others about your language usage cluttering your screen, but also won't give new players the impression that it is alright to use inappropriate language on the mod.

Thank you.

SHO

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:47 pm 
Azkaban Inmate
Azkaban Inmate

I semi-agree just for the fact that yeah, it could offend people. Especially OOC I would say try your best to not use it.

But IC, I'm in high school and there isn't one day you go without hearing someone swear, it's just what teenagers seem to like to do.

*shrugs*

I'unno. I myself try to not, but I'm sure I could find a few times if I thought about it where Kris has.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:10 am 
Forum Second Year
Forum Second Year

Speaking of OOC... is there a way we can all cut down the //OOC in the Entrance Hall? I think its a bad image of some of the stuff that is done in there that could be done in the Duel Chamber, or other rooms in Hogwarts.
Distracting, too, for those of us who really want to RP.

And, those of us that go AFK in the Entrance Hall? I walk up to someone who is just standing there, want to RP, give a salutation and then just stand there waiting for a reply. I walk off a few minutes later and then they might reply. By that time, I've lost interest in RP. Please, go AFK in the Sign Room. That is what its there for.

:wink:

Jenee

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:42 am 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Both excellent points.

The Sign Room is there for players who need to go afk for a time. Some players already use it this way.

The Entrance Hall is an IC area. Use Tells for OOC, or move to the Sign Room.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:14 pm 
Forum Troll King

OOC chatter I accept, because sometimes I get sucked into it by
accident, so I think it should be allowed to go on. -However- I also
think that once anyone says, "BIC," everyone should take the hint and
get IC.

AFKness in public places annoys the hell out of me. I already go into the
sign room if I think I'll be afk for a long period of time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:16 am 
Forum Sixth Year
Forum Sixth Year

a good remedy too being afk for a long period is log out.. you could just leave instead of going into the signroom, its not like you'll miss something cause you'll miss everything anyway if your in the signroom so yea.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:04 am 
Forum First Year
Forum First Year

Not everyone always has the time to get to the sign room for their afk'ness. If it's that annoying, then what Ray said is good. If you have to very suddenly go afk for a long period of time, logging out is probaby the best thing to do.

If someones afk for a short period of time, like a couple of minutes - wow, get over it. Unless they repeatedly do it. That gets annoying. :wink:

Board index » General » Announcements