WoHP Homepage    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Server » Roleplay

Post subject: Roleplaying for Boredies: Your Character and the DMs (OOC)
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 am 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Roleplay
First of all, Roleplay is the center of this server. If you for some reason haven't noticed, it is a RP server, after all. Many people are under the false impression that if little to no people are on, RP is not possible. Granted I'm not here to tell you Pillar-Hugging is wrong; simply to remind you of the ideas I know haunt each of your devious little brains. I think many of you forget the purpose of the DMs, and more importantly the capability of your Character.

DM-Required RP
You are completely allowed to request to start extensive RP with your character, regarding nearly anything you want, under the supervision of a specific DM. This is very detailed and big RP that will be handled whenever both the DM supervising and the Character at hand are available. These are basically Character Plots and can be very enjoyable for both the Character and even the DM, and even better they can create RP for other players as well as yourself most all the time. Never think that requesting a Character Plot is too much or would be bothering the DM team. I for one am a DM to do things like that, want to help Characters with their Plots, and I believe I can speak for the rest of the DM team on that also. Evolve your Character!

DM-Informed RP
This is a more lenient version of the above style. When progressing your Character Plot, for instance, a DM can not always be present due to time restrictions and being unavailable, or perhaps you simple want to let a DM know what your character has been doing for future RP or consequence. Firstly, there is nothing wrong with sending any DM a Private Message on the Forums or IG (Some DMs don't even mind receiving such Tells while on their Character; myself being one.). Secondly, when trying to progress a Character Plot or something of the like, you can start either a Private Journal with the DM, or a public one that the DM can monitor and give private IG or Forum replies to. With anything dealing with the Forums, make sure you perform the appropriate RP IG. Progress your Character!

DM-Assisted RP
Sometimes you have this urge to do something like build a Squirrel Sanctuary in the Dueling Chamber as a tribute to a specific Squirrel-Favoring Character, but there isn't a Throne option for your to Conjur with your wand! But we all know that in all technicality your Character can conjur anything within reason not of the specific rules against conjuring capabilities. So do you just say screw it and scrap the RP? No! The DM chat is usually always able to be viewed by any player that is a DM, on Character or on Client, it doesn't matter. If you ever need DM assistance performing slightly bigger RP, just ask! A lot of the time a DM might be lounging around in front of a sign, maybe stupidly staring at Entrance Doors for no reason, and is actually bored himself/herself. They could have no problem hopping over and going through the RP to help you create your Squirrel Sanctuary. Or let's say you've been thinking about the in genius idea to let a Rabid Squirrel loose into the school, and you see a DM is currently upstairs! Give us a shout and see if we're busy! If we're on the Client especially, we're there to be on Duty, and to help you. If anything schedule something, "Hey, could you maybe help me RP letting loose a Rabid Squirrel tomorrow?" The best part about this kind of RP is it requires no effort on your part beyond requesting the DM! No Forum requests or processes required, and it's typically instantaneous. Enjoy your Character!

Player-Created RP
The most common of styles everyone should be performing on a regular basis. Basically this is just day-to-day Roleplay. The only difference is, most people don't realize the potential in which they can Roleplay. With this, I simply want to remind everyone of what they're capable of without DM assistance. Let's say you want to bring a large snake into the Entrance Hall... Well you don't need DM permission to do that. You can RP the snake being carried by your Character. What if it gets loose and starts attacking players? Then just perform the RP between you and the Character(s) involved, and use your imagination! Some people might view this as requiring a DM, but this is actually simplistic easy RP that is encouraged from the Players and just the Players. Of course if you're ever unsure on whether the specific RP is alright to be done without a DM, there is NOTHING wrong with a quick shout to DM chat on if the RP can be performed. Typically you might get a quick clarification question if not a direct "Yes" or "No". Use Your Character!

------------------------------

-- Remember that there is nothing wrong with having a DM-Required RP Plot going on, while also one day requesting DM-Assistance on a spur of the moment RP idea, and doing frequent Player-Created RP. The only limit is typically one Character Plot (DM-Required RP) per Player at a time, but other than that the DM team is very good about trying our best to not limit your RP even the slightest.

-- Remember DM Chat is always able to be viewed by ANY DM, whether on Client or on Player! We are always happy to respond as soon as we can to any questions you shoot into DM Chat.

-- Remember that RP is incredibly simple if you put in the effort, and can be the difference between bored Pillar-Hugging and Progressing a Character while helping instill enjoyable RP in other Players who are actually on the Server to do exactly that!

-- There is no chain to this that you have to climb! You in NO way have to start doing Player-Created RP first. You can jump straight to a DM-Required plot, or progress slowly up from Player-Created RP, or do them all.

-- DMs are not Monsters. They are there to help you, the Players. The Players are the only reason we have the position. Unless we ask to be left alone, or say we're busy, we are always MORE than happy to help at any time. We enjoy doing it, just ask!

Some examples of RP ideas for when you're bored:

[ ] Animals, Creatures, and Insects; Oh my! Your RP is not limited to your character! You each have at least one pet for sure, after all. Another if you use your Familiar IC. A personal example of RP I initiated as a Player before my time as a DM: Drathil caught himself a Squirrel. He did some experimenting on his own. Randomly one evening the Entrance Hall Pillar-Huggers were rudely awaken from their AFKness by a screaming Drathil who came plummeting down the Stairs screaming "RABID SQUIRRELS!". He informed them all an experiment went horribly wrong! Luckily for me a DM was on, was intrigued by the RP, and quickly created a 'Wererat' which he renamed 'Rabid Squirrel' and brand down scampering from the stairs to chase Drathil. This caused a huge ruckus in the Entrance Hall and sparked a good deal of RP for many Players.

[ ] Monkey See, Monkey Do! Teach each other things! There is nothing wrong with asking another Character to teach you a spell you don't know instead of waiting for a class! Granted you might be turned down, or maybe they'll teach you. Yes, this does require DM knowledge of the RP, but as long as you keep a DM informed you can learn yourself that fancy new spell without d'em darn classes! Who needs an education anyway?

[ ] Just because you're a Wizard doesn't mean you need to whip your wands out for everything! Sometimes the harder way is the right way. Yes, understandable you're a Wizard, but avoid pulling everything out of your pocket for the sake of convenience! Intrigue RP onto others! "Oh, alright let me go get it from my Commons". Then you might run into someone sitting bored in their Commons, they ask what you're doing, and the party ends up gaining a member! And the poor Common Room-Sitter just ruined his life by accidentally asking Liss a question, and now unannounced to him he's being dragged to The Green Door for a night of crazy RP and acting like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!

[ ] Don't labor under the delusion that you have to... What is the phrase? "Be quiet"? You are in no manner stupid for RPing out loud when alone. This can help lead you in a direction or spark an idea! Or maybe someone walks in while you are, and it sparks RP with them!

[ ] Make yourself a Club! If you want to form the Organization of Tuesday Tea Indulgers, go right ahead, no one is stopping you! Gather Characters, RP together, and decide on times to try and meet ICly while trying to work a little with people's OOC schedules. But if you can, try and give your OOC reasoning an IC reasoning! That's even better!

[ ] Potions, Spells, and Craziness - Harry, Ron, and Hermione boiled a bloody Polyjuice potion in their second year! They managed to obtain a rare Invisibility Cloak their first year. The three stooges managed to fight off a giant Three-Headed Cerberus, learn advanced spells to protect themselves from Azkaban's Finest, battle off Death Eaters, and fight Dragons! Who says you can't, then?! Granted this isn't a free pass to go around saying "Well they did it in the movies, why can't I?" but just understand DONT LIMIT YOUR CHARACTER. If it takes the rest of your School Years spent, and over 5,000 attempts, to make a PolyJuice potion, but you make it, then awesome! You tried and learned you suck at Potions! At least you had fun with it. Do stuff. After all, you're a Wizard, Harry. Who doesn't like creating Drug labs out of abandoned Female Bathrooms? Just ask Brennan!

[ ] Boredom - Last but not least, if you're too lazy for any of this, do what Drathil and Xander do best. Be annoying and do stuff. Sometimes it takes a strong will like Drathil and Xander's to know that the condition of the Entrance Hall needs to be taken into your hands, and if that means carpeting it, then by golly carpet that Entrance Hall.

Above all, try to remember that RP only happens if the Players actually perform it. If you only log on for scheduled events, or when you see 13 people on the server, you're doing it wrong. Because then other people will be doing the same thing. Eventually you will have 15 people staring at a server that says 0/30 Players Online because you're all waiting for someone to suck it up and sit on an empty server, but no one will. Sometimes that's all the server needs; that one person to join it's empty loneliness. Next thing you know someone else is logging on, and typically going straight to the Entrance Hall habitually anyway, so there's someone for you to RP with. Then another person sees two people on RPing, and logs in. They habitually find themselves attracted to the RP and now the three of you are RPing. Eventually more people start logging in, you have a party, there's a herd of Elephants in the Entrance Hall somehow, Seril is drunk in the corner, and Filch has all his clothes off... You never know what happens by sitting inside the server waiting for RP rather than standing outside and looking in waiting for someone to make the sacrafice! And if you want to log in and go AFK or Semi-AFK while you wait for players, that's at least much more encouraged than not logging in at all!

Just remember, the RP is in your hands. Don't always rely on a DM; if anything we're here to help your RP, not hand it to you! The difference between Boredom and a night full of well-versed frivolity is in your hands.

ALSO! Feel free to ask a DM anytime for help thinking up ideas! I for one have plenty of ideas and can come up with them quite quickly also due to so many years of RPing Drathil! We would love to try and help lead you into the right direction! Feel free to let ME know in specific anytime if you want an idea!

Now with all that being said, I would like to inform everyone that I myself am a DM currently empty of a single Character Plot, and happy to work with anyone interested in getting some bigger pictures happening with their Characters. Please feel free to hit me up IG or PM me on here, anyone.

Seriously, don't make me petition for the Pillars to be removed from the Entrance Hall...

Yours Truly, DM Squirrel

"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine, and at last you create what you will." - George Bernard Shaw

The Basket Case - Drathil Vortec - Seventh Year

"Everybody prefers to see a nut - they're more fascinating." - Penn Jillette

Last edited by Necromancer367 on Sat May 10, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I WILL CENTER EVERYTHING! -Squirrel

Post subject: Re: Roleplaying for Boredies: Your Character and the DMs (OO
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:31 pm 
Plant Talker
Plant Talker

Hey! The drug lab was a secret!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:44 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

Glad to see people still read this!

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:44 pm 
Forum First Year
Forum First Year

How far can ya push rp boundaries tho, I always assumed just because an area in the mod didn't have any npc models didn't mean that it wasn't full of people, specially like train stations and $*&!, but peaks my wondering on just how much you can use them. few examples
*Weaves her way thru several playing children on her way up to the counter to get an ice cream*

*Gets momentarily distracted seeing a gorgeous muggle wearing a (insert fav band) shirt pass by*

or say other day I set up a palm reading table in muggleville shouted at passersby even gave a quick reading (shouldn't be against wiz law she failed divination) it was all totally alone during a boredom moment sprinkled with insanity.
guess my question became, is it only alright if its one sided (and has no effects on others chars or the world in general) or can I push it abit further give em a one liner or whatnot, kinda like your pets suggestion.
p.s. sorry if this is wrong spot

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:32 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

The kind of RP you described sounds alright to me. Try to keep it reasonable, no RPing the Queen of England stopping by for a Tarot reading for example. The one thing you can't do is you can't RP for other PCs(for example, emoting that Liss stops by for a reading when she's not actually there).

Sam McKinnon - 6th Year Ravenclaw

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:18 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Yendys wrote:
(for example, emoting that Liss stops by for a reading when she's not actually there).

What about someone polyjuiced as Liss? ;)

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:49 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

D_Black wrote:
Yendys wrote:
(for example, emoting that Liss stops by for a reading when she's not actually there).

What about someone polyjuiced as Liss? ;)

Check in with the DMs for something of that level. ;D

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:51 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

Yes, I agree with Necro. Please avoid RPing that you've got random NPC students polyjuicing as PCs. If you'd like to RP something like that(it could be an interesting miniplot!), contact a DM, and we'll help you out.

Jabari Nwosu * Joshua Tannerman * Lenora Hollings * Lillian Stewart * Maria Bonoa

Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:05 pm 
Game Master
Game Master

Just thought this thread deserves a bump and a reread from everyone.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:17 pm 
Forum Seventh Year
Forum Seventh Year

A frequent bump for this thread is a good idea, thanks Xander.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:34 am 
Game Master
Game Master

Thought I'd leave this here as a friendly reminder.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:17 am 
Game Master
Game Master

After recent events, I feel this song hits base on a few things...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:08 am 
Game Master
Game Master

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is not enough emoting. Even if its something as simple as *whispers quietly with person* or *continues to whisper quietly with person* it livens up areas and makes them more engaging.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
Don't be afraid to ask DMs or others (IC'ly or OOC'ly).
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Also don't be afraid of attempting to bend

There is no passion, there is serenity.
Spice things up! Same ol' thing, different day is dreadfully dull.

There is no chaos, there is harmony
Life needs less sticks up rears and more Xander and Drathil (before someone lodged sticks up their rears) *blames Snape*

There is no death, there is the Force.
No risk, no reward.

#####################################]//[:I'|0L\\:;:\\L0|'I:]//[#####################################

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Passion and conviction are key elements of an engaging story. Hugging pillars all day, every day, is not very engaging.

Through passion, I gain strength.
Gain recognition for what you have done, improving your RP and clearing the path before you...

Through strength, I gain power.
Engage yourself with people and surroundings and be rewarded. (ie: spells, abilities, items, unique story)

Through power, I gain victory.
With these personal gains, your character becomes more intriguing and worthy of song and tale.

Through victory, my chains are broken.
Provided you've followed everything, if not most of everything, your RP will be a/the crowning achievement.

The Force shall free me.
Engaging RP is king!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:42 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

See post above.

-The Server Host

Liss Crest, Slytherin
Kalara Crest, Hufflepuff
Elizabeth Finley, The Moon

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:59 pm 
Azkaban Dementor
Azkaban Dementor

I don't get it. I think I missed the reference. But the advice seems solid I think maybe? :\
-The Head DM

Board index » Server » Roleplay